News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Questions for the experienced festers

Started by ratdog, August 22, 2008, 08:56:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Quote from: harem_pants on August 22, 2008, 12:19:11 PM
Quote from: Lady Kathleen of Olmsted on August 22, 2008, 12:01:09 PM
I, at times, have an empty bottle that I fill up a the privies

Would you like to rephrase that or am I ok to just go EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Don't buy blue slushies or I just might puke.

Nothing to EEEEEWWWWW  About!!  I see patrons filling up their water bottles from the running faucets  and drinking fountains at Faire. I have not gotten sick, ever!!! It beats having to pay $2.50 each time for a  20 oz. bottle of water.  That adds up when I tend to drink 3 to 4 litres in a  day when at faire.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Rage

Yeah REI and places like that have those for hiking. We used them for canoing.

Before that We made our own.

Basically a 1/2 gallon or what ever size milk jug, put a hole in the cover and use and clear rubber tube (non-toxic). You can seal them pretty well. You could make it look like a loot bag or something.

Escarlata

Quote from: Ren Jen on August 22, 2008, 02:08:40 PM
My thought is if I can find a bladder that holds about a liter I can somehow construct a canvas back pack to put it in and the kids can look ren like and carry their own water. 

RenJen, Check the link that Thistle put in to the Finished projects for his tutorial on "Making A Wineskin." It may accomplish what both you and Sleepy want.
Esc be no lady!
Bringing Good and Bad Dreams...as appropriate
FaireNews-spreading the Joy of Faire, one post at a time

Noble Dreg

Quote from: Lady Kathleen of Olmsted on August 22, 2008, 02:31:57 PM
Quote from: harem_pants on August 22, 2008, 12:19:11 PM
Quote from: Lady Kathleen of Olmsted on August 22, 2008, 12:01:09 PM
I, at times, have an empty bottle that I fill up a the privies

Would you like to rephrase that or am I ok to just go EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Don't buy blue slushies or I just might puke.

Nothing to EEEEEWWWWW  About!!  I see patrons filling up their water bottles from the running faucets  and drinking fountains at Faire. I have not gotten sick, ever!!! It beats having to pay $2.50 each time for a  20 oz. bottle of water.  That adds up when I tend to drink 3 to 4 litres in a  day when at faire.

I believe the "EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW" was the original phrasing could have indicated "filling" the bottle without aid of a "drinking fountain".  I must admit I thought along a similar path but most of us on this site are a tad "bent" anyway!   ;D
"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

HannahLeeDee

We always bring in a few bottles of water for our dog. :)

peggyelizabeth

of course, there's always a Fest Friends membership which gets you unlimited water and lemonade all season long....

(here ends shameless plug)

Baron Doune

And the Baron and Baroness for 9:30 till 11:30.

This Sat will be lessons in making the correct trot sound with the coconuts....thank you.

(i do get paid for this don't I Peggy?)

Kiss-me-Kate

Does the girl need to bring her coconuts?  She is sorely lacking in the trot sound dept.  I won't let her watch Monty Python yet.
~ Notouchin' M'Crack
Pucker Up!

Baron Doune

sorry in a Pyton marathon right now....

but yet the trot is a basic thing....next week the cantor in the french style.

Thistle

Thanks for the plug Escarlata!

I saw an even easier solution at our faire not long ago actually - a gal had taken of those self-same bladders and just sewn a plain rectangular "pocket" for it from upholstery fabric - she might have even used drapery cordage for a strap, I can't remember. There was just a hole at the top for the spout. What struck me as fun though was what she did with the cap - she just made a cover from Sculpey and glued it right on there!

Maybe not perfectly period, but it was pretty, and didn't look at all out of place hanging by the tents there. Clever!