News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Trip to the Dragon's Cave

Started by CountessofPhoenix, May 11, 2008, 02:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poldugarian Warrior

"Well, as I had mentioned to the Countess. Why Vandor did you not tell us you are a king? It would've been nice to know. Unless you wished to be treated like a commoner to see how one of your subjects lives. At any rate, I hear you need to sire a child." Dave says all of this as he rummages through his satchel that is hung on the back of his chair. "Here." Dave hands the guard a ginseng plant to hand to Vandor. "Just in case, my friend." Dave says with a grin. The group and King Vandor all have a small chuckle. "Actually I have gifts for evryone, I picked them up at the Countess' uncle's shop. Shall we wait until after evryone's eaten and drank their fill, or shall I hand them out now? Dave asks the group as he grabs a leg of lamb from the silver platter, upon the multicolored marble table. The table was unlike anythin anyone in the group had seen it was all marble and was of evry color of the rainbow, and of the earth. A magnificent table, that only a closed culture without outside pressures could craft and use without fear of someone stealing away. In a way the table to Dave symbolized the world and the colors running through it the elements in which man's goods are made, and the meat,fruits, and vegetables the foliage and fauna omn which man feeds to sustain himself and the lumber on which buildings are constructed. The tables magnificence is what brought out this outburst of philosophy in Dave, of course he always thought in these terms, but never really talked out loud about them and he wouldn't this timeither. As he just stared away at the table and casually viewed all that was placed upon it.

CountessofPhoenix

Vandor begins as the rest are eating," Few can appreciate the need for stealth and privacy, but you, my friends and compatriots, probably have a better understanding than most. It has been recorded since the ealy times that one day one of our kings would gather together a great troop of warriors embued with heroism and mythical properties. Great magic would be in their possesion and they would together free the oppressed and return the future of our kingdom. I realized that if this group were to be found someone would have to go beyond the walls of our kingdom to find them. However these people had to come here of their own desires, not to fulfill some prophecy. So I chose to keep my identity to myself. I believe we are the ones that will restore my kingdom to its greatness. Before me sits 2 wizards of extraordinary skill. Three warriors whose skills far excel any I have seen before, and the Phoenix whose tears can heal almost any wounds. On her wings rests the fates of those held captive by the Gorgon."
Astonished the group around the table look at Countess. "Why didn't you help to heal Vandor from his wounds?" asks Dave.
"I cannot help anyone in this form, and to tranform into the bird under such adverse conditions as we were facing, puts all of us at risk. Had Vandor truly been dying I would have helped him, but I knew his wounds with the help of Queen Bonnie's magick were not fatal."
Countess of Phoenix
Descendant of Celtic Nobility
Designer Extraordinaire
We are only limited by what we can dream

Martin Montgomery

Martin listened to Vandor's explanation with a closed mouth ,as he had been advised by Alphonse and looked around at the grandeur of simplicity that was the only way he could explain the spacious cavern dug deep into the very rock under the large stone edifice that must be Vandor's home. Huge pillars of Ebony stone had been left every twenty steps to support the weight of the stone ceiling fifteen feet above their heads, small alcoves or niches set eight feet from the floor held magikal flames that gave off a smokeless,heatless light that fed off of small stones that had been charmed by a Dragonman Vizier,or Wizard. Many semiprecious stones sparkled in a rainbow of colors that cascaded up and down the pillars and served to spread the riotous light cast by the flames,spidery veins of gold,silver,copper and many other much less noble metals like red iron and grayish zinc wound around each of the massive supports in a design that shown under the lustrous shine that the pillars were smoothed by the wondrous Dragonman Craftsmen. Martin's eyes traveled to the table set by their hosts,fresh fruits and vegetables were piled next to whole roasted fish and fowl, joints of pork and mutton shared space with many other meats, breads and bowls of cooked grain. The service that held the bounty ranged from simple turned wooden bowls and carved trays to fanciful silver service obviously traded or stolen from a human village or town. The merchant picked up a solid silver tea service that was formed in the style of ages past,it was worth more than Martin could even guess! He'd seen something less extravagant being used in Queen Bonnie's palace in Glen Livet. "Dear Martin!" Var nudged him in the ribs rather solidly "I know that you are not as avaricely minded as you now appear!" She whispered lowly "But if you intend to take up theft as a sideline leave the rest of us out!!" The big man set the lovely tea pot down and turned a wonderful shade of scarlet, looking so abashed that the Ranger chuckled at his embarrassment, "It's allright my friend! I also am in awe of the history that is being used as intended instead of put away for study. Study it if you must,be more subtle!!"   
Half the man I used to be!! 
Landshark#79      
Member of Culloden Moor

CountessofPhoenix

As the meal draws to close Vandors says,"Rest well my friends for tomorrow we must peril than we first thought. My informants have just today received word that they are now in even even greater danger than we had originally thought. Come the dawn we will be long gone."
And with that the evening was drawn to an abrupt close.
Countess of Phoenix
Designer Extraordinaire

Alphonse

Early the next morning,as promiced, before sunrise, the party was wakened and prepared to make ready. Outside Alphonse sat in the back of his old grey cart fussing around the items that he kept back there.At a casual glance the cart always looked more empty then full, but no matter what the need, it always seemed like the wizard could find whatever it was that he needed there.

Looking over the side into the cart Queen Bonnie asked,"lose something, or just busy at nervous preparations?" "Most likely the later, my lady, but one could hardly fault me if it were so", said the old wizard," you know as well as I what we will likely face and what is at stake." "Indeed I do, but worry will not a single foe,slay", replied the Queen."You are of course right again",said the wizard as he slid down out of the back of the cart and walked around checking the horse's harness one last time before climbing up to the seat."Mark it down as one of my bad habits, right above my love of the pipe" spoke the wizard around the mouth piece of his old unlit church warden pipe.

"If I were one to make lists, I would no doubt mark it as at least one if not more, below the pipe", said the Queen as she mounted the horse Vandor had provided. At hearing that, Martin broke out with a hardy laugh. Looking at the merchant in mock surprise, Alphonse said with a smile, "monks in their monasteries need not ever look to you to become their apprentice, good sir.""No doubt, broken vows of silence being the least of their worries", said the merchant as he mounted his horse. Now it was the old wizards turn to laugh.Watching them all begin to mount up and ride off,Var in the lead. Phoenix watched them and worried as to how many of them would make it back.Quessing at her thoughts Vandor said as he checked his saddle bags,"remember the Queen's words about worry, instead use that same energy to see that as many as might, do indeed come back."

PurpleDragon

Watching silently as the party prepares to leave,  ensuring that all of their horses are well rested and if not that fresh ones were provided to them. Vandor stands and calls for their attention before the embark on the next phase of their journey.
"My Friends," he begins, "today we begin the most dangerous portion of the trek.  For today, we make our way to the Dragon's Cave. The perils that await us are reported to be the most dangerous of any we have seen up to this point.  I trust that with the magick and strength on our side, we should emerge victorious and the eggs shall remain safe until we return them here where my people can watch over them and rear the hatchlings properly as we have done for many centuries now. This being the last clutch we must ensure their survival to continue the Dragons bloodline."  When he finished speaking he signaled for his guards to ensure that the way out of the village was clear of all traffic and the party began their journey, Vandor walking beside them.   As they travelled through the village, the inhabitants lined the streets to watch them go, but nobody cheered for they all knew too well what lay ahead for this ragtag group and would save their cheering for those that returned upon the tasks completion.
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

CountessofPhoenix

Leaving from the other side of the valley than that where they had entered, the troop headed south. The stillness of the night was oppresive and the mood didn't change with the coming of the dawn. As the light grew around them a more desolate sight had seldom been seen by human eyes. Scorch marks were in abundance and remains of bloody battles were everywhere. Bleached skeletons watched them with their sightless eyes and the bones of enormous beasts long forgotten from human memory dotted the landscape.

They had only thought that the desert of the vile Mummy Queen had been a place of such loss and despair. But nothing lived in this landscape. The air vibrated with heat and the prayers for some type of shade was soon heard on the lips of the travelers. Afraid to ask questions for fear of what the answers would be they traveled in silence. Unknowingly they were doing the safest thing possible, for to make any noise could call attention to themselves. As the day lengthened so too did their shadows and soon it seemed that there were twice as many in their group as there actually were.
Countess of Phoenix
Designer Extraordinaire

PurpleDragon

The time for rest has come as the horses and their riders grew weary from being in the saddle all day, Vandor suggested they travel just a little longer to a place he knew was safe and protected.  When they arrived they found a boulder blocking the entrance to a cavern,  Vandor spoke the words "Maktir Retramna", or something that sounded like that and the boulder shimmered and rolled to the side.  "Quickly now, everyone inside, horses included".  Once the last of them passed beyond the boulder, it rolled slowly back into place.  Inside, there was room enough for all to dismount and settle themselves in for a nights rest. A small spring bubbled up from the ground in the center of the cavern providing them fresh water. The lichen on the rock walls glowed softly, and yet was bright enough they could see clearly.  "I had my people create this haven for travelers who would for whatever reason wander into this area.  Those that do not "belong" here do not know this place exists, and those that come in here know the rules.  Take nothing but what you need, and leave something for the next. We shall be leaving the extra barrels from Alphonse's wagon which contains dried meats and such."  Alphonse smiles,  "I was wondering what you had your people put on there. 'Tis a grand idea if you ask me, it makes it certain that the next traveler shall have food and repays our debt to this place. I'm beginning to see why your people made you their King Vandor, your wisdom and generosity is beyond that which most men would comprehend."  Vandor chuckled softly,  "They did not make me their King good sir.  I was fortunate enough to pass all the trials set forth by our ancient founders and that is what entitled me to be King.  You see, when the King is near his death, he is said to have a vision of those that are worthy to replace him.  He calls them together and they are all put through the trials and tests as set forth by the ancients. The one that passes, or more correctly survives them all, is thereby appointed to the position of King upon the death of the current ruler.  That being said, when you hear my people saying "Long Live The King", they mean it... none of them want to be "chosen" to take the trials.  Then again, it is more likely that it will be one of their offspring that is selected to take them, so his rule will last longer.  I however have a strange inkling that one of those I am to foresee will be a female.  What that means is that for the first time in six centuries, my people will be ruled by a Queen, and she will not have an easy job. Of course, I still have quite a few years ahead of me yet, I'll not be calling forth anyone anytime soon.  Please enjoy the food, relax, replenish the water supplies and get some rest.  Tomorrow we reach Dragon Mountain and begin our ascent to the Cave.  That is when the real adventure begins my friends."
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Alphonse

Early the next morning the party gathered at the cave door as Vandor spoke his magic words and the large stone rolled away to reveal the sunrise.After a night spent in the cave it seemed to be an increadably bright one. Stepping outside once again the group began to mount up on their horses, preparing to make the last leg of the journey to recover the last clutch of dragon eggs.

Shading his eyes with his hand the wizard Alphonse looked off to some clouds to the north. The ranger Var stood nearby obviously watch the same thing. "What is it that your eyes perceive there among the clouds?" asked the old man. "Giant eagles, I think", came the young rangers reply. "Good" answered the wizard,"I dared not to hope at such good luck.

Climbing up behind the reins of his cart, the old wizard lit his pipe and started his cart forward. Either way, for good or evil the quest would before this day was done, he thought to himself."Soon I will be home, little one" he mumbled quietly to himself, as his thoughts turned to his birds.

PurpleDragon

Hearing the exchange between the old wizard and Var, Dave has a slight chuckle at the "Eagles" comment. "Var", says Dave, "Do you honestly believe those to be Giant Eagles among those clouds knowing we are heading to that area now as our destination"?  "Not really", replied Var, "but one can hope now can't one?  None of us truly wishes to encounter any full grown Dragons, there is only one of us that might actually survive such an encounter and from the wounds he received the day we arrived at his village, let's just say "survive" is only a brief description of what will happen."  Dave nodded, the smile now gone from his face. He had never actually seen a Dragon up close, other than Theodorious, Arthorious, and of course Vandor and his people, and really had no desire to get into a fight with one.  He did know though that their current journey was going to take them directly into the home and nesting area of the Dragons. This intrigues him as he truly does want to see if the rumors of the Dragon's having massive fortunes being horded by them are true.  Being the businessman that he is, he is always on the look out for a new venture after all.

Queen Bonnie, sits astride her horse, Tachi has taken position riding on the horses head, he tries to talk to the beast but has no luck.  "why won't it talk to me" he asks Queen Bonnie.  "HE is not as intelligent as you and does not have the ability to speak Tachi,  Not all animals can develop that ability, even if I were to aid him magically, it is highly doubtful he would master the art of speech in time for you to carry on any semblance of a conversation with him."  Tachi sighed "Oh, well, his loss I suppose".
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

CountessofPhoenix

Tess road up beside of Vandor, "When I was imprisoned in the crystal, sometimes people would enter and yet they would see nothing in there. The black crystals caused them to not see what was in the cave. If we gathered th black crystals that any of us may have, we might be able to by us some time to reach the eggs, without the "Eagles" noticing us. But once we use them they will no longer have any powers to hide us in the future. As you are the leader for this part of our journey, I think you should be the one to decide."

Looking back at the brave women and men who followed him, Vandor says, "I cannot guarantee anyones safety, but I think we should use whatever resources we have to give us a fighting chance."

And so Vandor calls his group of warriors around him and explains Tess'es plan. Some of the members never quite comfortable with the use of magick hestitated, but when they saw how easy it was to scatter the black crystals around them in a circle. Then Queen Bonnie and Alphose intoned a few mysterious words and it was done. They appeared to each other to be the same as before the brief ceremony.

"I guess the only way we'll know if it worked or not is if something attacks us," Martin says with a nervous timber to his voice.

"Prepare for the worst and be surprised if we don't have to fight, Var replies.

"The worst," Dave says, "why does it always have to be the worst." And as he shakes his head they all chuckle softly, and then turn to face what is down the road.
Countess of Phoenix
Designer Extraordinaire

Poldugarian Warrior

"It's a good thing I gathered alot of black crystals back there. We will surely need them. On the way out of the cave as well. For we will certainly have the clutch o eggs at that time and we definitely don't want anythin to spoil our delivery of them back to Vandor's village." Dave said. In confidence, yet looking wearily and with a heavy sigh to the heavens where the "Eagles" glided and dove above the mountain tops. Dave rode up to Vandor to ask him if doing business with these dragons would be profitable and would they even wish to give up any of their treasure for any sort of price.

PurpleDragon

Vandor listened to Dave's proposition about possible trade with the Dragons with earnest. "I've never thought about it, but they do have much to offer your kind.  Their kind has been around much longer than most and they have vast knowledge that will surely be lost should they not survive.  When we arrive at the cave, I will see if it can be arranged for you to meet with their council, who knows maybe this could ensure the safety of both species".  Dave smiled at the prospect of being the man who negotiated a trade deal between humans and Dragons, his name would by synonymous with successful business deals in the future. Suddenly, Vandor took off running ahead, soon he was out of sight and the rest of the party stopped as each of them wondered what was going on.  "What was that about", asked Queen Bonnie, Alphonse looks up from the carriage and peers off in the direction Vandor ran.  "Looks like it was something easily dealt with, here he comes back again." Everyone looked, he was right, here came Vandor back to the party but, he was not alone... Trotting along beside him was a young Dragon, red in color and roughly twice the size of Vandor himself when he transformed to his Dragon form.  That would put the Dragon at being as tall as the second story windows of Phoenix's father's home, and half as wide.  "This is Aneema, He is the sentry for the Dragons, and I knew he was going to be there as he has never left his post without good reason.  I wanted to bring him to you, rather than have you stumble across him.  He knows full well why you are here; apparently word of your quest has travelled faster than you have travelled." Vandor stated as he lead Aneema to the party who were all still standing there just watching their approach.
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Poldugarian Warrior

"These guys are huge." Dave whispered to Martin. As they stood and waited for Aneema and Vandor. "I don't think their gonna want to trade with us. I mean they have evrythin and to give it up for pieces of gold or even food stuffs would be worth little to them and besides they could kill us in one fell swoop if need be if a deal went bad. Well, I'll prepare for the worst, but hope for the best." Dave ended and lit his pipe.

"Well, here's your chance to make a good first impression." Martin whispered back to Dave as Vandor and Aneema drew nearer.

CountessofPhoenix

As the twosome approached, Aneema begins to furtively sniff the air. He leans down and asks Vandor a question. Vandor begins to laugh as he approaches. "Dave, Aneema wants to know what that wonderful smell is that you have enveloped yourself with?" Vandor asks with a wink. "Never has he smelled such an odor and he would be willing to honor your request if you would but share this knowledge with him."
Amazed that such a powerful being as Aneema would value such a common herb as tobacco, Dave and Martin look at each other confused. Alphonse seeing their confusion places a hand on each ones shoulder and says," Do not judge a things value by your own measurement, but by the unknown. What we think of as being common, in other circumstances could be the rarest of items. If you are an oyster, pearls are just part of a bad meal that lingers forever, but if you are from the mountains, pearls are truly remarkable." And with that Alphonse goes to greet the new arrival.
Countess of Phoenix
Designer Extraordinaire