News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Favor Sash

Started by Yrose, August 28, 2008, 08:24:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yrose

Ok, it's time for me to make us favor sashes. I would greatly appreciate any help. What type of material and size. I do have some black twill I am considering. I'm wanting opinions on sizes, maybe 12x5? Let me know what all you great seamstresses have made before.
Don't forget to smell the roses, but watch out for the thorns!

renren

Been wondering lately, too!
Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

Madge Estes

I found a wonderful solution to this...

TABLE RUNNERS!!  I picked up a lovely table runner at KMart at Christmas time, folded it over to give it enough body to hold pins properly.  It is pretty, functional, and most importantly washable.
Live so your dreams recognize you.

Artemisia

Quote from: Madge Estes on August 28, 2008, 09:59:30 AM
I found a wonderful solution to this...

TABLE RUNNERS!!  I picked up a lovely table runner at KMart at Christmas time, folded it over to give it enough body to hold pins properly.  It is pretty, functional, and most importantly washable.

You're an evil genius.

My current favor sash is also a black twill about 12 x 5. It has a wide fold-over belt loop on top. I sewed a deep pocket on the back. Great place to keep your lipstick, plastic comb, pygmy marmoset, pre-packaged hand wipes, etc...

Artemisia Moltabocca
You haven't had enough coffee unless you can thread a sewing machine while it's running.

Yrose

I like the pocket idea. Is the twill stiff enough for you?

Artemisia

Quote from: Yrose on August 28, 2008, 11:18:04 AM
I like the pocket idea. Is the twill stiff enough for you?

Twill is just fine. I don't put heavy items like keys or coins in it. The sash was made with two long layers so the pocket folded up from the bottom with all seams on the inside. I guess you could line the entire sash with canvas duck cloth to make it stronger.
Artemisia Moltabocca
You haven't had enough coffee unless you can thread a sewing machine while it's running.

Master James

Mine is made of leather.  The top is tooled leather that fits over the belt and then the sash itself is a light garment leather that holds the pins really well.
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

Yrose

Wow, hadn't though of leather, that would be nice.....

RenRobin

Quote from: Yrose on August 28, 2008, 12:25:49 PM
Wow, hadn't though of leather, that would be nice.....
;) ;) ;) Yrose likes her leather!  :o :o
Loki-terr (in training)

Lady Toadflinger

Please excuse my ignorance, but, what is a favor sash? ??? I don't think I've ever seen one!  Could someone post a picture? Gramercy!
keeper of the royal menagerie

renren

Ooo.. table runners, what a great idea!

Renren
Wench  #  3783

Guppy # 32 ROoL

Master James

Quote from: Lady Toadflinger on August 28, 2008, 05:28:24 PM
Please excuse my ignorance, but, what is a favor sash? ??? I don't think I've ever seen one!  Could someone post a picture? Gramercy!

A favor sash is a way to display your favors, pins, etc...  A favor is a small token that people make at faire and then give to people.  I also put my pins from the various groups I belong to on it as well such as my R/F, RenVet, M'Crack, Royal Order of the Landsharks and others on there.
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

Lady Renee Buchanan

You can see my sash in this picture.  Steve is wearing his, but it's under his vest.  

A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard

Wow LadyRB you have alot of pins. I was wondering where to put them, sash is a great idea. Love the leather idea too.
MDRF Dandy  "Delfinia DuSwallow"
Sun'n Penny - Clan O'Morda
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

LadySeasan

ive never received a favor pin or button :( i feel unloved :(

lol jk
Clan M'Crack-Season M'Crack

Tygrkat

Worry not, Lady Seasan, I just received my first favor this season at Sterling...but this was the first season I was also feeling brave enough to introduce myself to others .... {Thank Thee again, Lady Julie  :)}
50% Endora, 50% Aunt Clara.

Lady L

I have never received a favor/pin either.  :(
Former Shop Owner at MNRF

Dustin

::wonders if he'll run into any R/F folk at his first faire and possibly get a favor::
If love be rough with you, be rough with love;
Prick love for pricking, and you beat love down. Romeo & Juliet, 1.IV

Madge Estes

It's like trading pins at the Olympics.  One of the best ways to get one is to give one!

Lady L

Yes, I suppose in theory that's true, it should work that way.

R carves wooden flowers and hands them out free to people.

I sometimes give out magnets to special people, which are images of my art. My grandaughter gave one to Twig and one to the Queen, as well. I had an idea for pins on my art, but I didn't get that done. Do they have to have pins attached, or does it mean favors are "pinless?" If so, I have given out a LOT of favors over the past eleven years.

Madge Estes

If you want to wear them on a favor sash, they need to have some way of attaching, i.e. pins or tacks.

Lady Renee Buchanan

We've been to a couple of Rendezvous and some invasions.  I find that when there is a large group of RFers there together, more favors get passed around.  I usually make up a bunch if we're going to Rendezvous, knowing that I'll be passing them out and receiving them.  However, this year in TN, I didn't get a chance to make any.  My bad!

So that is the major way we have received favors.  Be sure to attend any Meet & Greets that your faire may have.  That's another time to pass out favors.
A real Surf Diva
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 

renren

Quote from: Lady L on August 28, 2008, 11:13:09 PM
I have never received a favor/pin either.  :(

There's a remedy for that!  ;D
Wasn't gonna carry mine, with the kiddos with me.. but Lady Serena and I will return for the last weekend,We'll see you then!
Renren
Wench  #  3783

Guppy # 32 ROoL

Lady L

Huzzah renren! I will get something together for you. ;D

Cerarienh

I never thought of a favor sash.  That is a great idea! 

I didn't start receiving favors until my . . . 3rd year at faire I believe . .. which is when I really started making friends.  I still have yet to hand out my own   :P

will paisley

Quote from: LadySeasan on August 28, 2008, 07:44:21 PM
ive never received a favor pin or button :( i feel unloved :(

lol jk

Best way to get some is to make your own favors, then give them to people you're already friends with who make favors.

Although I didn't have a huge collection of favors, I quit wearing my sash because the pins kept getting ripped off, usually by the steering wheel when I got in the car or by one of the trees at the White Hart when I'd go through the back door.  Got the back pins of my privateer's badge nearly broke off that way as well.
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally

Lady Renee Buchanan

We don't put on our sashes until we are out of the car and in the parking lot.  And we take them off before getting in the car for the ride home.  The pins stay pretty well by doing that.
A real Surf Diva
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 

Bugsy

I just cut out a piece of denim and put bias tape around it

Sewed a piece of ribbon on the back, put 2 eyelets on the front, so we can loop it over our belts and put the ribbon through and tie it.

oh, and an iron on decal too  ;D
Elvish dragonfly
Castleteer
Bugs'n M'Crack Clan O'Maille
sister of Lady Pegos

Tim T

Here are some wee sashes I made for my kids:

The black one is the front view and they grey is what they look like from the back.  The finished size is about 11 inches long, and 3 1/2 inches wide.  They have a hidden pocket on the back that seems to usually be full of jolly ranchers and suckers.  It's about 4" deep.  They are both made of two layers of cotton twill sewn around three sides, flipped inside-out, the last side tucked inside and sewn, the whole thing ironed and stitched around the edges, and folded over and sewn to make the belt loop at the top, and the pocket at the bottom.

I do like the bias tape, though... Hmmm

I'll be making a larger version for Lady Jai before our next faire.
Tim
aka Dark'n M'Crack of Clan M'Crack/Clan White