News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Weekend Weather Outlook: October 18th & 19th

Started by CapnFayeCutler, August 27, 2008, 07:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Caroline

Safe travels to all!!  Drive with care in the rain :)

Capt. Morgan

FINALLY!! I'M OUTTA HERE AN HEADING HOME!

See you all in a few  ;)
I can be one of those "bad things" that happen to bad people.

StareNorthSteve

Last minute update .. weather.com has changes their forecast ... now it's showing cloudy to mostly cloudy...which means a bit sunny too. Me thinks CapnFaye's weather voodoo is working it's magic!

I'm outta here (work)! See you all there.
Ale-ing Archer
Loveland Castleteer
Head-Balancer of Ale

Lady Caroline

Well, we packed four umbrellas, and no sunscreen.  The weather turned out beautifully, with nary a spot of rain, and I went home with a sunburned face.  Good times all around.

CapnFayeCutler

What a pleasant surprise this weekend! No rain! Although we had to leave early due to the insanely dangerous wind gusts and falling trees. Did they shut down early? I know a few vendors were because it was starting to get really bad...Almost a third of the fence was gone as we were driving out!
Slack'n Penny -  Chieftess, Clan Byrne of the IPB
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575
RoOL 26 | Castleteer | ETTE

StareNorthSteve

Quote from: CapnFayeCutler on September 14, 2008, 10:10:38 PM
What a pleasant surprise this weekend! No rain! Although we had to leave early due to the insanely dangerous wind gusts and falling trees. Did they shut down early? I know a few vendors were because it was starting to get really bad...Almost a third of the fence was gone as we were driving out!

On Sunday, as we were standing in front of the tomato throw, the wind pulled two sections of fencing out of the support post. I could hear the nails screeching as the wind pried them out of the wood. Luckily, we backed off before the fence gave way and we didn't get hit. On the drive home, we had a downed tree blocking one lane (I-71N) an saw a semi/trailer that had been blown over on it's side. A wild afternoon to say the least!
Ale-ing Archer
Loveland Castleteer
Head-Balancer of Ale

celtaban

This was the damage that I personally saw when I left Sunday about 6 p.m.  (I'm a vendor, so this includes some backstage stuff.)

A number of trees came down in the woods, including a very large one that crushed a campsite.  Thankfully (at least as far as I know), no one was hurt. 

Other trees and large branches were down onsite, and the ground was absolutely littered with twigs, leaves and walnuts.

Many shops had roof damage and assorted repairs to make:  siding pulled loose, signs knocked down, etc.

(This is hearsay):  A vendor's van was crushed by a falling tree.  No injuries.

All of the tents but one across the lane from my shop (White Pavilion Clothing, in Upson Downs) had to tear down.  Even seasoned ORF goddess Lady Rossana had to strike her colors when the wind got up under the roof of her tiny gazebo and prepared it for liftoff.  Each and every tent was mobbed with helpers in their hour of need, both rennies and patrons.  God bless 'em.

As the wind increased, patrons fled.  I did a walkabout to see the situation for myself around 4 - 4:30.  Very few patrons were left.  Many vendors had already packed up, having gotten word from management that the decision to close or not was up to them.  Others were hanging tough and looking pretty bored.  Both ends of the show had been roped off by then, so that the only crossovers (a creek runs lengthwise through the site) were the Y-bridge in the middle and the small bridge by the Reveler's Stage.  I heard that there were some branches down by the Knight's Encampment bridge, and could see some of that from my shop.  I don't know what the issue was on the opposite end of the show, but all of the games were made inaccessible.  Maybe it was judged unwise to be flinging things in that wind.

Sometime after 2 p.m., the power went off, and was expected to remain off at least overnight.

I closed up about 5:00.  As I was packing to leave, to return to Tennessee for the week, I heard lots of banging against the wall of my bunkhouse, which is out behind my shop.  The noise turned out to be from pieces of my neighbor's roof, which was blowing off in chunks.  Part of my bunkhouse roof rolled up like the lid of a sardine can.

Fortunately, the storms that were predicted never materialized.  I was checking weather.com every hour throughout the day until the power failed, and saw the radar map tracking the storm as it veered more toward the north.  Up to the time I left, we had only fierce wind and a few spits of drizzle.  I don't know what the wind speed was at ORF, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear of gusts well over 80 m.p.h.

On my way home last night, I saw Cincinnati in near-blackout condition, with only one working gas station close to I-71.  Trees, branches, light poles and wires were down everywhere.  Blackouts were spotty all the way into Louisville; south of there, everything seemed to be fine.

Be assured that the show site is fine; to my knowledge, nothing is wrong that can't be put right in a day or so of cleanup and repair.  (Not so for individuals who suffered some property loss; they'll need support, I'm sure.)   

Poof Bird

lol, my work is about a stones throw from the castle, and we are still out of power, so I'm just on call today!  Crazy!  We lost 2 trees, tons and tons were lost in my township.  Neighbors lost siding, cars had dents and scratches from wind damage, my area went under "Code Red" which means if you are out, unless it's an emergenc, they will arrest you and ticket you.

Crazy night!!  But hey, IT WAS EXCITING!!  :D

FortuneRose

ugh.  We JUST got our power back recently.  It had been out since 2 pm yesterday afternoon...  nearly 22 hours with it off.  We have 4 trees down on our street block....  tons of power lines down..  yup, we're under stage 3 emergency too..  no one on the streets here.  We got so desperate for coffee this morning we took a pot of water out to the grill with a burner to heat it up and run through a drip coffee maker...  lol...  tasted like piss water it was so weak.  And, my husbands grandfather fell through a glass door and busted up his face and hand...  NEEDED stitches, refused to go get them..   stubborn old man.
LLVW

Capt. Morgan

I have a feeling I'm not in Kansas anymore...oh, wait...I didn't start there to begin with!!

Well...Mehan, Ewan, Dwyn and I left the Faire (unwillingly, trust me, but we were told that the Faire was closing and refunds available) on Sunday afternoon saying our "Farewell until the next time" to our wonderful friends from Maryland and Pennsylvania (Lady Guinness, Scotsman, DuCouer, Syrac et al...."WE LOVE YOU, MAAAAAAN!!") The drive back to Wilmington seemed almost SciFi with no power to the small towns we passed and trees, branches and leaf derbis scattered about. (Did my eyes deceive me or did the big sign at the entrance to the Faire also come down??) The Wilmington Inn (as well as the rest of the city) had no power and no place open to eat...FORTUNATELY...we thought to bring cheese, beef log, crackers and wine (as did Mehan and Ewan...great minds, what can I say?)....and while the wind howled we had a cozy lil' repast in our makeshift "Pub" at the Inn on a picnic table in a breezeway. Odd going to bed with no power and waking up to the same (This is supposed to be the Renaissance...Age of Enlightenment...NOT the Dark Ages...Hellloooo?) but we managed fairly well (NO COFFEE????!) Driving up north we took stock of the damage up here as well and in parts and places around us, there is still no power but we weathered the storm with just a few branches down.

It was a hell of a wonderful weekend seeing you all at ORF and I apologize to many of you that I didn't say a personal "Hello" to AND to not thanking GingerKat for the wonderful picture she made me and her parents delivered when they came up to GLMF! I was hoping to spend more time with you all on Sunday...but it seems Mother Nature had her own plans.

I hope you are all now safe and sound at home and once more, Dwyn and I thank you for showing us a wonderful time at a Faire that has certainly won a place in our hearts as it was our first Faire we ever attended now some....19 years ago?

Merry Meet, Merry Part, and Merry Meet Again!!

I remain yours ever,

Captain Morgan Dunne
I can be one of those "bad things" that happen to bad people.

mehan

What Capt Morgan said...... An excellent well weekend.  To all our friends, old and new thank you for an excelent time. 

Although we shared the dark windy night (and wine) with Capt and Dwyn, unlike them as we headed south east rather than northeast we seemed to quickly come out of the path of the storm - back in Roanoke its hot (86)  and humid.... ain't it all strange. 

I am off to get pictures developed (yes Scotsman, I am so 1980!)

jinx

Our electricity came back on around 9 this morning (or so I'm told, I was at work, dealing with "what happens after a power outage at Walmart").  It went out sometime around 1:30, not long after Courtney and I had left to make our way up to Faire.  There we arrived around 2, and took off again at 4, due to the wind damage.  Our first course home (Antioch Road) was blocked by a fairly sizable tree, as well as a downed power line.  This caused some commotion from the roomie when I called to ask him to find the Clinton Co. Sheriff's number so that I could let them know.  During said phone call, we nearly wrecked due to a full-size truck bed liner blowing across the road less than 4 feet from the front of Courtney's car.  We finally made it home around 5:30 (a drive that normally takes 45 minutes!), but my hubby was stuck at a friend's house until the wind died down.  I didn't see the full extent of the damage around here until this afternoon.  The triplex we live in lost a -lot- of shingles, the lady next door had 2 or 3 smaller trees down, and I saw 2 quite sizable trees -totally- uprooted on my course home from work.

As I heard, the outages went clear over to Indianapolis.  I spent most of my work day simultaneously working and calling everyone I knew to check on them.  Thankfully, everyone's been okay.
Lust.
Pirate.
Wench.
Mischievous Little Imp.
Dinosaur.

Athena

There was lots of damage up in the NE area of the state as well. Lots of debris and crews cleaning up the roads, and (according to my neighbor) 30,000 people in the Akron area alone area lost power.

I was sad to leave the faire early, but at least we got most of the day in before the really nasty stuff started. I hope the damage gets cleaned up quickly!
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Poof Bird

Here in Cincinnati, at one point 90% of the people on Duke Energy were out of power.  My little area of town, Anderson Township, is one of the few places with electricity right now.  We have people from ALL OVER coming to get gas, groceries, etc.  IT"S A BLOODY MAD HOUSE  O_O

YAY for Ike, made my week that much more exciting!  And for those who didn't know, it was actually a Catagory 1 hurricane when it hit us in Cincy!  AWESOME  :D

Bugsy

Quote from: Poof Bird on September 15, 2008, 05:06:41 PM
Here in Cincinnati, at one point 90% of the people on Duke Energy were out of power.  My little area of town, Anderson Township, is one of the few places with electricity right now.  We have people from ALL OVER coming to get gas, groceries, etc.  IT"S A BLOODY MAD HOUSE  O_O

YAY for Ike, made my week that much more exciting!  And for those who didn't know, it was actually a Catagory 1 hurricane when it hit us in Cincy!  AWESOME  :D

Same here!  (I'm right next to Loveland).  Everyone lost their power but us, which is weird because we're usually the first ones to lose power!  There is a THICK tree down in my neighbors yard though.  Our grocery stores and gas stations are crazy too.  And my son's school was closed today and will be tomorrow also.
Elvish dragonfly
Castleteer
Bugs'n M'Crack Clan O'Maille
sister of Lady Pegos