News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Trip to the Dragon's Cave

Started by CountessofPhoenix, May 11, 2008, 02:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poldugarian Warrior

"Well, you see Aneema, we call this leaf tobacco. And this long instrument hanging from my lip is called a pipe. You put the tobacco in the end of the pipe called a bowl, then use a flint and spark it with a blade to catch some tinder on fire, then light the leaves in the bowl. Then inhale deeply a few times and then exhale the smoke. Depending on what the tobacco is flavored with or how it is cured/dried in its pure form a tobacco can have a sweet, spicy flavor,bitter, citrusy, or a good mix of a little of each. Tobacco can also be chewed. Medicinal benefits are,it has a calming effect, but also provides a bit of energy, but not the jittery type when as if coffee or chocolate are ingested. But, coffee and chocolate are good they give you great amounts of energy and taste pretty good." Dave explained this as if he was marketing the products like in a long speech, but he also wanted the dragon to be well educated on the subjects.

"I'd also like to know what this chocolate and coffee is you speak of." Aneema replied.

"Here, I'll let you smoke the rest of the bowl of my pipe, and if you like it, I'll give you some more, and I'll explain what chocolate and coffee are. In fact my friend Martin and Alphonse may also have some sorts of herbs,spices, and foods you may be interested in." Dave told him as they all decided to take a seat on some logs on the side of the path.

It was at this time that Dave had thought that trade could be established and at reasonable rates, the dragons would be able to get goods they other wise would never get, and they could sell them for profit as we would make a profit selling these goods to the dragons and what ever goods they trade with us we could sell in our markets. And the dragons and humans would work toward the common goal of providing rare goods to each other. And all would feel useful to society. But, of course his mind unfortunate as it was wondered back to reality, and knew that once other people found out about what the dragon's had they would try and take it from them and Dave didn't want to see that happen. But it was up to the dragons if they wanted to open themselves to trade so it wouldn't be him that brought on the hardships, but the dragons themselves. Dave tried to think his way around the negatives to try to distance himself and any of the dragons that would bring such prosperity to the kingdom, but then have it taken away in a short time, so as they wouldn't be held responsible, but he knew better. Dave sat and pulled out his goods from his saddle bags showing Aneema the chocolate and coffee beans. and even some tea leaves. Cinnamon and Cardamon. Poppy Seeds, Nutmeg. Martin and Alphonse pulled out several other spices and herbs, also some tools and books and jewelry from the wagon of like none that the dragons have seen. At this time, they all gravitated towards a small short cave that sheltered them and they took a break while they sort of took a quick inventory of their goods, as well.

CountessofPhoenix

As they stood inside the cavern, they began to hear soft scratching sounds. Like wings on leather. Looking closer Vandor began to notice the carvings on the wall. Afraid to become excited at the mere thought of where they were, Vandor casually begins to read the hieroglyphs around the room. Noticing his interest Tess walks up and says, "It would be bad planning to have only one entrance and exit to the nursery area of any species. After all that I have seen, your people are far from bad planners Vandor. In fact it seems to me they always have a contingency plan ready for any emergency."
Vandor replies,"But surely it can't be this easy?"
Alphonse reminds Vandor,"My friend, while we may be within the mountain with the eggs, we have yet to reach their inner chamber, and I suspect the surprise is what's behind door number 2!" And with that all eyes are drawn to a slightly opened doorway at the side of the cave.
Countess of Phoenix
Descendant of Celtic Nobility
Designer Extraordinaire
We are only limited by what we can dream

Martin Montgomery

Martin looked up from his open trade packs and gave a sudden start,spilling several of the small bags filled with spices,Aneema cocked his head to one side and motioned towards the big man for silence. "Martin!" He hissed ,his long tongue flicked between his teeth. "You heard that sound?"  Raising up from his squatting position Martin winced as both of his knees popped loudly,he quickly slipped one of his long fighting knives from it's sheath on his hip and quietly moved towards the far end of the cave,where the light scratching emanated from. The Dragonman Guard,Aneema, silently moved in concert to the other side of a widening crack in the granite wall.,a wickedly curved blade in his clawed hands.Several of the straight lines in the intricate carvings could now be seen as the outlined edges of a wide rectangular doorway that was,even as the two flanked it,opening with barely a sound! Queen Bonnie,Alphonse and Tess stood back from the dark doorway,each at least partially sheltered behind massive stone pillars or rock formations, each one readying a spell,charm or incantation. Var and Dave stood out of their line of fire with bows drawn,razor sharp arrows pulled back fully! As the doorway finished opening a dim light could be seen from within, a faint sound could be heard from inside!   
Half the man I used to be!! 
Landshark#79      
Member of Culloden Moor

CountessofPhoenix

Inside the hidden room there glowed a soft pink light. Following the scratching sound they enter progressively smaller caverns until finally they are face with a tunnel. Here the scratching sound is larger another sound seems to permeat the very walls surrounding them. A thrumming sound like drums being softly beaten. As the caverns got smaller those who could continue on had likewise diminished, and now only the three women remained. Looking from one to the other the three have to decide who enters this tunnel first. Finally it is decided that Var would be the first to see the inner chamber, followed by Queen Bonnie, and finally Tess would protect the rear. One by one the women enter the tunnel. As she lights the inner room with her crystals they stand there amazed by the sight. In a nest. obviously used for eons, seven glowing dragons's eggs.
Countess of Phoenix
Designer Extraordinaire

Poldugarian Warrior

All of the men of the group were left outside of this tunnel to cover the rear, and they for obvious reasons couldn't enter any further. But, they all stood ready with swords, knives, and staffs at the ready. "What do you see?" Martin tried to whisper loudly, if that was possible. There was no response the women were astonished by what they held before them. Then a few moments went by there was a large crack and some rocks fell from the top of the cavern. Then it happened again. And over and over again. Alphonse summoned his powers and a small bird was summoned from the woods outside. Then the bird took a seat on Alphonse's shoulder and sang into his ear. and took off just as quickly as he'd  been summoned. "What did the bird say?" Dave asked with great earnest.

" She's back." Alphonse said with a grin, but with confidence no harm would come to them. You see the dragon smelled us for over miles away and knew we were close, but not inside yet, but now she knows. I must go speak with here, you all stay inside here. The wise wizard told the men. The women come from out of the nest. Queen Bonnie knew what was going on and with out stopping to speak with the rest of the group followed Alphonse out to also converse with the dragon or go to battle with it if need be.

"We can't just stay here and let them go alone." Dave said. as he followed just far enough behind them so that they wouldn't see him. Vandor followed hoping he could also be of assistance since he knew all the dragon languages/dialects. Var, Martin, and The Countess stayed behind so that the eggs would be easily accessible if the entrance to the cave had gotten blocked by a cave in or what not, and these three have always been good at finding an easy way out of a problem no matter what or whom was involved.

Martin Montgomery

Martin asked Tess "My Lady,tell me,I must know.......... the nest...........are the eggs safe? How many are there? What colors are there!" Tess' light laughter at the rapidfire questions brought the big man to his senses. "My apologies,My Lady. This trip has passed from fun and  adventure to the future life of a race older than any other and I admit,my curiosity has gotten the best of me." Visibly pausing to calm himself,the usually jolly merchant fairly radiated his excitement. "All this time.........I have truly enjoyed the past months............I have made friendships on this adventure that will last beyond my own lifetime..........." At last he regained composure and closed his eyes. A single tear ran down his face,getting lost in the unshaven growth that covered his cheeks. "I was beginning to doubt that we would ever..........." Var moved close to the mountainous man and she took his large hand in both of hers. "Martin, my friend,we have been involved in this quest since it's begining. Since before we knew that the future of the Dragons lay with this,The Last Nest." She released his hand with her right and reached up to lightly strike the surprised merchant on both cheeks,forhand then backhand. "But now that we have found it and we know it exists!" His cheeks showed red where her open hand had struck and his eyes narrowed focusing intently on the Ranger's next words. Her index finger inches from his nose "We must finish the task, finding the Last Nest means nothing if we cannot  insure it's safety! We must stay vigilant!" The big man nodded once and clasped Var's shoulder giving it a single squeeze. "I understand,my friend. I am fine now! Thank you!" Moving towards the passageway that led to the Last Nest,he kneeled and took off his beret," We are really here!" He whispered to himself.
Half the man I used to be!! 
Landshark#79      
Member of Culloden Moor

Alphonse

Stepping back outside into the bright sunlight Alphonse was dazzled by the brilliant light reflected from the scales of the ancient golden female dragon that stood before him.From the hiss and posturing of the dragon the old wizard knew that he stood but a hairs breadth from death.Slowly he raised his open hand and spoke,"Theodorious sent us to provide what aid that we might give".

On hearing the man's words the dragon stood straight up and spoke,"your a liar and your cruel use of my long dead mates name will only buy you an even worse form of death".Stepping out and around Alphonse,Queen Bonnie spoke,"dragonkind's mastery of magic is legendary,and one who is as ancient and powerful as you should have no trouble disearning the truth in all this,search his heart and mind and learn the truth of his words before you act".

Now it was the old and bent wizards turn to snap straight up as he did so he levitated slightly a foot or so from the ground the stiff breeze catching him he turned slowly.As he turned back to again to face Bonnie she saw a tear roll down his cheek,matching exactly the one she saw on the dragon's face.The old wizard dropped and collapsed to the ground but immediately came up on one knee as he struggled to regain his feet. As he did so the dragon spoke,"it is true then he still lives,the years have not been kind to him, I almost didn't recognize him".Bonnie reached down to help the wizard up,it was obvious to her that much of his difficultly came from the disconcerting effects of the dragon having entered his mind.

Alphonse

"Thank you", said the wizard as he regained his footing."She intends to go to him", he said to Queen Bonnie."It will be our job to gather the eggs and safe guard them for her during the journey". "Wouldn't it be more prudent to bring Theo to the clutch?" asked Bonnie.

"I do not think she believes him well enough to make the journey,the tear we shed was at the realization of how fragile his health has become  and at the remorse of the knowledge of how effective the evil dragon who attacked them so long ago, was in creating the illusion that led them each to believe the other was dead.

"It is fool hardy to risk the last clutch even for love", replied the Queen."Indeed, I agree and would gladly make the trip to bring him back here if you can convince her that it would be that best course of action",said the old green wizard."It must be tried", spoke the Queen."Yes it should be, she has looked into my heart and mind and trusts me to do her bidding in this completely but rather doubts my magic to be able to effect such an end".

CountessofPhoenix

I think we should leave Var and Tess here to directly guard the clutch as they can enter the egg chamber. Dave and Martin can safeguard the outer rooms, and if Vandor would come with us his presence could do much to help with this meeting," Queen Bonnie tells the others.
"We are honored that you would trust us which such a responsibility." Var replies, bowing towards Queen Bonnie.
Countess of Phoenix
Designer Extraordinaire

Poldugarian Warrior

"Ohhhh, Boy." Dave said then sighed, as he searched his pouch for his flint with his pipe hanging from his lips loosely. "This will surely be a task. For I wouldn't doubt there are some bandits whom have probably been following us, and scouting these lands for days. And now they know we have no way to escape they will attack." And after saying that he gave the Queen a wink and grin and bowed. saying this "I shall guard these eggs with honor and courage. For if we loose the eggs we loose all knowledge for the rest of the kingdom and world." He then lit his pipe. "Vandor, here's a little bag of "stuff" for you." Dave said as he threw the sack to him. Vandor opened it to see what was inside. Some black crystals, healing herbs, and some goodies coffee,tea,tobacco, sugar, and chocolate and a flask of whisky. "Just in case you get a break." Dave nodded and smiled. "Thank you my friend, fare thee well." Vandor said. And then he went outside the cave to join Alphonse outside, where he lay near a rock regaining his strength in order to use his powers once again, but he wasn't sure if it was such a wise decision.

PurpleDragon

While the remaining members of the party contemplate their situation, Vandor and Aneema wander outside the caverns, turn left, and slip behind a large rock that is somewhat jutting outward from the mountain itself and head down the corridor that until now, was hidden. Vandor calls back over his shoulder "I'll be right back", not sure if his words were heard as they disappeared deeper into the mountain side. Aneema and he travel for a few minutes in silence, then Aneema speaks, "My Liege, you know full well what will happen should this clutch of eggs be lost don't you?"  "Aye, that I do my friend, it will be the last of the Dragons, and that in turn will mean the last of our kind. Now, you understand the importance of the post I placed you in when I sent you here to begin with don't you?" "That I do sire, that I do, I came in this way when I first arrived as you instructed me and checked on the eggs,  there are seven eggs in the clutch, red, gold, black, white, blue, Green, and Purple just as Dumas predicted for you.  What will be done with them?"
Vandor smiled, "My friend, these eggs have been gestating for nigh on 2 years now, and that means they are due to hatch soon.  This party of travelers was assembled for one purpose, and one purpose only, to raise these Dragons away from this mountain so that they might survive long after man has encroached upon their lands.  The Dragons are known only to us as peaceful creatures, but to Man, sadly they are known as beasts that must be slain.  I want you to stand here and watch over the eggs in seclusion while the women from the party watch over them from inside the chamber, at the first sign of them hatching, you must summon me.  Send one of the fairy dragons to fetch me; I must be here when they hatch." That said, Vandor turns and leaves back the way they came to join with Queen Bonnie and Alphonse.  "Dear friends, I am guessing that you are not yet aware as to why you were called to this place together to perform this task. It was decided when last I met with the Dragons that these seven eggs must be protected, and the hatchlings themselves taken from this place, but the only ones who would not be looked upon oddly when travelling from here would be humans.  These eggs are due to hatch, soon very soon, and one by one, the hatchlings will decide which of you shall be their keeper.  They have been taught throughout their gestation that they shall have a human keeper and they are prepared for that life.  It will be your duty to raise them, and teach them the ways of the Dragons, such that you will be able, and they will in turn assist you with your daily life. As each of you grows, so grows the Dragon, and as each of them learns, so shall you learn. You shall be joined with them on more than one level. They will slowly develop a bond with you that they would normally develop with their sire or dame, this bond will allow you to communicate with them without words, and it will help you in times you do not yet comprehend. I assure you each however, that this union you shall soon be forming will be a fruitful one."
That very moment, a small fairy type creature landed on Vandor's shoulder and spoke very quickly in the tongue of the Dragons.  "Queen Bonnie, You should come with me NOW", he turns quickly and heads off toward the nesting chamber with Queen Bonnie in tow. 
As they enter, one of the eggs is starting to hatch. Var and Tess are watching with deep amazement.  It is the green one first, then the Red, and the Gold. "Ladies, please stand before the eggs in accordance to the color.  Var moves to the Green one, Tess the Red, and Queen Bonnie the Gold, each egg continues cracking and slowly a small snout can be seen poking through a hole in each one. "You must NOT touch the eggs and allow the young ones to come out on their own; they must fight and struggle for their freedom if they are to survive."
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

CountessofPhoenix

Gradually a pair of eyes begin to emerge from each of the hatching eggs, followed by the rest of a head. The baby green dragon quite quickly shakes off the rest of its shell. A long head and sleek body glisten in the light of the torches arrayed around the birthing chamber. Covered in scales as soft as suede the baby looks at the three women. Obviously not seeing the one it was meant to be with it takes a protective stance over the nest as a small cry is from the golden egg.
A head peeks out then goes back inside the egg only to reappear seconds later. Using the small horn atop its head it slowly breaks the rest of the egg surrounding it. The fringed scales of its body flutter in the previously unoticed breeze flowing through the caverns. A triangular shaped head with beautiful blue eyes look at each of the women. Slowly and tentatively the golden baby approaches Queen Bonnie. Afraid of frightening the infant she gently reaches out and strokes the baby. At her touch the baby dragon almost purrs with satisfaction. Finding her dragon Queen Bonnie takes the baby and replies," I don't know how Tachi and this baby are going to get along, but I'm sure I will find a way."
As the women have been kept busy with the first three cracking eggs, a fourth previously unoticed has suddenly emerged in a cloud of broken egg shells. This baby appears to be more mischievious than the first two hatchlings, and as the women watch it dives behind its clutch mates as if to hide from all prying eyes. But it is not fear but stealth that guides this baby as it suddenly reappears on the other side of the nest. Sleek as a ferret its scales appear almost hairlike and with its small ears and elongated head it reminds one of a fur covered alligator. Black as the night it appears and disappears several times before finally coming to rest next to the green baby. Tess and Var each reach out to the baby but towards neither does it approach. A chuckle outside the birthing room is heard and the baby turns towards the sound of Dave's laugh. Tess shakes her head. "A warrior like Dave would appreciate the skills this little one seems to have. But I am so glad I don't have to keep up with such a sneaky little guy."
Behind them a small flame erupts as the red dragon wriggles from its shell. Covered in scales that catch the firelight in their depths it seems to glow like embers. Absolutely unafraid it approaches Tess. In a gesture resembling a bow it stops in front of her and as she reaches out a flame seems to engulf both dragon and human. No doubt about who this one belongs to, the women turn back to the remaining eggs.
Countess of Phoenix
Designer Extraordinaire

PurpleDragon

Slowly, the remaining eggs, began hatching.  The little white dragon finally emerges from its shell, it has an almost intelligent look on his face, Var smiles "Oh, this one is definitely for Alphonse. Just look at the intelligence, so ready to learn and to teach." Her hand reaches out toward the blue dragon that as finally emerged from her egg, immediately the little one nuzzles its head against her hand. "I guess I found mine".  Alphonse has finished his talking with the Mother and has been led by Aneema along with Dave and Martin through the back door and into the chamber.  Dave walks over to the nest, the black dragon immediately comes to him and sits there waiting for him to reach for it.  Martin finds the purple one hiding behind a rather large fragment of shell.  Alphonse sees the white one sitting by itself atop a rock within the nest.  Vandor approaches the group and the nest.  "My friends, it would appear that the fates were wise when they each chose you to be a part of this journey.  You each have been "adopted" as it were by the Dragon you know hold.  The bonding will be swift as they must learn as fast as they grow.  You needn't fear for how you shall feed them as they are apt to learn that skill well enough on their own.  As to your cat Tachi, there should be no issues as you are already bonded with Tachi, the Dragon will accept him as being an extension of yourself Queen Bonnie. The Dragons have told me you are welcome to make your camp here for the next few days should you so desire.  They too would like some time with the hatchlings before they depart the nesting area. Please do yourselves a favor and take them up on that offer.
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

Alphonse

Outside Emeraldia roared with such intensity that it could be felt as much as heard even this deep in the cave."That would be my first and last call for my flight",spoke the green wizard."Unfortunately I am not going to be permitted to stay,there is an old and lost love to be rekindled and I am playing the guide to that reunion".

Looking over at the nest and young dragons there,he noticed two that were watching him intently,a white and a green one.The baby white dragon while feeling the obvious bond, hesitated.It was not ready yet to leave but felt that none the less perhaps one day it's path and that of the wizard would one day definitely cross again.The little green one rushed headlong to the green wizard and he dropped down to one knee to allow it to jump into his arms.

As he rose the dragon climbed up his arm and perched upon his shoulder."Hmm?" he said with a smile as he noticed where the dragon came to rest,"I know a silly little tiel hen that might have something to say about that". "Well then I am off and take my leave,soon to be home again"."Fare thee well my friends, if you ever have need of me,please call upon me to help, or if you find yourself near my neck of the woods please drop in on us to say hello and have some tea". With that the wizard spun around on his heel and was gone.A scant ten minutes later he was breaking through the clouds into the bright sunshine perched upon a gold dragon's back as he held the green hatchling close to himself to keep it warm.This time the tear that rolled down his cheek, was in fact his own.

CountessofPhoenix

As the band of weary travelers watched Alphonse disappear into the clouds each felt the loss of their companion. Not knowing when they would see him again his were not the only tears filling eyes that day. Finally they began to assess their situation, and suddenly they realized that the little white dragon had no partner to pair with. Presented with such a delicate dilemma they desided to await Vandor's return, in hopes that he would have a suggestion. The human and dragon pairs soon began to communicate with nonverbal cues, and it rapidly became apparent that they had seven hungry babies on their hands. What exactly did you feed baby dragons? If only Vandor would return to help them through these first crucial hours.
Countess of Phoenix
Designer Extraordinaire