News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Trip to the Dragon's Cave

Started by CountessofPhoenix, May 11, 2008, 02:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Montgomery

Martin stood,a statue made from stone,watching the magnificent Emeraldia fly higher into the sky her huge wings gracefully lifting her into the bright sunlight. Alphonse,her Green Wizard Rider,could be seen crouched upon her back cuddling the Green Hatchling to his chest. "Fly well Lady Dragon and help that old bedraggled Theodorious back to health!" The big man raised his hand in a silent salute to Alphonse. "Live long my friend and learn much from the Treasures stored in Theodorious' Cave!" He turned and a single tear slid from his right eye,one part in sorrow,not knowing when or even if he would ever sit,smoke and talk with the kindly wizard and one part Joy,with being accepted by the small brightly hued Purple Hatchling now curled up in his oversized hand it's long tail wound twice around his forarm for support. Thinking back to when he,Dave and Aneema had entered the nesting chamber though the Dragon-sized tunnel that the unimaginably patient Emeraldia had used. The nest had held seven eggs,all different colors and sizes,yet one,the small puce colored one,held his rapt attention. Having rolled a bit away from the others when the Ebony egg had shattered,it now rocked back and forth with it's occupant's frantic attempt to free itself from it's shell. With a subdued "CRACK!" the large end exploded and a shockingly bright violet Dragonette tumbled out! Sitting up and surveying the surroundings it's expressive eyes widened with alarm and it had dove behind the remains of it's shell! Martin,his heart in his throat, had knelt down and extended his right hand holding out a bit of jerky,cooing gently in his bass rumble. The tip of the infant's long tapering snout appeared from behind the gently rocking shell,sniffing the air and flicking out it's narrow crimson tongue. The merchant smiled and inched his hand closer,only to yelp in surprise as the Hatchling pounced upon his hand and sunk it's needle sharp teeth into the fleshy part of his thumb! Sitting down with a resounding "THUD!" he gently worked the small jaws apart wide enough to recover his,thankfully,only painfully punctured thumb. reaching into his pouch he pulled out more jerky,a bit of sausage and half an apple! Everything disappeared down the Hatchling's gullet,bit out and swallowed with quick jerking movements. When the Dragonette was sated,it's color faded to a darker purple. It looked up into Martin's beaming face and it's eyes assumed the hue of the last rays of the sun,setting over high mountains,Martin's eyes glowed briefly the same color,then the satisfied Hatchling settled down to rest on his arm. Turning to where Queen Bonnie sat with her own Golden Hatchling, he grinned widely and stated in an awed whisper "She says her name is  Violet!"
Half the man I used to be!! 
Landshark#79      
Member of Culloden Moor

Poldugarian Warrior

Dave also waved the wizard off, and he had a lump in his throat, a mix of sadness, and happiness for he new Alphonse was doing exactly what he had always wanted to, but he also knew this could be the last time any of them would see him again. So then turning to the group and back into the entrance of the cave. "I'd never thought I'd say this, but this may be tougher raising a dragon than fighting off any ghoulish monsters.  "Dave said, as the little dragon ran circles around his torso hanging on to his armor with the sharp yet sticky claws it possessed and searched for food in his pouches. "Hold on I have just the thing little guy." Dave said to the dragon as he pulled some kielbasa from his pouch. The baby dragon stopped his running immediately as if he understod exactly what Dave was going to do. And calmly he waited for the sausage to reach him, then the dragon snatched it from his hand and ran behind a small rock just a tad bigger than himself so that he could hide and eat alone. Dave tracked his movements though and never lost sight of where that dragon went. The dragon after eating came out from behind the rock, and flew up to Dave's shoulder and sat there a bit. After searching his pouches Dave had found a somewhat empty one that held his bread, there were a few crumbs left, but he figured it a good place to put some grass as bedding and his dragon could sleep, there for he could see the dragon's eyes droop especially after a feast of kielbasa. He went out to gather some grass and put it in the bag, then laid the little dragon whom was maybe a foot long approx. into it. Upon this he contemplated a name Rondellus-saur. (Black-Lizard) Rondell for short. Dave thought about the name, blackie, but this means about the same, but has a better ring to it. So the little dragon slep soundly in that bag. and Dave carried in back into the cave where the others had begun to care for their dragons in their own special ways.

Martin Montgomery

Martin stood up from his crouch and stretched,his arms reaching towards the sky as his back popped several times. Groaning softly his gaze fell on the small purple dragonette curled up amid his travel packs. "Is that better Vi?" He asked her as he replaced the small bottle of oil back in his open pack. Her reply seemed to appear inside his skull "Better Martin! You made the itch go'way!!She stretched herself out to her full two foot length from nosetip to tailtip and a contented sound escaped her throat almost like a furless feline. "I gonna go sleep now,kay!?" That's fine Dearheart! When you wake up maybe one of the traps we've got set up will have caught you a nice fat rabbit!" The soft color of the little dragonettes eyes seemed to darken with hunger and her "voice" sounded in his head once more. "Rabbit again!? Can I have an apple instead?" Chuckling softly so as not to wake the other members of his group Martin replied "No Violet! You know very well that you ate the last of my apples three days ago!" She giggled and wistfully mentioned "Rondell told me Dave still had a few left........." Her voice trailed off inside his head and Martin bent to check on her finding that she had fallen asleep while talking to him. It had been a week since the clutch had hatched and in that time the little dragonette had nearly doubled in size and her smooth skin had began to get dry patches around her shoulders where her wings sprouted from her back. The skin covering her belly had also become rough and the stretchmarks from her rapid growth had began to flake bits of it away. Aneema had returned to his village bringing the oil back to treat the clutch's irritated skin and the members of the group had been alternating betweens feedings every four to six hours and rubbing their new friends down with the soothing oil relieving every itch that the hatchlings complained about and helping their skins to remain elastic and smooth. Leaving the camp to check his traps,Martin worried about Violet not trying to fly. He'd seen several of the other hatchlings trying out their wings and two had succeeded if several short flights. Shaking his head he snorted as he passed the Dragonman Guardian. "She's not even a week old and now I want her to fly!"  Aneema fell into step with him and his tongue slipped out between his teeth,tasting the air. "In good time my friend" he stated as the two men scrambled over a rocky ledge "I didn't fly well until I was two years old! Do not hurry her,she and her clutchmates have the future of their species hanging over their heads and even though they have mentally matured under the spell that kept them from hatching until suitable protectors,that would be youselves,could be found. Remember,they are still younglings at heart and will act that way until they begin to gather experience in their travels with you."       
Landshark#79      
Member of Culloden Moor

Poldugarian Warrior

The next day found the group still in that cave with a gentle thunderstorm rolling outside. "Dave I was wondering, actual no, Not wondering, could I have some of your apples that is if you have any?" Martin asked.
"Why sure, but how'd you know I had any left?" Dave said reaching into the saddle bag to retrieve the requested apples.
"Violet told me, Rondell told her you had some." Martin said reaching out for the apples.
"So I guess there will be no secrets kept between any of us with the little dragons around, but that's okay, none of us are shifty anyhow. But, as you know I'm willing to share. Dave said, in understanding.
"I also over heard your dragon hasn't learned to fly yet, no worries, there's  a time and place for evry action and she will learn soon enough. Maybe talk to her and let her know how anxious you are to see her fly, then maybe she will show off. Oh, and here take this squirrel to Violet, I know why she wanted an apple." Dave said with a grin since Rondell, had told him of Violet's need for something other than rabbit.
"Thank you kind sir. Martin said and then he quickly made his way back to Violet's nest to give her the squirrel and apples.
Dave sat back and lit his pipe, as Rondell jumped up on top of Dave's hat, and looked to the air for bugs to catch.
"I'd like to play outside." Rondell said. as he slurped down a fly.
"Okay, but not too long I don't wish to get soaking wet. Dave said as he and his dragon walked outside, and Dave set his traps again, and surveyed evryone else's to make sure they too had set their's after gathering the kills.
Rondell jumped from rock to rock, and drank from the stream, he also wrestled with a few small lizards, griffons, and a basilisk which was quite interesting to watch, but all was in good fun for they too were young. They came back to the cave laughing and talking to one another about the day.
"I'm glad I went out to play Dave." Rondell said.
"I'm glad I went with you." Dave replied, as he plopped down on a rock and filled his cup with ale from a sheepskin wine bag.
The others were deep inside the cave unaware Dave had left. But, he wasn't far, just in front of the cave actually, where he could still make a good defense of the cave entrance if need be. Dave also took out some bread and cheese and the two ate. Then took a much needed nap. But, not without rigging a booby-trap to wake him and Rondell if there were to be an intruder.

PurpleDragon

He couldn't have been asleep for longer than an hour when he was awakened by the sound of someone approaching, quite noisily at that.  They couldn't be seen yet, but they weren't attempting to keep their presence unknown.  Dave sat up and Rondell jumped down and ran toward the noise, "It's okay Dave, I know who it is let's meet him".  Just then, Vandor came around the corner and Rondell jumped up to land on the large bundle strapped to his back.  "Thought you could all use something more substantial to eat than what you were trapping out here. So I had my staff prepare a little something for you all." Vandor said.  "You couldn't have come at a better time.  Martin's little Violet is tired of Rabbit and well, honestly I could use something more than the stores I've managed myself. I am quite sure that the ladies would like something freshly cooked other than small game. Here, let me help you with that.  Hey everyone Vandor's here, and he brought us a feast."  You could hear the cheers from the little Dragons as they knew that meant they were going to eat well tonight and for the next few days.  Vandor came in and set down his bundle next to the one Dave had grabbed and looked around at all of them.  "Wow, those little ones are growing quite well. How is their learning going?"
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

Poldugarian Warrior

"All of them seem to be doing well, except for Violet as you know. I told Martin, as you did, give it time. I'm no expert on dragons, but is it possible maybe her diet and skin condition has slowed her development, and all she needs is better food and some healing? Dave waited for the answer. as he rummaged through one of his saddle bags, looking for a small alabaster jar of shea butter. A butter which is obtained through the pressing of a large fruit from a tree in Africa. It was purchased during his time in a campaign in the south of Spain. It's used to smooth dried skin and heal wounds.
"It couldn't hurt, I say let's all sit down together this day at the mouth of the cave and discuss our dragons' progress." Vandor said. as he grabbed up the food from the bundles and began to set it out along with his servants. Dave made his way over to Martin with his jar of butter, and told him to use it on Violet, and she would hopefully become well enough to fly for him. "Keep in mind this isn't a magic lotion, just something I know that does heal wounds, but keep in mind I've never seen anyone brought back from the dead with it, so don't expect miracles, but do keep in mind it will make her feel better." Martin thanked him, and used it right away, then he brought the dragon out to feast with evryone. "Thank you Dave." Violet said. Yet, not a word left her mouth. "Martin am I supposed to be able to hear and communicate with your dragon as well as my own? If this is the case, maybe it's because we all have this bond with the whole dragon litter. Or they only communicate with whom they choose. Anyhow, let's eat." Dave said as he cleaned his hands with water and palmolive soap from his stores, which he shared this with evryone so they could feel refreshed and just a little more civilized for the time being.

CountessofPhoenix

Ever since the baby dragons had hatched, there seemed to have been more storms in their area  than any of them had ever seen. The increasing intensity of the adverse weather began to concern the group inside the cave. After several nights of ground shaking thunder, the next night, there was silence when they went to bed. A sense of forbidding permeated the inner caverns, and the air was heavy. Tempers flared in both dragons and trainers, with no one was sure of what was to come, although they all instinctively knew something approached. The emotions of one all all became so frayed that this group so close before, now were so fractured that none of them sought out the comfort and support from the others that they needed. But the dawn would find them separated by more than anger.
Countess of Phoenix
Descendant of Celtic Nobility
Designer Extraordinaire
We are only limited by what we can dream

CountessofPhoenix

The winds started rising outside the cave, and within it it's occupants began to feel the walls and floors begin to vibrate. Each trainer instinctively reached for their supplies and their dragon. The darkness become all encompassing as sand and gravel began to rain down on them. Suddenly the outer portion of the cave disintegrated, blowing outward with the force of a bomb. Then suddenly there was silence as each pair of trainer and dragon felt themselves lifted into the air and seemingly were hurled across the landscape. How far they traveled was impossible to gauge as they no longer had even a sense of direction. Until finally all drifted into unconsciousness.
Countess of Phoenix
Designer Extraordinaire

Poldugarian Warrior

Dave lay on the ground lifeless, it seemed to him that he'd been thrown violently away by a catapult, and flew several miles up into the air as well. Rondell, shook his head, and emerged from a bag. And ran around Dave, and looked and sniffed him for signs of life. Thunder had ran away from the cave as it exploded, and followed  his rider's ascent and descent. Thunder nudged Dave on his side to roll him over on his back, and then Rondell sat on his chest with his arms crossed. Then he spoke, "Get up Dave, do you know what's going on?" At that Thunder gave out a loud whinny, and nudged him again. Thunder could understand the dragon as well, as most all animals communicate telepathically as well. And they both wanted Dave's take on the situation. Slowly the weary warrior began to awake, and in doing so. He opened his eyes slowly, and Rondell, bless his little soul, the dragon was still sitting patiently on his chest. As Dave's eyes widened, he saw a dragon staring him in the face, sort of smiling like. At that Dave was frightened he almost forgot he had a dragon travelling with him, and pulled his dagger quickly, "Whoa, calm down man." Rondell  said. then fired a short warm flame at Dave's face as a warning, and Thunder with even though his heavy and powerful hooves, could crush a man, gently held Dave's arm to the ground until he calmed down. "I'm sorry Rondell, and thank you Thunder for stopping me from slaying a new friend of ours." Dave said as he slowly rose himself up with his elbows and sat on the ground and stretched his neck from side to side and held it since it hurt from the fall. "So I guess we should figure out where we are, from the looks of things this is a small valley in a shallow range of hills. Looks peaceful, but looks can be deceiving, and maybe we can find the others." "Should we go for a ride and scout out the area?" Thunder responded with an enthusiastic whinny, and rose up on his hind legs. Rondell said yes, and decided to take a seat on Dave's shoulder. And so they were off to scout the valley, not knowing what they'd find or how they react to what they found.

PurpleDragon

The sound of the storm that shattered the cave resonated in Vandor's ears, his mind is filled with the unsteady thoughts of all the Dragon's with their new partners as they all try to figure out what is going on.  He watched the change in the area from his closest outpost where he and the guards prepared the area for the storm.  Sitting quietly, he closes his eyes and sends a message to all the Dragons.  "My children, you are now on your own with your new hosts.  You and they must accomplish a task as you journey back to their homelands, I know not what your individual tasks shall be, but you will know when the time is right and you and they will work together to accomplish the goal. I have faith in you my children, for what you do from here on out will have great bearing as to the furthering of our species together, yours as full Dragons and mine as Dragonman.  May the Goddess keep and protect you all".  That said, he closes his eyes to sleep as it has been three days since he rested and he was quite tired.
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

Alphonse

Mean while in a distant land, a fat black cat sat on a porch of a ramshackle old hut and stared out into the surrounding woods contentedly watching the squirrels and birds that played there. A fall wind blew fiery red and golden leaves down into a clearing already fairly blanketed in them. His head snapped up for a look to the sky and in a flash he was gone.Mere moments later an ancient golden dragon swooped down out of the sky and landed there. As she folded her wings up an old wizard dropped down from her back amid the leaves and grass and bounded toward the hut.The smile on his face turned to a whistle as her gave warning to all in the hut that he had returned. The smile returned to his face as he heard his whistle returned with great enthusiasm by the birds that lived in the hut there with him.As he fumbled with the lock at the door the black cat had returned and weaved about between his feet, all the while keeping a weary eye on the dragon out on the lawn.

"Ah, I see that you have managed to keep yourself well fed in my absence,ye little Hoodlum" spoke the green wizard as he looked the cat in the eye. "If I find out that you have harmed any of my birds while I was gone, it will be the stew pot for you,my devilish little friend", he said sternly. But the cat paid him no mind,all the while purring and continuing to rub against his leg as he threw open the door. Stepping inside it took a moment for his eyes to adjust to the light and turning he beheld a sight that he treasured, that of a silly little yellow headed bird, running back and forth excitedly across her perch.Two small birds in a cage beside her's chirped away happily for they understood that their small flock was reunited.He reached for the door of the small cage and moved his hand towards her as she bent over and presented her little head,no bigger then a small wallnut, for him to pet. As he gently stroked the little feathered head, a tear rolled down his cheek,months of worry and fear finally left him as he realized that he was finally home and all was well. He had been away far too long and while the reason was a good one he hoped that he would never have to do so again.The small reunion was interrupted by a mournful cry from the dragon who waited as patiently as she could outside, he understood completely how it was that she must feel and felt guilty for having made her wait even for something so brief as this had been.He gave Pretty girl one last stroke and reached to place a sprig of millet in her food bowl. The bird ran to it and holding it up with one of her claws, began to nibble at it greedily, it was her favorite treat.He closed up the cage and turned to leave but promiced to return again promptly.

Stepping back out on to the porch he set down food for the cat who waited there and said aloud to it,
"yet another trip to the dragon's cave to see old Theodorious,hopefully this one will not take so long".Again the cat paid him little notice as it purred and ate contentedly,dropping his pack and taking up a quarter staff he found there, the old wizard tread down the steps and out into the yard. "Follow me", he spoke to the dragon and took the green hatchling from her as he walked around out back, starting down the trail that led off the mountain and down to the creek where the cave lie.He loved this time of year, he thought to himself as a chill fall wind blew through the trees. In a less then an hour's time they had covered the distance and were coming within sight of the cave when Esmeralda bolted and rushed ahead leaving the old wizard and hatchling in her wake.Stepping up onto the last rise between him and the cave Alphonse caught sight of the two dragons reunited. He turned and headed back the way he had came but when out of sight, sat down on the bank of the creek. The little green hatchling looked at him and he replied, "best to give those two some time, they have much catching up to do". Turning toward the creek he cast a small pebble into it, the ripples drifted off in the lazy flow of the creek, the green hatchling was immediately fascinated by that, she had never seen anything like it before and in no time was happily playing in the cool water there...

Alphonse

Much like the ripples that drifted off in the current of the slow flowing creek,so too passed the hours. Down in the creek valley the darkness began to gather and close in. On the bank sat the old wizard contently puffing on his pipe as the little green hatchling napped on a corner of his cloak beside him. Alphonse knew that it was a false twilight, created by the shadow of the western side of the mountain on the opposite side of the creek.Soon though he would need to begin the climb back up the mountain to his home if he hoped to beat the true sunset which would fall in a scant hour. He was dreading the climb back home when he noticed a golden glimmer reflected upon the water and without turning to look he asked Esmeralda how she had found the reunion.

"He is in bad shape, likely not much time left to him" she replied,"we intend to pass what time is left to us here if you think it possible". "It will not be easy, the lands here about have been put to the plow for some time now and the hand of men shapes it to their use slowly squeezing out that which is wild",answered the mage.Continuing on he said,"the elves forsake these lands neigh on two hundred years ago because of it, it will not be easy but I will do all that I can do to shield the two of you from them". "Thank you for all that you have done for Theo and all the help that you plan on giving us in the future",said the dragon. "I wouldn't ask this of you if I didn't think it best not to move him, I doubt that the strain would do him any good". "I understand completely, spoke the wizard,"but I will need your help if we hope to have any chance at keeping this a secret and in so doing garner a measure of peace for the both of you"."You have but to ask it and I will do as you think best", answered Esmeralda."You can not hunt here abouts, I think it best not do so with in a hundred leagues, I mean not one cow,sheep nor deer must you take, if you absolutely must you can take from my stock, I have a few cows and sheep and will add more as I can and you can not use your magic except in the most dire of situations necessary only to save one of your lives"."I do not ask this lightly of you", the old man continued,"because I understand full well what a constraint it will be for you but think it necessary to keep away any undue attention, in fact I have used my magic to create illusions to help hide this place and it is close enough to my humble abode that anyone who is adapt at seeing through such things will likely assume it to be part of my household defences".

"Indeed, it is a wise plan,we will no doubt need to speak more on it in the future", said the dragon,"but the hour grows late and you should be on your way home before it grows dark". "My thoughts exactly",answered the wizard, and with a start he heard the dragon chuckle aloud in his mind. "You will find as time passes that our thoughts, both yours and mine will grow closer then any mere understanding shared between mortals as we have bonded back at my cave" replied the dragon again with in the wizard's mind. "Yes it is a form of dragon's magic",she went on,"but nothing that can be controlled,among dragon's it is considered the greatest of gifts that we can share with your kind"."No doubt thought the wizard as he stood up and left,a flash of apprehension came to him as he realized that he would lose a measure of privacy with this new gift. "Yes, there is that", she answered again in his mind, "but fear not gentle mage you live your life without reason to hide anything from anyone and in that, this sharing becomes as much a gift to me as it is to you".

Alphonse

A few days later the old wizard sat deeply in thought on a bench out back behind his hut as the sun sank behind the trees to the west.Work, he thought to himself, there is no end to it for one like me. There is still so much left undone, he said aloud and to no one in particular, which was just as well as the fat black cat that sat beside him purring was only paying attention to the absent minded petting he was receiving and not to anything else. Alphonse went over his preparations yet again in his mind, he could not think of anything that he had left undone.Every glyph,ward and rune of protection that he knew of had gone into the defence he had wove around the dragons in the cave beside the creek below.

On being reunited with his mate, Theo had changed and it was all to the good thought the old wizard.He had perked up and become more active, his appetite had improved and in the little free time left the mage as he worked around the cave Theo had spent a good deal of time showing him some of the select tomes and scrolls which the old dragon had gathered there. It was astounding to the wizard as to the vast collection of wisdom and knowledge that this library contained.There was some who had accounted him to be a formidable wizard of some skill but in comparison to the obvious skill of some of the authors of the texts he had read, he knew he was nothing more then a mere hedge wizard at best. Before the dragons had came into his life he would have been more then content with that.Magic had been on the wane for some time in the world and while he had only a rudimentary understanding of the arcane arts it had carried him this far in life, there were very few who he had met that had any greater mastery and most that had much less understanding then he. None of that amounted to a hill of beans though when it came to being able to mount the best defence that he could of the only dragons left in this small corner of the world.

He laughed aloud at himself as he set down his old battered churchwarden pipe and in so doing startled the cat,who was gone in a flash.How had it all come down to this? he thought to himself. I had started this journey with the resolute intention of confronting evil and admittedly, mistakenly sought to kill a dragon if necessary to do so.Ironically becoming their defender and champion,bonded by thought to one and surrogate mother to another, he pondered the twist of fate that had come his way."Come now, surely you have learned that you are no stranger to ironic fates" said the dragon's voice in his mind,"you have been aware of the fact for some time that it is a reoccurring theme in your life"."Indeed",he spoke aloud,"as I slowly acquire wisdom in this life it never ceases to amaze me how much so". "As is befitting one who takes up the mantle of a wizard, is it not?" she asked. Obviously, he thought and with that a kernel of a thought had popped into his mind and echoing that thought the laughter of the dragon came as well."You are devious and with your quick sense of humour a delight to observe", said Esmeralda. It would no doubt take some time but in the scrolls he would find the magic necessary to effect the ultimate trap that he would set to help guard the dragon's cave.The kind of trap that would do to any dragon hunter that strayed this way, what in effect had happened to him, turn them into becoming a dragon's champion and defender as had he.

Martin Montgomery

"Wake up,Martin!!" The insistant voice seemed to cut deeply into the merchants head and the strident keening that came from Violet's throat made him wince. "Pipe down Vi!!" he murmured his head and body were sore and covered with abrasions but everything seemed to work as he slowly opened his eyes and took stock of his surroundings. Violet sat, perched upon a stone, her wings spread wide shading his aching head from the worst of the bright sunlight. "Are you going to sleep all day?" came the reply as if nothing untoward had happened. Sitting up with a groan Martin saw the largest of his tradepacks laying about fifteen feet away one side ripped open and much of it's contents was strewn across the sand. Thinking back to the moments before the cavern shattered he wondered if his comrades and their new charges had survived as he had.........The wind had howled fiercely as the stone walls split assunder and the big merchant had curled into a protective ball around his little purple dragonette. He felt the winds pull him into the air and he was able to snatch the pack straps as it carommed past him  toward a rent in the very stone walls! Sand,grit and small sharp stones had whizzed past his face so he had buried his head into the packs tough material he held with one hand and held onto Violet with the other! looking up he felt more than saw the jagged wall as he flew towards it and using the pack as a buffer he merely glanced off the surface rather than hitting headfirst,which would have led to a rather messy end for him. After he had passed the chasm walls he felt as if he was being carried a far distance because time held no meaning. "WHEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!"Violet's voice sounded in his mind and her bugle of pure joy mixed as she worked her small triangular head past Martin's protective embrace. "Get back here,Squirt!!:" he screamed helplessly as the winds caught her small wings and she was ripped from his grasp!!! Even as he felt a pang of regret for failing her,he heard her mental voice fading with distance "So this is what it's like to fly!!!" "Come back my little one!!" Martin yelled but even as his mouth filled with blown sand he felt sharp talons dig into the tough hide he had sewn onto his left sleeve for a perch,his arm whipped back and his speed changed even though his direction didn't.........Then he hit the ground ....HARD....then blackness took him.   
Landshark#79      
Member of Culloden Moor

CountessofPhoenix

In her dream she was flying through the air at an amazing speed. Vast amounts of land flew below her. Spying a small hill she began to descend, but realized she wasn't in control. Crashing to the ground she suddenly woke up with a start. The rain had soaked her to the skin and her garments were mere shreds of what they had been. Shaking her head to help clear her mind she began to look around her. Suddenly she realized her baby dragon was not there at her side. "Sulis," she cries. "I'm here." she hears in her mind. Turning round she sees the red dragon she had been entrusted with. "What happened Tess?" Sulis inquired. "I'm not sure little one, but I don't believe it to have been a natural occurance. Some feat of great magick has been used to hurl us out of the protected dragon nursery." Tess replies. "But where are we?"
Looking around Tess didn't recognize the landscape at all. From this small rise she could see the land in all directions, and what she saw wasn't encouraging. Flat land extended in all directions. No tree or hill was visible, just flat land covered in knee high grass. Here and there were small bushes, but even these seemed stunted. Water, food and shelter would be the first order of business, but where would she find even one of these necessary items. Reaching around she finds her pack and breathes a little easier. Here at least were clothes and the crystals from the Crystanime cavern. With these she could at least produce food and water, now how to find shelter in such a desolate area.
Gathering up her things she changes into a dark outfit instead of her normal red, and places Sulis on her shoulder. "Well we can't figure out where we are by staying here." Tess tells Sulis. "But which direction should we go?" "Follow the Sun." she hears in her head. And with that her next adventure begins.
Countess of Phoenix
Designer Extraordinaire