News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Questions for the experienced festers

Started by ratdog, August 22, 2008, 08:56:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ratdog

I have a bunch of questions

1) Can you bring in bottled water to the fair or do they not allow this and check? How about juice for a toddler?

2) How much are season passes?

3) Although I love the fair and the people watching I'm not a big fan of crowds. Is there a weekend that isn't as packed like maybe Aug 23rd when the state fair is going on?

4) How much is the feast of fantasy and is it worth it? Also would a 2 year old be able to sit through it?

I'm sure I will think of other questions and I appreciate any replies.

MissBubu

1) You can bring in bottled water, and as long as the juice is in the stroller there's no problem bringing that in for the toddler. Last weekend we started allowing everything except alcohol. I don't know if that will continue for the rest of the run, but I really hope it does.

3) I've found that Labor Day is the lightest crowd day.

ladiedragon

Season passses are about..70.00 i think.

Feast of fantasy i'm not 100% sure aobut but i think its' about 65.00 or 70..0 person. I'm not sure how much a 2 year old would be ableto stay put in there, it can get quite loud and you get pretty close to you neighbor. It's about 2 hours of entertainment for various people, andyou are served food and drink with every meal. I enjoyed it last year, thats why i am going again this year. To me, it's worth it.

ratdog

Thanks for the replies....so does this mean that anything can be brought in such as gatorade, snapple, etc...as long as you don't bring in a sixer of beer?

Sitara

I wouldn't flaunt that you have it.  And apparently this is new this year, when I used to not work at fest, you were not allowed to bring in any outside food or beverages.  In fact, when I went out of faire last week, I was mug checked both going out and back in.
Beer wenches are the best wenches!

Muffin

Hi!!

Being able to bring in outside food and drink must be a new rule this year, as it has always been a no-no.. I do believe you have always been able to bring in formula and baby/toddler needs.. If you are carrying a back pack or have a stroller, my guess is they are not going to search you..  :)

I would maybe double check with the MNRF office, 800-966-8215.

Season passes are around $70 I think, and can be purchased at the ticket booth/main gate.

The Feast of Fantasy runs about $80 per person, they have a promotion going on right now for a few weekend days at $65 per person (Sunday 8/24, Monday 9/1, and Festival Friday 9/26) The crowd can get quite rowdy, and it is held in the Bad Manor building (Which is not a huge room) so it will be cozy and could be a little warm, so a 2 year old may not enjoy it for long.. I suppose though it depends on the kid, and you would know best..

Labor Day weekend is usually busy as it is the "beer weekend", as is the "wine" weekend (9/13 and 9/14) one of the least busy days is Festival Friday (9/26) this is a day where school groups attend the festival, there are some special activities for the younger crowd, however not all vendors and booths are open that day, but it is definetly a quieter day at fest.. All the other weekends are hit or miss, it will really depend on the weather.. I have not noticed in past years that the State Fair has pulled any business on the weekends...

Hope this has helped some...  :)
A Captains Wench

It's always Beer:30 here....

*sigh* So many kilts, so little time......

Ette

MissBubu

I work the third shift at front gate. Normally we don't let in anything besides water or stuff that's obviously meant for babies and toddlers in strollers. This year, however, the equipment at the soda booths wasn't brought in and they had to sell sodas in bottles. People were getting irate when we weren't letting the bottles back in. So, last Sunday an executive decision was made for the front gate staff that we would be letting in everything except alcohol. I'll find out tomorrow morning if this still holds but won't be near my computer until Monday to let anyone know. Don't bother calling MAF at the office, they won't know anything about it.

ratdog

I talked to a wench in the office who said anyone bringing in water or snacks will be beheaded.

MissBubu

Quote from: ratdog on August 22, 2008, 10:22:58 AM
I talked to a wench in the office who said anyone bringing in water or snacks will be beheaded.

Sorry, not true, all weapons are peace tied.

;D

Random Girl

1) Can you bring in bottled water to the fair or do they not allow this and check? How about juice for a toddler?
Yeah typically it's ok...you might get some flack but it usually isn't a huge deal.  Food is the big crankyness

2) How much are season passes? $74.95 for adults I think

3) Although I love the fair and the people watching I'm not a big fan of crowds. Is there a weekend that isn't as packed like maybe Aug 23rd when the state fair is going on? I'd say this weekend would be your best bet.  But it is also highland weekend so it could go either way.

4) How much is the feast of fantasy and is it worth it? Also would a 2 year old be able to sit through it? Feast is I think $90?  It includes your ticket for the day, a 7 course meal and all the booze (or non-booze) you'd like.  It is probably not going to be a good time for a 2 year old.  It is loud, bawdy (or can be depending on the crowd) and it is about 2 hours long.  They would get very restless.
~~Nessa~~
Safety Services Maven of Midnight
Crew member of the S.S. Hookers and Blow
Odissimur Iocos - We hate fun

MissBubu

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

In regards to bottled water, patrons with small cnildren or those who have medical needs like Diabetics, should not be kept from having at least water bottles. I, at times, have an empty bottle that I fill up a the privies. The Earl is Diabetic and drinks a gallon or more of water during a full day at faire.  I need to stay hydrated as well.

We do buy food and alcoholic beverages while at Faire. It's only fair.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Random Girl

Quote from: Lady Kathleen of Olmsted on August 22, 2008, 12:01:09 PM
I, at times, have an empty bottle that I fill up a the privies

Would you like to rephrase that or am I ok to just go EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Don't buy blue slushies or I just might puke.
~~Nessa~~
Safety Services Maven of Midnight
Crew member of the S.S. Hookers and Blow
Odissimur Iocos - We hate fun

Muffin

Sorry Ness... Had to be done.. hee hee!!  :D

:-* kisses to Bacardi for the picture!!
xoxo
A Captains Wench

It's always Beer:30 here....

*sigh* So many kilts, so little time......

Ette

Ren Jen

On the water thing, I have been trying to convince Sleepy that it would be OK for the kids to get mini hydration packs and carry their own water.  He keeps getting stuck on the idea that they just don't look right at ren fest.  I am still going to get them though for any other places we might visit that sell outrageously priced water.

I have been doing searches for small replacement bladders.  My thought is if I can find a bladder that holds about a liter I can somehow construct a canvas back pack to put it in and the kids can look ren like and carry their own water.  But I want to make it to a real store first and check (price) them out IRL first.