News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Spinning - R.H. Lindsay Roving

Started by silverstah, August 29, 2008, 08:58:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverstah

http://www.rhlindsaywool.com

I've seen mixed reviews about R.H. Lindsay across the 'net, but I had nothing but positive experiences with them this week. :)

I placed an order with RH Lindsay after close of business on Monday afternoon. From reading about other people's experiences, they don't charge your card until they ship the fiber - and they also don't send out an email confirmation that your fiber has shipped, so a good way to see when you can expect your fiber is to watch your card. The charge went through on Tuesday - so I was hopeful that I'd receive my fiber in time to play with it over the long weekend. :)

I wasn't sure what I'd like best, so I ordered:

Falkland 56s Wool Top: 3 lbs.
Australian Merino 64s Top: 3 lbs.
Domestic 56s Wool Top: 2 lbs.
New Zealand Romney Top: 2 lbs.

That got me up to 10lbs to avoid the $5 processing fee. Shipping on all that was about $12 via UPS, which is about right for a 10lb box.

I received my order on Thursday, so they must have shipped it *right away*. They marked exactly what they sent (3.3lbs of the Faulkland, 3.4 of the merino, 2.0 of the domestic and 2.3 of the romney), and everything was clearly labeled and well packaged. The merino and the faulkland are both LOVELY. The domestic blend is definitely not my favorite - it's not bad, but I don't think I'll order it again. It's a little coarse for my tastes, but the fibers are nice and long. I think I'll dye it up and gift it to a friend who is learning how to spin. The Romney is nice - it has a lovely sheen to it, although it's not as soft as the merino or the faulkland.

All in all, I am VERY pleased with my order, and will definitely be ordering from them in the future.
Catarina Caravello - Mistress of the Bobbins
\"Arrrgh.  Feed Dogs.  Arrrgh.\"  -The Pirate, sewing

jcbanner

and they have nice prices too! They are selling by the pound what I've seen several sites charging for a 4 oz swatch. I know a few people that I'm sure will love this site