News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Faire no place for the easily offended

Started by Lord Virgil, August 26, 2008, 03:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLAKDUKE

Madge
What you say is most definitly true.  If the incident can be proven to be correct as stated then I think there is a serious problem.  If however the incident is proven to be totally different than I still think we have a problem but of a different sort.  We have met the problem and it is us(para-phrased).  

That said I would like to tell of an incident that could have been along these same lines:

Several years ago at Tennessee, I helped put on a feast on Sundays that involved having an Emu BBQ'd.   Now if anyone has ever seen an Emu,  all I can say is what a drumstick.  Naturally I got a hold of one of those and after the feast there was still plenty of meat left on that sucker, so rather than throw it out I carried it around with me though my travels around the shire and every so often, I would proffer the following, "wouldst care to share the Kings meat"   Of course I would say this holding out this enormous drumstick that would most likely have been equal to 4 or 5 of the biggest turkey legs you ever saw.  No one to my knowledge ever complained and there were more than a few snickers to be heard.   The double entendre was obviously understood and everyone seemed to have fun with it.    I would hope that people that are offended by this sort of thing would stay home or go home.  We had those in Tenn. as well and the management would quickly offer these people their money back and exit them out of the gate.  
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Captain Cornelius Howard Duckman

Dear...god. I would love to have a emu drumstick! hell with the meat, I just want the bone, what a  prop that would be!

BLAKDUKE

I can't argue that.   I don't know if any more are around being slaughtered for meat, but you can try.  I will contact the guy I got mine from and see if he has any.   If he does I'll let you know and figure out someway to get one to you.

Brother Robert of Essex

Well, there's always a weed in the garden, so to speak.  There is always someone who likes to complain about something. I don't know if it's the feeling of power or authority they experience when getting someone else into trouble - or they just like having their ego's stroked.

I have seen it a few times where a parent takes a very small child, 8 or 10 years old, to a bawdy show and the performers warn the parent it might not be appropriate and the parents just smile and say "It's ok, I'll cover his ears" and the jokingly put their hands over the kids ears at certain points in the song.

Ok great but, seriously. These would be the first ones to complain if the kid picked something up. 

The Faire is not the place to be if you don't have a sense of humor. I have gone with a friend who had no sense of humor and was offended at everything, it was sad.

I have already seen them cancel something at my own home faire because of image problems with the public.  So, when I hear something like this it makes me cringe. 

Cyron

Quote from: sealclubber on August 28, 2008, 11:27:40 AM
Dear...god. I would love to have a emu drumstick! hell with the meat, I just want the bone, what a  prop that would be!

lmao.. i can just imagine the things said if you get ahold of one of those.
I'm walking in a dream half the time, and sleeping through reality the other half.
Warning: Have camera, WILL Shoot!!

Brother Robert of Essex

Quote from: BLAKDUKE on August 28, 2008, 11:13:51 AM
Madge
What you say is most definitly true.  If the incident can be proven to be correct as stated then I think there is a serious problem.  If however the incident is proven to be totally different than I still think we have a problem but of a different sort.  We have met the problem and it is us(para-phrased).   

That said I would like to tell of an incident that could have been along these same lines:

Several years ago at Tennessee, I helped put on a feast on Sundays that involved having an Emu BBQ'd.   Now if anyone has ever seen an Emu,  all I can say is what a drumstick.  Naturally I got a hold of one of those and after the feast there was still plenty of meat left on that sucker, so rather than throw it out I carried it around with me though my travels around the shire and every so often, I would proffer the following, "wouldst care to share the Kings meat"   Of course I would say this holding out this enormous drumstick that would most likely have been equal to 4 or 5 of the biggest turkey legs you ever saw.  No one to my knowledge ever complained and there were more than a few snickers to be heard.   The double entendre was obviously understood and everyone seemed to have fun with it.    I would hope that people that are offended by this sort of thing would stay home or go home.  We had those in Tenn. as well and the management would quickly offer these people their money back and exit them out of the gate. 

Emu?? What does that taste like ?  chicken?

nliedel

Twould be goodly thus of us to remember that the voice of reason here be our queen and it is my full and true belief that she woulds't remove heads of those who embelish rumors. Tis why she doth scare the Skittles outta me.

Not that there is any embelishment here, just speculation, etc.

As for Emu, of course it tastes like chicken. Everything tastes like chicken.

My journey from mundane to Ren Actor

BLAKDUKE

Actually not.  It is a red meat not white.  The flavor depends a lot on the spices put on by the cook.

However before we continue, might I suggest if anyone want to discuss EMU and such any further we start another thread and not hi-jack this one.  If this is agreeable mayhap the moderator could move the EMU posts to a new thread.  I'm not sure how to do all that, just a suggestion. 

Lord Virgil

Quote from: nliedel on August 29, 2008, 07:11:49 AM
Twould be goodly thus of us to remember that the voice of reason here be our queen and it is my full and true belief that she woulds't remove heads of those who embelish rumors. Tis why she doth scare the Skittles outta me.

Not that there is any embelishment here, just speculation, etc.

As for Emu, of course it tastes like chicken. Everything tastes like chicken.

I agree that the voice of reason should be heeded, else your head end up in the gallows.  I should have noted that in my reply to her majesty's comment, I sincerly apologize for not showing her the proper respect. 

I didn't start this thread to beat up on management, as our faire's management does a stupendous job of balancing all the concerns of running our beloved Hollygrove.  It was more in hopes of getting the whole true story so a more informed opinion could be formed.  If anyone has the whole story and would like to share (I pormise you 100% anonimity), you can contact me in person at faire, via private message here or via my email address richtazz@comcast.net

I hope the entire matter is resolved and the removed party is allowed to return (as I have always been entertained by his antics), although with a better understanding of his bounds.
Nothing better in life than enjoying a pint amongst friends...Huzzah!

Lady Gwyndolyn

Huzzah to our Queen with her level head!!!!

Lady Gwyndolyn
Duchess of Kearsley

nliedel

and Huzzah that she can't really take them off :)

So Emu tastes like emu. Who woulda guessed?
My journey from mundane to Ren Actor

Martick

I hate rumor mills. It is always a pain in the rear searching through all of the BS to find the truth.

I am a very quiet person I enjoy keeping to myself. I hate having attention drawn to myself, I have been going for years but I doubt any of you there would even know who I am, but I have never been offended at the faire. I have even embarrassed myself a few times...

For instance when the gentleman made the comment to my girlfriend "Lass would you like to wake up with a nut in your mouth..." or something to that affect.... my witty response was... "Been there done that.." Referring of course to my girl friend yet it did not come out as intended as I forgot She's in there... embarrassed yes... slinking away yes... willing to kill everyone's fun over it no.

I always try to be a person of principle and honor... I will just have to see if the nut and pickle men I love so much... (don't think that sounded much better than above) are not there or are not hawking their wares as per usual it will probably be my last visit too the faire.

I have been coming since I was 18 so for the last 9 years so that will be a very sad event for me. However I believe that the nut and pickle men are just brandishing the type of harmless fun that should be allowed at the faire and if management wants to put an end to that then I will go to the other faires and SCA events around and enjoy the playful and good natured raunchy humor that I enjoy at those events.

As far as offending people, and making people feel like they are being attacked. I have never had any tolerance for those care bear loving, politically correct, holier than thou, unhonorably whelps.

P.S. I love carebears.
~Courage isn't a brilliant flash, A daring deed in a moments flash~

RenWitch

I believe our Queen's advice should be heeded in many situations...one does hear so much....and most of it is lacking somewhat in truth.

Gwyn

I too feel that there is more (or less) to this story.  It would be a shame if one lone comment was the root of all of this.