News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Trebuchet (or Why You Shouldn't Miss Pub Sing)

Started by will paisley, August 25, 2008, 10:05:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

will paisley

Near the end of Pub Sing, Jack/Tim was talking about how some of the things he'd seen (actually, I think he was just filling time waiting for Mickey Hooligan to come to the stage), and he mentioned about how somebody who "just happened to be in the area" showed up at the faire towing his very own, full sized, fully operational trebuchet and asked if he could bring it in.  Although Captain Moone correctly observed that nowhere on the list of prohibited items did it mention "siege engines", Skivee pointed out that the trebuchet would have at least had to have been peace-tied.
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally

RedRobin

Which evening was this?  I missed the end of Saturday and all of Sunday while helping to close up a shop.  *sigh*  I wonder if anyone managed to get that segment on film?

Scotsman

Man, had I known ... I traded my Trebuchet in for a Ford F150 ... man do I miss my old ride! I could go from 0 to 60 in a second! :D
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

lowlandscot

Quote from: Scotsman on August 25, 2008, 01:40:33 PM
man do I miss my old ride! I could go from 0 to 60 in a second! :D

So this is you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67fFDiPRsrk

I notice you go from 60 to 0 pretty damn fast as well.

Wasn't there some other odd little piece to the trebuchet story....the guy was from Bulgaria or something?

Scotsman

LoL ... you would play hell getting me to do that!

Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

will paisley

Quote from: RedRobin on August 25, 2008, 01:03:32 PM
Which evening was this?  I missed the end of Saturday and all of Sunday while helping to close up a shop.  *sigh*  I wonder if anyone managed to get that segment on film?

It was near the end of the sing on Sunday, and I got him talking about it on tape.  No idea if anybody got a picture of the actual contraption.

Quote from: lowlandscot on August 25, 2008, 01:52:17 PM
Wasn't there some other odd little piece to the trebuchet story....the guy was from Bulgaria or something?

Or something.  I seem to recall it was Denmark, though I could easily be wrong.

If the thing showed up at VARF (by airlift - don't know if it'd fit on any of the roads) I'd be tempted to turn it out at the empty field where the old site used to be, buy him some cantaloupes and say have fun, but I don't even know where you could *park* the bloody thing at MDRF.

lowlandscot

Quote from: will paisley on August 25, 2008, 02:13:43 PM
If the thing showed up at VARF (by airlift - don't know if it'd fit on any of the roads) I'd be tempted to turn it out at the empty field where the old site used to be, buy him some cantaloupes and say have fun, but I don't even know where you could *park* the bloody thing at MDRF.

Oh c'mon.....even a fully operational trebuchet on a trailer is surely no larger than any one of the half dozen John Deere implements I got stuck behind while trying -- once again -- to make up for the time I lost waiting for a disgusting breakfast sandwich at the Sheetz station by taking 208 at 80 mph.

Carl Heinz

New Stirling Arms has small trebuchet kits as well as plans for larger ones.

The kits handle golf balls very nicely.

They also have a miniature mangonel mounted on a pistol stock complete with trigger.  I use dry roasted peanuts for ammunition.

www.newstirlingarms.com

(I'm just a verrry satisfied customer.) :)
Carl Heinz
Guild of St Cuthbert

will paisley

Quote from: lowlandscot on August 25, 2008, 03:01:22 PM

Oh c'mon.....even a fully operational trebuchet on a trailer is surely no larger than any one of the half dozen John Deere implements I got stuck behind while trying -- once again -- to make up for the time I lost waiting for a disgusting breakfast sandwich at the Sheetz station by taking 208 at 80 mph.

Sorry, I meant the 8MPH dirt track that goes by the grape vines. not the asphalt pig trail that SUVs hauling the Queen Mary somehow manage to navigate.

Feline Groovy

If the thing showed up at VARF (by airlift - don't know if it'd fit on any of the roads) I'd be tempted to turn it out at the empty field where the old site used to be, buy him some cantaloupes and say have fun.

I would SO pay good money to see that.  Dang, where's Wilson Watermelon when you need him??
Where was I going and how do I get there?

gypsylakat

well; not sure if they do it anymore but the Temple Hall Farm up in the Leesburg VA area hosts a trebuchet that chucks 8 lb pumpkins usually every year for a few weekends (I used to work there), they have a giant corn maize and stuff like that
http://www.nvrpa.org/parks/themaize/index.php?pg=events.html

you could give em a call, of course, their open pretty much only on weekends so.....
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."