News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Trip to the Dragon's Cave

Started by CountessofPhoenix, May 11, 2008, 02:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PurpleDragon

A message enters the minds of the hatchlings, and is heard also by those in whose charge they have been placed. My children, you have each been sent to the areas you now find yourselves for a purpose. It is the desire of your elders that you must carry the bloodline of our race to the far corners of this world.  You will each have a task to fulfill and you must fulfill it through to the end, whatever that end might lead to, elsewise you will not understand your full capabilities and you shall not reach the full potential I know is already within you. I know not what these tasks are, but you will know when the time is upon you for that discovery.  The humanoids with you will protect you as best they can, but as you grow, your job will be to protect them. Take great care my children and if all goes well, we shall see each other again.
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

CountessofPhoenix

The hip high, red tinged grass undulated like waves in the wind, hiding all distinguishing topography of the land. Occasionally a tree would appear on this bleak landscape, but its stunted, twisted shape gave evidence of the winds constant presence here. So far Tess and Sulis had not seen another living creature on their walk and the day was being to head towards night. A slight rise with what from this distance appeared to be a building their immediate destination. Not sure where they were, Tess hoped that someone might appear that at least could give them some clue of why they had been hurled to this location. As she got closer she could see that the building was in some great disrepair. Slanting in the direction that the wind blew she wasn't sure it would provide them with any protection at all. In fact it might be dangerous to even enter. Given the choice of sleeping outside where any number of hazards might present themselves, or inside where the building might prove as dangerous as whatever existed in the night, just about even. But the mouthwatering scent of something cooking from inside the dwelling helped to make the decision for her. Knocking on the leaning door she had no idea who might answer. As the door opened a diminuative white haired woman dressed in a multi colored gown looks out a Tess and Sulis. "I was wondering when you would get here. Come in dinner is ready and we don't have much time." Perplexed Tess follows the woman inside.
Countess of Phoenix
Descendant of Celtic Nobility
Designer Extraordinaire
We are only limited by what we can dream

PurpleDragon

The woman heads to the hearth and reaches for the pot that hangs over the fire. "Sit, enjoy the comfort, those winds outside can be horrendous".  she says as she reaches the table and begins to dish up three plates of what is in the pot.  "You must be Tess and the little one must be Sulis.  I knew you would be here eventually, but when was something I could not tell.  I have something for you here, it appeared out in the field and I brought it in from the weather.  The only way I know the names is because they are written on the tag attached to the bundle.  Eat first, then we can get that out for you". 

Tess, somewhat leery of this old woman, her knowing their names and all, looked at the food on the plate, and her hunger won out over the caution.  Sulis immediately jumped into eating what was placed in front of her.  "You will forgive us if we are somewhat cautious, it is not every day we meet someone who knows about us already, but we know nothing of you", Tess said between mouthfuls.  The old woman let out a laugh that bordered on a cackle.  "I know full well about not trusting people.  That's why I live way out here.  Never did get around to trusting anyone, but when I found this bundle, and it had names on it, I just assumed that the owners would be coming for it, and so I protected it from the elements.  My name is Lincara, and I have lived in this hut for nigh on thirty-five years now.  I built it to lean the way it does, that way the wind cannot do any harm to it.  The wind is bad here when it blows, but when it stops, this is one of the most serene valleys you will ever find."  She refills the empty plates in front of her guests before either can object. 
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

CountessofPhoenix

Next to the fire as she dishes up the stew her shadow reflects on the crooked wall, and for just a second the image seems to grow taller and have wings. Then as suddenly as it appeared the shadow was that of the stooped old lady. Not sure whether she had imagined the strange figure or not, Tess returned to her stew. Looking at the strange bundle that Lincare had placed at her feet, Tess wondered about the turn of events that had brought her here. Reaching out she stroked Sulis's red skin still surprised that her scales were soft like feathers. In the fire light her scales glowed like they had an inner fire and her brilliant green eyes showed an intelligence that grew almost as fast as her body. Less than a month old the baby had grown to the size of a goat, and like the goat would eat just about anything. Maybe in the packet would be some information about the growth and development of dragons, because right now Tess didn't have a clue.

Reaching out with trembling fingers Tess opens the gold cord wrapping the bundle. Runic symbols embellished the interior of the wrappings and in the center a widdershins spiral ends above a erupting volcano. "Tuatha de Danaan," cackles Lincare, "legends claim that the end of the world begins there, and that a powerful group of warriors will be called upon to save the world. Backwards to go forewards.
Left instead of right." Two pendants with the left hand spiral hanging from crimson cords fall out of the package. "All have the power to accept or refuse the call, by placing the pendants around your necks you claim the right to be one of those defenders." Lincare replies when spying the pendants. In her mind Tess hears, "My life is tied to yours, but I choose to defend our home." Looking at her companion Tess places the pendant around Sulis's neck and then her own, then says," Mine to little one, mine to."
Countess of Phoenix
Designer Extraordinaire

PurpleDragon

Martin lay motionless on the ground, unconscious, but still alive.  Slowly, his mind begins to awaken, and his body wrought with pain from his hard landing.  His ears worked though, and he could hear the flap of wings growing louder and louder as the source grew nearer to where he lay.  Violet had returned to her new companion.  "Wake up Martin, I have found us shelter from the elements, and I can see a storm coming from the South, it looks to be a bad one too."  Martin stirred slightly, "Huh? What? OH, Vi,  I thought I had lost you when you flew from my arms.  Thank the Goddess that you are still with me. Shelter you say?  Storm coming in?  I guess I should see if all my parts are still attached and working first, then we'll head for the shelter".

Meanwhile, Dave sat astride Thunder, and Rondell sat perched upon his shoulder as they ride Eastward into the valley that opened before them.  "Rondell,  why not scout ahead and see if you can find some shelter for us.   We should find a place safe to rest and recover from our little flight."  Rondell takes flight and heads off to the East, returning rather swiftly "Dave! Dave!, we've got company" the words like screaming into his mind, Thunder lets out a loud whinny as his nostrils flare open with the scent of this new creature approaching them at a high rate of speed.  Dave steadies himself as Thunder rears up, "Easy now old friend,  we don't know if this is friend or foe coming.  Steady boy.."  he reassures the steed. "Let us see what they want, and if we must fight then we must fight".
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Poldugarian Warrior

"Rondell, find some cover I'm leaving you on your own, I'll find a small hill to hide on." Dave said to Rondell. "Don't worry about me I can take care of myself." Rondell said. with a reassuring wink and small blasts of fire from his nostrils. Dave rode a little ways back the way he had come from and hid on a hill looking over the narrow path way. Rondell told Dave that he was on the other side of the narrow path, and was somehow able to give exact coordinates, and Dave looked right at him, yet he couldn't see him for he was well covered by the shadows and leaves of the forest of the vallley floor, it was also sort of misty and overcast. helping also to the camoflague. Rondell couldn't give descriptions of these people or creatures, but he knew a lot of them were coming. As the crowd trudeged on there was no music or laughter, nor even conversation. No creaking wagon wheels crushing the leaves and twigs. But, a moaning and crying, a thud heard here and there and crying. Most were human maybe a few fairies,gnomes,wizards,wisewomen. They looked tired and hungry, and showed no signs of illness. So Dave rode out slowly along side one of the guards, which he wasn't dressed like a guard, except for a Morion helmet, and carrying a halberd. "What goes on here good man." Dave said in a concerned sincere tone. The weary guard looked up at him as if he could serve no purpose to them. Then he sprang to his feet  took a fighting stance and looked at Dave as if he was an evil tax collector. At this point Dave had his hand on his pistol and was ready for anything, but then Dave could see the fear in his eyes. "Fear not my brother, I come in peace." The guard settled and then he spoke and Dave a fantastic story. In a tired yet gravelly tone he regaled me with his tale of woe.

"At first it began as any day here in this valley, the sun shone we expected maybe some afternoon rain as the sun set, then it would stop and the sky would clear and the stars and moon would fill the sky from east to west horizon to horizon. Evryone was in a happy mood, beginning a new season of planting, and some spring time merryment, And the shearing of the sheep shoeing the horses for the season. But, all that changed the tax collectors come down raised the taxes, and then after a few weeks said no one was paying enough and they took evryone's farms, mills, shops, and mines. And told us it was for the king so that he could fight the undead and protect us. He would buy provisions and weapons and armies. And have his servants work in our village instead of us And we are not the only village in his kingdom that he's done this to. So we've been moving for days looking for good ground to plant in and hunt."

"I'm surprised the king in such an idyllic kingdom would not want all of you to make provisions or fight the undead along with the king and his soldiers if it's an all encompassing battle to protect his kingdom, which by the way you told your story seems not the case. It almost sounds as if he's planning on allying himself with the undead soldiers and using all of your villages as bases." Dave said as he rode along.

"My name's Tim." the guard said, as he reached out to shake Dave's hand. "What's your title." Tim asked. noting how Dave was dressed.
"I'm Dave The Poldugarian Warrior. Dave said. humbly as he shook Tim's hand. "But, titles are not important and I'm not one in your king's service. "So what can I do to help." Dave asked as he rode with Tim and the group. "As far as it seems you are the only one whom has a horse so maybe you want to do some scouting, and maybe we can put together a litter or wagon to carry the sick and dying. Thunder was sort of proud in the fact that Dave wanted to use him as a work horse, since it gave Thunder a sense of purpose not just a mount for a warrior, but a soothing comfort to others namely the down trodden in this group here.
So at that, Dave and Tim gathered the group around and they began to devise a plan for scouting with shifts and parties and the numbers and types of class peoples in those groups as so that those skills could be honed for that particular purpose. Such as farmer's , hunters, smiths, miner's, surgeons/wizards/wisewomen, all were classed in each party. But, all would come together before making a final decision. A small long house was planned to provide shelter right away. So since it was early mornign the got to work.
  Rondell could hear the conversation going on and knew it was safe to approach Dave and Thunder again, but he did it as not to frighten the group. He flew to an outrageous altitude, then descended at speed to the top of Dave's shoulder, and slowed to a gentle hover. Dave didn't even know he landed. Until Rondell told him. Dave then gave Rondell a piece of jerky as a reward for staying hidden, and comign back in such a covert manner. "Good job, Rondell. As you know we'll be here a while." Dave said. As he dismounted Thunder and told him not to stray, but do find some good grass to eat. "I know this is why we are here." Rondell said. in as reassuring voice and serious look. "So I guess we too are part of this prophesy." Dave said. At that time, a voice whispered the name Lincara in both Dave and Rondell's mind. Sulis sent a telepathic message to both of them. And for some strange reason both now knew that somehow maybe some of the men or women in this group could be the mighty warriors that Lincara's prophesy of the Tuatha de Danaan. spoke of. And so this was their mission to raise an army out of a rag tag group of starving peasants, what better way to test the meddle of a growing dragon and warrior whom has not fought consistantly since most kings weren't willing to pay for warriors at this time. "Could we be those great warriors?" Dave asked Rondell. And they both laughed, Dave in a big belly laugh, and Rondell in a little duck like quaking laugh with snorts of fire. Thinking they were to be just the helpers of the these people saviors in a way. And that's that and they go on to another small task. But, then they stopped in all seriousness, and thought "What if we are?" at the same time. And then they began working to build a new village and train the people to not only be citzen, but warrior citizens, and so they began work at a feverish pace....

CountessofPhoenix

Tess and Sulis wake the next morning to find themselves alone in a shack that appeared to have been uninhabited for some time.
"Tess was it a dream," asks Sulis.
"More likely a nightmare given the recent events," chuckles Tess, "but these pendants are real so let's just assume the rest was as well. Our otherworldly host has given us our assignment to raise an army, or to be an army or some such thing, and since we can't do that sitting here I guess we had better head out."
Reaching for her pack she found it unusually heavy and was astonished to find it fully supplied with the things they would need on their trek including several ears of dried corn, Sulis's favorite.
"Hope they planned for everything," Sulis says as she peers over Tess's shoulder.
"Let's find out," Tess answers as she starts out the door. Reaching the side of the shack she wonders,"Which way should we go."
"I think we should head toward that red light Tess." Sulis exclaims excited at their adventure as she flies a short distance ahead of Tess.
"Let's see, fire, volcano, evil dust genie what else can you think of that might cause a red tinge to the sky?" Tess wonders aloud as she follows her baby dragon."Can't think of a single thing that is good that makes the sky red." Shaking her head she stops and looks around. "Dragons live forever but not so lonely girls," she sings under her breath the little song of her childhood coming to mind. Suddenly a sound can be heard approaching like thousands of wings. "Sulis come quick." and as her dragon companion returns....
Countess of Phoenix
Designer Extraordinaire

Alphonse

The old wizard paused for a moment from his hard work, and lit his pipe. All about him, lay stacks of books and scrolls. After a few moments he rose and set down his pipe as he left the room. As he entered the room adjacent to the one he had left, a small yellow bird took flight and fluttered over to him, landing on his head."You crazy Cookoo chicken", he said happily to the bird as he raised a hand and extended a finger which she quickly jumped up on.Reaching back down to his shoulder, she hopped off his finger and on to his shoulder while rushing across it to playfully tug at his ear.He laughed at her as she did so, while moving himself across the room to an old stove to remove the tea kettle there and make himself some tea. Taking up a large mug of tea, he moved to a couch beside a window, the bird hopped off and ran along the back of the couch making excited calls to the birds playing at the feeders outside.Alternating between blowing on the hot tea and taking sips of it as he could, he said aloud, "what I need is a trip into town,for supplies as well as a break from my work."

An hour later he closed the door to his hut as he left and climbed up and into his wagon pulled by an old grey mare.He passed a lovely warm spring morning while riding along the old forest tract into town.Once there he made the rounds,selling herbs he had collected in the forest or had grown in his garden and collecting the gold he would spend while out buying tea and ink,paper and a few books that caught his eye.He stopped by the blacksmith's shop for a keg of nails as well as having the horse reshod,she was well over due for it.Leaving the horse and wagon behind he unloaded a large wooden box that held a dozen bottles on meade he had made to sell to a friend of his that ran the local inn.

Entering the dark and smoky tavern which was part of the inn, he gave his eyes a moment to adjust,before setting down the meade and greeting his friend Tom.

"How goes it old man",asked the innkeeper,"brought me some more muscidine wine?"

"No, I have brought you some meade this time", came Alphonse's reply.

The innkeeper made a face,"you know your practically the only one around here that still drinks that stuff these days." "I think I still have a bottle or two left of the last that you brought." "Now your wine is a differant matter, I can't keep it on the shelves,next please bring me some more of that."

Alphonse gave a laugh, "for no more then what you pay me for it, you really do not have much room to complain about the meade instead of wine." "Now, what are we having for lunch,today?"

"Beef stew and a loaf of black bread the wife cooked this morning, good enough for you?" old Tom asked.

"Throw in some of that good cheese,that she makes and bring me a bottle of that meade you can't get rid of and you got yourself a deal",answered the wizard.

"Done", said Tom, and shot his daughter a look that set her off to the kitchen as he poured a glass for his friend."There's a young fellow staying here last night and tonight as well,that's been asking everyone he's met if they know where he can find a wizard."

"What's he want?" asked Alphonse as he made a sour face at the news.

"Who can tell, with a young lad like that" said Tom."A love potion? maybe luck in battle? who knows?"

"Luck in battle?" asked the old wizard.

"Oh, did I forget to mention the fact that he claims to be a knight", asked the innkeeper. "If he is in fact one, he's a young one."

"Hmm?" replied the wizard, "a knight in search of a wizard, I will have to think on that a bit", as he moved off from the bar and over to the table that Tom's daughter had just finished setting for his meal.

Alphonse

About half way through his meal, Alphonse noticed the young chap that Tom had mentioned come in and take a seat at the bar. The innkeeper made a good deal of motion trying to point out that fact to the wizard without being obvious to the knight. Never having been a knight the old inn keeper was unable to distinguish the subtile signs that marked the young man as one.Making up his mind the old wizard made a motion with his hand and nodded his assent to meet him so Tom could see it.

"Yer in luck today young master Eirik, that man over there near the fire may well be able to help you find a wizard", said the inn keeper.

Turning to look in Alphonse's direction, the young man turned back quickly and asked, "what the odd looking old hermit dressed in green?"

"Indeed the very same", said Tom. "Why don't you take a bottle over and introduce yourself and offer him a drink before you ask him for his help."

"Ok then, what is he drinking?"asked the young knight.

"Ah, only the finest meade for that one will do, I just happen to have a bottle here, I can let you have for five silver", said the inn keep as he took down the last bottle Alphonse had brought him on his last trip before this one.The young man counted out his coins and left them on the bar as he turned and made his way towards the wizard,bottle in hand.

"Allow me to introduce myself,good sir,my name is Eirik Herjolksson, I have a bottle of fine meade,may I offer you a drink?" spoke the young knight as he stood beside the table where the old man had just finshed taking his meal.

The old man looked up some what distractedly as he motioned at a chair,"yes thank you,my name is Alphonse, please have a seat." Young Eirik hurriedly filled Alphonse's mug and poured himself one as well and took a seat."What is it that I can do for you, young Norseman and by the way is that Thor's hammer you wear?" asked the wizard while pointing at a silver medalion hanging at the young knight's neck.

"Yes it is, I am one who yet follows the old ways as my father did and his father before him", answered the young man. Continuing on he asked,"you wouldn't happen to know where one might find a wizard, would you, the inn keeper thought that you might."

"Indeed it is possible" replied Alphonse,"but it would help if I knew what it was that you seek, see there are many differant types of wizard, almost each is some sort of specialist, favoring one kind of magic over another."

"Ah I see now", said Eirik,"I am looking for one that might advise me on matters concerning dragons."

Alphonse felt a sudden jerk with in his mind, with such force he wondered if he had actually recoiled himself from it, the voice he heard in his mind said,"he has come on a crusade to kill us!" The old man paused and took a drink from his mug to allow him a second to collect his wits."What is it that you need to know about dragons, how best to kill one I suspect?" asked the wizard.

"No, I remember stories from my youth about the ancients who rode upon them into battle, I seek just such a mount for myself", replied the young knight.

"Even worse, he wishes to enslave one of us, would you see young dear Muscidine led off as a slave to war?" said the voice in the wizard's head.

"No!" spoke Alphonse rather louder then he meant to.

"Excuse me ?" asked the young knight.

"I said no, I do not know of any wizard who could help you find a dragon, in these parts they are but a myth, perhaps a thousand leagues and a thousand years ago far off in the east you might have found one, but nothing around here", answered the wizard. "The only wizlings that I know of, is an old man who lives off in the woods near here, who might help you with a potion or two and a woman a day's journey north of here who might tell you your fortune but I doubt seriously that you could ever find a mage who might be able to help you." "Now , if you'll excuse me, I have some matters to attend to." And with that Alphonse left the inn. The young man sat at the table alone as he poured the last of the meade in his mug, turning over the thoughts in his head, he is the one, I can feel it.

Alphonse

People looked rather oddly at the old man as he walked along the street talking to himself."No, I am not ready, I still have much work to do yet, perhaps without sleep in a fortnight I maybe ready to begin the casting."  "I will say more about it later, people are looking at me strangely and crossing the street to keep from meeting me", said Alphonse as he hurried along his way.

He heard a soft laugh inside his head and then the dragon said, "you know that we can talk like this without you saying a single word aloud."

The old wizard replied aloud,"No I didn't know that" before catching himself. Continuing on silently in his mind he said,"you never mentioned that to me before."

"You never had an audience before, it didn't matter if you spoke aloud or not", answered the dragon.

Alphonse fumed silently, knowing that she was right didn't help to abate the anger he felt at having needlessly made himself appear half mad. The encounter with the young knight already had him agitated, the fear that he might have to kill him to protect himself and the dragons crowded in as well.
Finally he reached the blacksmith's shop, he paid the man and climbed up into the wagon,leaving as quickly as possible without drawing any further undue attention to himself as he headed eastward out of town.

Martin Montgomery

Martin slowly stood,checking his sore and battered body for injuries and finding more serious than a few shallow cuts, some bruising that would add a little color but not much pain and an egg sized bump on the crown of his head. " Not too bad fer' flyin' who knows how far! Or to where" The big merchant gathered as much of his undamaged stock that lay scattered around his landing spot and shoved it all haphazardly into the one pack he could find in the gathering gloom.The darkness moved quickly,as the last rays of the sun disappeared behind a cliff to the West. It also seemed to him that Violet's "voice" was growing stronger,easier to comprehend as the two companions "talked" more. "This way Martin! I have found a sheltered place for us to stay dry warm and safe from harm tonight!" The woozy merchant followed the sound of the "voice" and soon came upon a small opening in the cliffs' face,a Very.... Small...... Opening...."Violet! Sweetie!" He called out loud as her thoughts seemed occupied by something. Vi I doubt that I will be able to fit inside your cave here,I will make a camp outside and in the morning I will see what kind of food is left that is edible!" He stooped to look into the hole and an eerie howl sounded!  Very near! The big man bumped his hurt head as the sounds of ....something, climbing or clambering down the steep cliff's side! Violet's angry hissssss erupted behind him and her talons closed on a VERY tender area!  "Move It MARTIN!!! Get Inside before they get to the base of the wall! He had jerked forward as the little Dragonette's attack landed and with that bit of incentive Martin's large body pushed through the small opening!  Finding himself in a fair sized cave that had the remains of campfires and a good stock of dried firewood in one corner. Standing and starting to curse his playfull purple prodigy he turned........... and threw himself to the rocky floor once more!! A large three clawed paw had swiped the air right in front of Martin's nose! Loud howls of anger and.......hunger cut through the big man's core as he quickly backpeddled several feet further from the questing appendage. " What in the Devil's Name?!?!??!" He cried.  "Violet fluttered to a landing on a nearby outcrop of stone, " That ...I think ,is a Sand Devil. It's mate is at the rear entrance,but it has been blocked by a landslide and she can't get through!" The small Dragonette preened it's leathery wings and sounded pleased with herself. "They will be gone by the light of day so we will be able to leave then......Have you got anymore Cheese?" 
Half the man I used to be!! 
Landshark#79      
Member of Culloden Moor

Poldugarian Warrior

Dave,Tim, Rondell, and Thunder, and this group of peasants had built a fine village, with a church, several shops, a tavern, and a large wall surrounding it. Of course the village was all timber, but they made it as solid and lasting as possible with what little amount and quality of wood they had. And the cool river and wood nearby provided food,fuel, and more building materials if they ever ran out. And so for a time there was much joy in the small village. Evrythin ran off the barter system, and evryone was skilled at something and no matter how low skilled the task it was still looked upon favorably in the community. Of course, the village wasn't without it's problems, thefts were common, fights, a few killings, but all of these things happened due to the strife and hard times these people were put through. There were no leaders, so Dave and Tim took those positions. And they gathered the village elders and others whom could read and write and preach and made them also part of the small ruling class. But, it was unlike any other since the times of the Romans. This group formed a democracy in this small group. They listened to the peasants concerns and dealt with them accordingly and with humanity. To this village, feudalism was dead, and their new way of life was like a dream a utopia to them. While Dave sat in the great hall/long house. He thought about all his newly found friends and where they had gone. he wished they could be there with him and he could show them what he and this group of people accomplished without outside influences of power. And that he and Rondell knew of the prophecy of the warriors and some could be right there in that village. But, it was too late now they must be isolated from each other, and maybe some day in the future, they would meet again. They all knew where Alphonse's home was, but to travel to it to reunite for a large battle would be treacherous beyond belief. Dave asked the elders and local wizards about long range communication spells, but they weren't forth coming. Which is understandable since no wizard wants to give up his magic secrets that he/she worked so hard to accomplish. So he turned to Rondell whom could communicate telepathically with any organism, and asked if he would be able to communicate what they had done and should come to them and see for themselves if there are any warriors worthy of being part of the prophesy. The little dragon told him he'd see what he could do. And with that. Dave poured himself a full mug of strong ale. Rondell a thimble of ale. Sat back in his log-throne. Rondell curled up on his pillow on the floor. And they both sat and looked into the fire as if searching for something or someone in it. Taking slow sips of the ale. enjoying evry bit. And as the fire died. So too did the warrior and little dragon loose their strength and they fell fast asleep.

CountessofPhoenix

Back to back Tess and Sulis watch the sky for the approach of whatever was making such a sound. But the sky remained clear and the red appeared to approach their position. Suddenly Tess felt something bump her leg and as she looked down she saw what appeared to be roots traveling along the ground at a rapid speed. Sulis takes off and hovers over Tess's head not sure whether this new experience heralded danger or not. From the roots an unusual plant begins to sprout. Not quite a vine, but yet not a bush each new section begins to grow and entwine with the section beside it until soon a larger complicated tree. Its branches reach hundreds of feet into the air and it's root system extending for what seems like miles. The roots were the source of the red haze, disturbing the soil and releasing dust into the air as they burrowed through the dirt.

Sulis lands back beside Tess, " I can't fly over it. It won't let me close." Sulis tells Tess.
"Obviously, it knows we are here. It isn't moving anymore." Tess explains to Sulis. "Whether friend or foe is yet to be determined, but anyone capable of this type of magic must be respected either way."

An opening in the tree begins to form until it is as tall as two men and wide enough for two horses to enter. Light spills out of the opening and the sounds of a community at play is heard. Laughter and drums beating in a lively tempo gaining momentum surround Tess and Sulis like a siren's song. Unable to resist this invitation they enter the giant tree house.

Within the inner walls of the tree are homes built into the bark like cave dwellings in a cliff. Towards the center of the village there was a large structure and from this came all the sounds so enticing to the two. Part of Tess's mind rebelling against the very reactions her body was making, that surely great warriors would not enter so blindly into a trap, but yet unable to stop herself from advancing in to the hall. And Sulis, infant that she was, had no thoughts for anything but the sounds of children laughing and singing.

Silence greets them as the enter. At last they stop moving and around them they see a great hall with tapestries of dragons and riders hanging along the walls. Below the tapesties on benches arrayed along the walls a throng of people stare at them. Drawing closer to each other Tess and Sulis haven't a clue what is going on here. From across the room one figure approaches. How any one can be described as tall and willowy and yet sturdy and substantial at the same time defies logic and yet the approaching entity was all of these. Moving towards them a nd yet not seeming to move at all causing Tess to blink several times trying to clear her eyes.

" Peace to you great dragon rider. I am the Elder and these are the Dryads. We have been training dragon riders for eons and when you stepped onto our land it summoned us. You have no reason to fear while you are here, for only your fellow dragon riders can see us. The forest protects her own and in time your friends will join you here, but for now let me show you to a place where you can rest before you begin your training. What shall we call you, for legends speak of many great riders and their partners in the upcoming battle. We only wish to know which pair are you?"

" I am Tess and this is Sulis," Tess replies.

" Your coming was foretold and so you are welcome here." Answers the Elder. Turning towards the hall the Elder says, " Rejoice, the first of the seven have arrived. The Phoenix and Sulis have come to begin their training. Celebrate for tomorrow begins the training for battle against the dark force."
Countess of Phoenix
Designer Extraordinaire

Alphonse

Looking over his shoulder as he rolled out of the town, the old wizard had the feeling that he might be followed. The concern worried him enough that in spite of heading out of the west gate towards home, he turned on the first lane that he came across and began heading east.Along the way he stopped twice to look and see if he could detect any sign of pursuit, open or concealed. Finally he calmed down enough to give up looking but continued none the less in the opposite direction from home.He wasn't sure where he was headed but felt that a few weeks away from home wouldn't hurt things any.

Riding in his beat up grey cart pulled by an old grey mare headed east down a bumpy dirt road cut through the forest, the old wizard mumbled a unheard spell and snapped his fingers over his battered churchward pipe. A flame lept up in the bowl as he puffed away on it. He had been out of pipe weed for some time before heading down into Raven's fort for supplies. He sold potions herbs and scrolls for the things that he needed and often more times then not had enough gold left over to buy a few books to add to his library.Glancing up to the sky to see if it was to see if it was going to snow, sleet or rain anytime soon, he suddenly became alert as the pipe dropped from his mouth and into his lap...

Poldugarian Warrior

The next morning Dave and Rondell, had woke up and went out to the village, and spoke with the villagers, and Tim. And told them they had to leave for a while to gather supplies and meet a friend in a far off village. They told Tim that he was in charge. And since evryone in the village got along quite well, they agreed to make him leader for however long Dave and Rondell were to be gone. So Dave and Rondell set off, Dave reached for the grip of his saddle and threw himself up and on top of Thunder's back, saying good bye to a woman Dave had fell in love with over the time of building the village. He couldn't tell her where he was going, for it could jeopardize the whole prophecy. But, she and the villagers knew Dave and Rondell would be back with all sorts of goods and evrythin would be well again. And with that Dave and Rondell shot off at full gallop, with a wagon in tow a short while Rondell took flight and kept up good speed with the horse and rider. For now he'd grown to the size of a Labrador Retriever with wings. Along the path, Dave and Thunder had to steer around and ride slowly/gingerly over rocks and shallow streams that moved over and through the path caused by the settling land, but Rondell flew farther ahead and higher to get a good scouting position. Rondell shot a thought down to Dave.

"There's a small wagon with a guy driving it, with a green hat and it's conical." Rondell yelled down with a screech, but Dave understood all of it.

Dave spoke back with his thoughts saying, "That sounds like the looks of Alphonse, but it can't be we're too far away from that village, or so I thought."

With that Dave strove harder to control Thunder at speed through the woods to catch up with Alphonse, but it was getting too thick, or someone he thought was Alphonse. At that moment, Rondell shot down another thought that he'd been spotted by the conically hatted man, and blown their cover. So Dave slowed and Rondell returned to Thunder and Dave's side. At the height Rondell was flying he couldn't make a positive identification, and that's when they ran into trouble.

As they moved slowly now, shadows moved through the brush and trees, and looked like black spirits, but Dave knew exactly who they were bandits, and not the Robin Hood Merry Men type, these were the cut yer throat and ask questions later type. So Rondell and Dave, kept moving, hoping that they would just pass through unscathed, but then, jumping down from a tree top, one of the bandits swung down and landing a hard kick to Dave's shoulder knocked him off his horse and to the ground, but Dave got up quickly, and at that moment he started to twist and twirl and spin his sword in all directions a style of fighting not seen too often in those parts, but the weapon was no different it was a broadsword, no ninja blade. And so then three more bandits showed up. They spoke a tongue foreign to him, not even close to any European or Eastern dialects, maybe a code language or ancient tongue used in the mountains. The one that knocked him from his horse, produced a shovel, another a pitch fork, another a scythe, and finally a sword. The one with the shovel tried to bash Dave on top his head, but with a upward parry and then thrust he was dispatched. The man with the pitch fork, tried a thrust, but Dave side stepped and decapitated him, the man with the scythe came at Dave waving it wildly, and the man with the sword stood behind Dave ready to stab him in the back. Rondell saw this and puffed up his cheeks, and let out a mighty blast of white hot fire, mind you white hot, Dave was used to seeing dragons let out red fire. He took this to mean that Rondell was vastly important to this prophecy. As the white fire, burnt the man. He was basically turned into a red mist, like an explosive bomb does to one in a war. The man with the scythe still was coming at Dave yelling and screaming, Dave block evry eradic attack, yet he was still unable to get a good strike in. Rondell sat and watched as the two battled on. He even asked Dave several times whether or not he wanted him to finish him off for him. Dave responded, No! evry time. He said he needed the practice, and finally as the sun was nearing setting. The bandit made one of the biggest mistakes in a fight. He turned his back, thinking he could make a spin attack, but Dave just stood there and thrust into the back of his attacker. The blade went straight through, for Dave was tired of fighting this guy, and he wanted to make doubly sure he was killed. With the fight ended, and Thunder coming back from scouting ahead, Thunder told them the path got wider and less hemmed in by trees and brush only a few yards ahead, and they could continue at speed and he thought he could see smoke up ahead and possibly a few buildings, a small village or city could lay straight ahead.

And with that Dave saddled up again, and Rondell took to the skies, and they continued the journey, hoping to meet up with the conical hat man (Alphonse? or someone else, or a doppleganger?) and to get into town for a meal,drink, and sleep. Before making some serious  supply decisions the next morning.