News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Interactive Story--The Maiden and the Mud Beggar

Started by Sir Dougie Zerts, August 31, 2008, 05:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackbead

Walter rode along, his brothers riding around him but not talking to him except to send jibes his way and tell him what a fool he had been for this misadventure.  He endured their endless harassment the way he always had: silently and stoically.  It seemed that all of his life he had either been waited upon with servile deference or made fun of with royal abuse.

He couldn't help thinking about the people he had met in his short escape into anonymity.  Starting with the vision at the signpost, she of the 'burnished sunrise'; to the family that rode together and politely snubbed him; to Calvin, who he had stood up to, though at a cost, and stopped from abusing a young girl; to that young girl herself who showed him what it was like to have fun with a friend.

"Sarafina may be the first person in my life to treat me like a human being," thought Walter.  "It felt good, too.  Even though she believed me to be a prince, she still looked me in the eyes."

The group of riders was approaching the edge of town, the gray and brown buildings giving way to green fields and open land.  Walter looked around and saw that they were coming up to the field where the jousting was to take place in a few days.  They were already setting up the ropes and rails which would define the listing field.  His mind wandered to the tournaments he had been witness to in the past.  The armored knights were so heroic on their colorfully caparisoned horses!  The fighting, with blunt weapons, of course, was still something to behold!

As the group moved on, Walter began daydreaming about being in the lists himself.  Riding along on a huge warhorse, clad in armor, he would strike down foe after foe!  Shattering lances on shields . . . which might mean being unhorsed himself!

Walter reached up and touched his bruised face.  It still hurt and the memory of receiving the blow was fresh.

"But it didn't hurt that bad," Walter thought to himself, "and in a few days the mark will be gone for good."

For some strange reason, Walter smiled.  He sat straighter and taller in the saddle as well.  A plan had begun to take shape in his mind.  It was a way of proving to his father, his brothers, and himself that he might actually be made of kingly stuff after all.  And perhaps it might just impress a particular fair maiden, too!

He knew that his father would be put in a terrible bind because of the charges against the young ruffian, Calvin.  The king could not allow a commoner to assault a member of the royal family, regardless of the circumstances.  Walter also knew that his father would be hard pressed to take action against a subject who struck Walter when he was completely oblivious to the young prince's true identity.  The townspeople would think badly of the king.  Walter knew that his father would need some way to extricate himself form the dilemma.

As they neared the castle, Walter was putting the finishing touches on a plan to make everything right – he would challenge Calvin to a trial by combat.  Not to the death but only to being unhorsed.  The challenge never could have come from Calvin; he would be asking to potentially do bodily harm to royalty.  But, if Walter challenged the young man he might be able to persuade his father to allow it.

If Calvin unhorsed Walter first then the entire incident would be considered Calvin's fault for sticking his nose in where he should have brought the Sheriff.  Calvin would be allowed to go free.  If, on the other hand, Walter unhorsed Calvin, then Calvin would be found guilty and Walter himself would be allowed to choose his punishment – and Walter already had a pretty good punishment in mind for him!

As they neared the castle, Bernard looked over and noticed that Walter had a strange look on his face – it could almost be called 'determined.'  He also saw that Walter was riding with the horse, not bobbing up and down against the horse's rhythmic stride.  Walter was sitting tall in the saddle and seemed, for the first time in his memory, at ease on horseback.  Bernard flicked his reins at Hector to get his attention and motioned with his head at Walter.

"Well, little brother," Hector said, "If nothing else, it appears that this incident has taught you how to sit a steed!"

And then, Walter did something that made his brothers look at hime with true surprise on their faces.  It was something that they had seldom, in their lives, seen Walter do.

Walter opened his mouth and laughed.
"It's not the gold that sets our sails, 'tis freedom and the promise of a better life that raises our black flags."

DonaCatalina

Calvin woke up with an aching head. At first he thought that he had passed out drunk in the barn. A sickening dizzy feeling threatened to empty his stomach as he sat upright. Then the previous days events came rushing back as he took in his surroundings. With a groan he stood up on the straw covered floor. A single narrow window let down a stream on sunlight into the middle of the cell. For a cell it obviously was. The wooden door was inset with a small iron grate with the hinges and bolts on the far side. Calvin moved over to the door and peered through the grate.

Torn with indecision about drawing attention to himself, he called out "Hello? Is anyone there?"

His timid query drew an immediate response. The sound of a wooden chair sliding across the stone floor was followed by heavy footsteps.

"Awake are you?" a rough voice said "I have some beer and stew for your breakfast. Though anyone else here would count themselves lucky to get water and bread"

Metal clanked loudly as the key was shot home in the lock. After some more thumps and bangs the door swung open. Involuntarily Calvin retreated before the apparition that appeared. Of medium height but huge in girth, the jailor would have been an unpleasant sight even to someone without a hangover. Thin greasy gray hair topped a round head that provided the foundation for the nose. A nose, which it should be noted, resembled a radish more than a human organ. His sweat stained shirt did not quite reach the top of his breeches. Lastly Calvin noticed the pitcher of beer and the bowl of stew that the jailor pushed at him.

"Take it boy" the man grumbled at Calvin "Or I shall assume that you aren't hungry".

The stew sloshed a little onto Calvin's hand as he grabbed both containers. He wiped the hot fluid hurriedly onto his pants A nearly toothless sneer cracked the old man's face in response to Calvin's plight.

As he backed out of the door, the jailor continued to grumble. "Miscreant and peasant, he should have been thrown into the lower dungeon. But his Lordly Grace expects me to wait upon a commoner". 

Calvin plucked up his courage to ask "Am I to be hanged then?"

Cackling aloud, the jailor slammed the door shut and threw the bolts. As the keys clanged in the lock again, Calvin wondered what he feared more, no answer or an affirmative answer. Then the unpleasant face appeared in the door grate.

"No yet boy" was the long delayed reply "The young Prince has asked for a trial by combat. You'll wait here while the king decides whether or not to grant the Prince's request. You have the young Prince to thank for your luxurious accommodations. He insisted that it would be unfair to defeat a man weakened by the dungeons."

Calvin could hear him chuckle as he made his way back to his station, but he said no more.  The straw seemed fairly fresh to Calvin as he sat down. It was one additional small thing to be grateful for. Thoroughly confused was his state of mind otherwise. A Prince, who would challenge a commoner to a trial by combat and give him better accommodations in prison, did not fit the shape that was in Calvin's head. After as much thought as he could stand with his aching head, Calvin decided that the pretense that he would not be hanged was some form of punishment. If he thought he had a hope of freedom, it would be that much worse when he went to the hangman. The stew was cool enough by then to drink from the bowl. Combined with the pitcher of beer, it eased his stomach and head. There was nothing else to do, so he stretched out in the straw and tried to sleep.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Alphonse

Standing in front of his father, most of the ideas that had entertained young Walter but a short time ago seemed as distant memories. "I have heard some rather strange reports concerning your absence, perhaps you might shed some much needed light on the subject", spoke the King. There was only himself and Sir Alfred at present here in the throne room, with his father the King. "I don't really know where to start", stammered the Prince, the past days activities had seemed a kaleidoscope of strange sights,smells,sounds and memories, it was almost over whelming. "Perhaps we shall start with an explanation of how you became lost" said the King."Well, my horse became spooked and reared up and threw me off, into a surprisingly deep mud hole, when I came up out of it, I caught sight of my mount running off in the distant as my page rode after it to run it down",answered Walter.

"Yes", said the King,"we are well aware of that, something that puzzled me is the clothing that you were wearing then, the reports said that you were dressed as a commoner, why was that?" "I had an idea, an epiphany I think, that the only way to truly understand the people is to spend time among them as an equal" answered the Prince. "Indeed, there is some truth to that, I wonder where you had gotten the idea from, spoke the King as he shot a glance Sir Alfred's way. "It was my own idea", answered the Prince, "anyhow after waiting a while for the page to return I decided that there was no better time to start off on my mission to learn how the people lived"."I will grant then the idea was your own,though you are not the first that the particular idea has occurred to", spoke the father. "What was it that caused this fight that I am told you had with this young man,Calvin Wilson, I believe the lads name is?" "Yes milord it is", answered Sir Alfred,"at present he is being held in the town jail awaiting your word as to his disposition"."Indeed I am well aware of that fact,speak on my son and tell me that which I have asked of you", said the King as he turned his full attention back to Walter.

"I came across him as he held down a girl, Sarafina, she was fighting to get lose from him" Walter said,"I tried to make him stop, but he wouldn't and then he turned on me." "You learned a hard lesson in that, when you stepped down from your place here in the castle,amongst the people,their values are indeed differant then our own and they are quick to violence", said the father. "I did not mean for it to come to a fight, but I just couldn't stand by and watch him harm her, I had to do something, anything, I would do it again if I had to", answered the Prince."Protecting the weak is noble and for that I am proud of you my son, we can do nothing less, regardless of the price of doing so." The King continued on, "We will hang this man for his crimes." "Please, no father!" pleaded the Prince,"instead allow me to face him at the joust." "The joust you say?" asked the King. "No, I think not, from what Sir Alfred has told me about your skill at arms, you are not ready for a joust",the King continued on,"and what purpose would that serve, vengeance? that is not the whole of doing justice." "Perhaps you are right though, I may have been hasty in my judgement, hanging may not not be the best course of action here, I must consider the matter more, before deciding what to do." "I hope that you have learned another lesson in all this my son, when you go off on your adventures, your every action has great potential to create these sorts of problems for me." "I will not stop you from this sort of exploration, but you must promice me that should you ever decide to do so again that you will take Sir Alfred with you as guide,he served me well in that when I was your age", said the King."Yes father", answered Walter."Good then," replied the King, "now go and get cleaned up before seeing your mother, I have another matter to attend."

Calvin sat starring off into space, thinking about how terribly wrong things had gone the past two days, when he heard the key in the lock. The door burst open and as it did so, he saw a blur of motion as three men rushed in the door and jumped on him. They had him down and had his hands tied behind his back before he really understood what had happened.The pulled him up and on to his feet as the jailer stood in the door way, obviously amused by it all. They led him out of the cell and up and out of the jail to the street outside where a wagon awaited them.In the back of the wagon there was a coffin and the soldiers pushed him up into the wagon and forced him to sit upon it, reaching up the jailer placed a noose around his neck. Sneering the jailer said to him,"and to think that I wasted good beer and stew on a dead man." With that the wagon began rolling, and bumping down the road, as it did so Calvins thoughts turned to memories of his rather short life. Before he knew it they were rolling into the courtyard of the castle.Once the wagon stopped the soldiers threw him down to the ground and jumped out along side him, they roughly snatched him up and dragged him into the castle. There in he was lead through halls and corridors until finally reaching the throne room. Inside a good hundred men at arms stood, each of them glaring at him, their contempt for him was plainly obvious. He was led to the foot of the throne and forced to kneel in front of the King.

"Calvin Wilson, you stand charged of not one, but three counts of assault, how do you plead?" said the King."I didn't know, he was a prince," answered Calvin weakly."Inmaterial, that has nothing to do with it", spoke the king, continuing on he said,"did you or did you not assault Serafina and Walter?" It was obvious that Calvin was shocked, his jaw worked but no sound came, after a moment he dropped his head and quietly answered, "Yes sir, I suppose I am." The king sat back on his throne, a look of relief spread across his face, "I had hoped that you would realize that", he said. "To have hanged you for assault upon the royal family,when you in fact did not know that Walter was indeed a prince would have been an injustice,we will have none of that here. "Understanding that what you have done was just as unjust as that would have been, is the first step in reforming you", spoke the King."You are a violent young man and need to learn that violence begets violence before you can learn to turn away from it." "I sentence you to five years service in the cities militia,should you regress, they are the people who will best be able to return that to you in kind, now go and start your new life", said the king. With that Calvin was led away, the only thought in the young man's head was elation that he would be permitted to live. As he left the Royal guard did so too, leaving the King to himself. He sat in quiet thought,wondering to himself what Walter's future adventures would led to and hoping that they would not lead to further drama of this sort.In spite of it all, he was proud of his son and dared to dream that perhaps he might be the one to one day become his successor.Something that his sons had yet to realize was that like his father before him,he would decide who would be the next king not by age but rather by merit.

Blackbead

Sir Alfred's cough had worsened by the time that the small group found shelter from the rain. The inn was small but neat as a pin. The innkeeper hurried out of the kitchen as his parlor filled up with dripping bodies. The smell of warm bread and roasted meat followed him through the door. The man was one of those pleasant looking fellows who had thickened somewhat when he reached middle age. Somehow he seemed appropriate for the brown brick and timber building which housed the inn. Though none of the travelers wore anything more than ordinary clothing, the quality of the cloth spoke for itself, as was evident in the innkeeper's manner when he spoke.

"You sirs and ladies will want a hot dinner on a night like this" he said genially "I have only four rooms but pallets and blankets aplenty if you gentlemen are not averse to sharing."

Walter took the lead here as he had for some days as his self-confidence had grown. "We have a sick man with us" he told the innkeeper "He needs a room and hot food immediately, and a doctor if one is about."  He paused to look at Sarafina and Edwina before he added "The two ladies can have a room, the rest of us will share the other two".

"Right away sir" answered the innkeeper "If you would be seated in the dining room through that door, I'll be about your requests".

He disappeared through the kitchen door shouting for someone named Ned. Devlin helped Sir Alfred to the seat nearest the fire. A look of concern passed between Walter and Devlin as the older man sank into the chair without protest. Not long since he would have howled in protest rather than sit in the presence of his liege. Walter took his seat at the far end, leaving the other seats nearest the fire for the girls. The two guardsmen who stood bracing the door looked exactly like what they were in spite of their lack of armor and uniforms.

The rain had continued to fall all through the afternoon.  Night had come down over the surrounding countryside with a cold mist and a biting wind.  Sir Alfred was upstairs, in one of the rooms provided by the innkeeper, covered with as many blankets as could be found.  Walter had arranged a rotation with the guardsmen to watch over the old warrior and here would be someone with Alfred at all times during their stay at the inn.

Walter had just come back downstairs from checking on his mentor; the young prince had decided that he would try and sleep for awhile in the inn's dining room.  There was a roaring fire there and plenty of benches and chairs.

As Walter took a seat near the hearth, a young woman wearing an apron approached him.  Her stature, complexion and hair color immediately identified her as a daughter, or at least a relation, of the innkeeper.  She asked if Walter wanted anything to eat or drink.  He asked for something hot to drink but couldn't find a place within his stomach for food.

Waiting for her to return, Walter sat staring into the flames. 

"How had everything gone so wrong so quickly?" he thought.  "We haven't even truly begun our journey.  First, the problems in the village about who would come with me and who could not.  Then, my own stupidity in arguing with Sir Alfred about where we would go and the ultimate reason for this trip.  Then the rain; then Sir Alfred's fall, and now this illness that has seemed to overwhelm him.  What can happen next?"

The girl brought Walter an earthen mug of hot cider with aromatic spices floating on the dollop of butter that was melting into the mixture.

"Let it sit for a moment, young master, and the butter will melt.  Stir it with this spoon and the mixture is sure to warm you to your bones!"  The poor girl could see that the young man was tired and frustrated and generally unhappy with the world so she smiled her biggest smile, then turned away to leave him to his thoughts.

Walter stirred the concoction in the mug and looked about the room.  There were several other travelers, some alone and some in twos or three, who had taken shelter from the rain and the cold.  Each table seemed like its own little world and Walter wished he could go to each table and ask them who they were and where they were from and what brought them into the wide world.  But his mood and his sense of propriety kept him seated alone, tentatively sipping the delicious, warm buttered cider.

He heard a commotion from the outer room; the banging of the door and the accompanying wind.  It was obviously someone that the innkeeper knew and knew well if the laughter and loud voices were any indication.  Within a few seconds, the innkeeper was showing a gray-clad figure into the dining room, ushering him with smiles and pats on the back to a corner of the room where Walter now noticed a small raised dais, something like a very small stage.  The innkeeper lit a torch in a wall sconce that threw some light into the corner and stepped up on the platform.

"My guests!  We are in for a rare treat this cold and ugly night!  A true friend of mine, a wandering teller of tales, a man of uncommon knowledge and insight, has chosen this very night to break the fast in our friendship and appear here for the first time in many a moon.  I present to you now, a singer of songs, a storyteller without compare, Yeogan of Beyland!"

The innkeeper began clapping his hands and there was a rustling of answering claps from the various patrons around the room.  Just then, Walter felt a hand upon his shoulder.  Looking up, he saw one of the guardsmen.  Leaning down and speaking in a soft voice that only Walter could hear the retainer said:

"He is asking for you, your Highness, and I think you'd better come quickly."
"It's not the gold that sets our sails, 'tis freedom and the promise of a better life that raises our black flags."

DonaCatalina

Rupert, the king, summoned sons before him in his private study. As they filed in their demeanor said that they thought this would be the usual role call. Slowly their father's serious expression changed their attitudes.

"I have come to a decision" Rupert began "and I believe that it will be of benefit for you all to take up a quest".

The Princes shuffled their feet and exchanged silent glances. Looking up and down the line, Rupert paused to see if any of them would comment. When none did, he cleared his throat and continued.

"You know that Walter has gone north with Sir Alfred. He insisted on accompanying the prince despite my misgivings about his age" he explained "What I now want you all to do is take a group of picked companions, no more than ten, and go your separate ways throughout the kingdom".

After this statement Rueben could no longer contain himself. "Are you sure that it is wise to send all of us away from Court?" he blurted out "What if the kingdom should be attacked?"

Rupert did not quite roll his eyes at his son. Before he answered he took at good look at the other four to see if their sympathies lay with Rueben's statement. With a shrug Rupert responded "We have been at peace with both our neighbors since my grandfather's time. For them we are either too poor a prize as well as too tough a nut to crack. Our mountains to the west and south are formidable barriers to any army from Ausastrasia, as well you know".

Rueben subsided while the others remained impassive. Their father placed his hands flat on the desk before him and continued in a level voice "You all know but do not understand that this kingdom does not necessarily go to the firstborn son". This time it was Hector who twitched visibly. Rupert waited but the prince made no comment.

"This will be my test for you all. You must not take with you any royal insignia, nor outright advertise your rank. Sufficient money and supplies will be provided to you for your journey.  None of you should return before a fortnight unless there is some calamity that befalls you" the king instructed "and with that in mind I warn you to choose your companions carefully. Are there any questions?"

The princes exchanged another round of wild-eyed looks before Hector stepped forward.
"Only one question Father" he responded "How long do we have to prepare for this quest?" A smile crept onto Rupert's face. He answered "I think a week should be sufficient. Now, send in my steward after you leave and I will give him his instructions".

The four princes bowed to their father and filed back out of the door. Their manner and bearing were very different from what it had been upon their arrival.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Alphonse

Walter entered the small room where Alfred lay upon his sick bed. The guard had warned him that the old man had been feverish and hallucinating. When he entered he could see that Alfred was sweating and wracked with coughing fits. As he caught his breath, the old man stared his way and croaked his name and motioned for him to come close.

"I am unsure how much time is left to me boy and if the hour of my passing is truly at hand, there are a few things I wish to impart to you before leaving"."Few men are truly wise enough to disearn those things which are most important in this life." "Some are wise enough to realize that the best legacy that a man can leave the world is the promice of a better future." "Your father, is fortunate enough to do this by working in stone." Alfred could read the puzzled look on Walter's face, "not literally son, your father is no stone mason, nor will he leave an elaborate grave marker with a few words of wisdom caved there on." "No, rather he makes his kingdom a better place by paying for roads and bridges to be built and wells to be dug in small villages,touching the lives of all who live there." "I am not so fortunate but do my part with words as best I can, spent in effort to teach the young the wisdom hard won by their forebears." "You no doubt felt that your father sent me along to be his spy and rein you in should you go astray but that was not my purpose." " When your father was young, like you he adventured among the people as you do for much the same reasons and though you do not yet realize it, like him you do well in that and of your brothers show the most promice in one day becoming the rightful heir to the throne." "It is for that reason alone that I accompanied you, I knew my time was short and felt that my time would best be sent working with you." "You have a good heart and do well to follow it, doing so, you will not go far astray." Walter tried to speak but could do naught but choke back a sob."Do not cry for me son", said old Alfred in a hoarse whisper,"for I go to a far better place then you can imagine, I have seen it in my dreams of late and one day as all mortals must, you will join me there." "Always remember, that I believe in you."

With that the old man fell silent, his eyes stared blankly up at the ceiling,Walter felt a chill as he imagined the passing of Alfred spirit from his old worn frame.Through his tears the young man looked upon his friend and teachers face as he reached up and brushed Alfred eyes closed.He gave himself a few moments to grieve before working to regain his composure. Rising and leaving the room he was met by a guard outside the door.He told the man,"We must make ready to leave here and return to the castle, Sir Alfred has gone."

He could see the sadness in the other man's face as he answered,"Yes milord we must return, but the hour is late and the day has been long,let me and the others tend to the body, we will make all the arrangements, but there is now no need of any rush,please take your rest and we will return home in the morning, no one will think ill of that".

"Perhaps then you are right", answered the prince, as he allowed the Sargent of the guard to lead him back to his room.The man was proud of the youth and the way he was struggling with his grief in an effort to try to do what he thought was right."Not to worry milord, old Alfred was like a father to all of us, we will do what is right and have you back home first thing in the morning, but now what you need most is some rest",he said as he led the prince to his room and opened the door.

DonaCatalina

Early the next morning Walter found the innkeeper in the tavern. The older man turned sad eyes on his guest. "My condolences on the loss of your friend" he said to Walter "Is there anything I can do for you?"

Walter nodded solemnly and replied "I need a carpenter for a casket and we will need to hire a wagon to take him home".

"There is a master carpenter in the village" the innkeeper answered "He has a shop at the east end of the village. You cannot miss the stacks of wood in front of his shop". As he scratched his chin he paused before he added "As for the wagon, begging your pardon good sir, but that might unpleasant to you."

Puzzled, Walter asked "How do you mean?"

"The only wagons you might hire around here come from the fisheries on the estuary" the innkeeper explained "They salt down the fish in barrels and ship them in their wagons. Even with the fish in barrels, the wagons smell to high heaven".

Walter's expression set in grim determination. Edwina had slipped into the room and sat quietly at the closest table. Now she spoke up while Walter contemplated his next move.

"The salt will prove useful to us" she said softly "It will take us much longer to return to the...your father if we travel by wagon, many more days in fact."

She waited while the import of her statement sunk in. After Walter's expression changed from grim to slightly ill she added "In fact, it might be better to contract with the teamsters and the fisheries to deliver Sir Alfred's body. I am sure it would not be the first time they had done such a service."

Here the innkeeper cut in and said "Your pardon good sir, I had not realized that you were from so far away but the teamsters have indeed done such service in the past. Many who come for the fishing season have families elsewhere. Most of these prefer to be buried near their families rather than here. Your good lady's advice is sound."

Walter blushed when he realized that the innkeeper assumed a relationship between Edwina and himself.  He collected himself and told them "yes, it would probably be better if we continued on horseback separate from the wagon. We could make better time on the road and give my father......and the king some warning of Alfred's demise."

"Then the gentleman was a king's man then?" asked the innkeeper "It will do my inn no harm if it becomes known that a king's man stopped here, excepting the part of his dying here." Walter ignored the self-serving portion of the statement and answered "Yes Alfred was a king's man and that is to whom he will be returned. Please find me someone to speak to the teamsters and I will go myself to arrange for a coffin."

The innkeeper bustled out of the room and threw back "right away sir" almost as an afterthought.

Walter looked at Edwina with new eyes then. "You are usually so quiet" he said to her "But I am glad you spoke up this morning. You probably saved us a lot of trouble."

Letting a half-smile show, Edwina answered "I suppose, Milord, that you have not noticed that it is hard for anyone to get a word in edgewise around Sarafina." The genuine laugh that Walter let out startled himself as much as Edwina. "You are correct about Sarafina" he told her "Even though I never quite thought of it that way."
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Blackbead

Making preparations for the return trip had taken much longer than all had originally thought and the party realized that they would have to spend one more night at the inn.  That night, Walter lay in his bed, wide awake, as the night wore on.  His plans of going into the world, to come to know the world, had been prematurely shattered by the sudden death and the agonizing grief that accompanied this sad event.  His heart and mind told him that he should return to the castle with his mentor's body and put an end to this quest for knowledge.  But his gut, his essence, told him that he could not turn back now.
   But how would that look to his father, the king?
   So much planning had gone into this trip!  So much subterfuge which had allowed Walter to slip his friends away from their daily lives and into an incognito party, spirited away from all that they knew, their home, their village, into a world where Walter was not known by sight and his friends were complete strangers.  To turn back now might mean that this trip would become an opportunity missed and never to be undertaken again.
   Suddenly, Walter knew what he must do.
   In the next hour, doors creaked open, whispered conversations occurred, stealthy steps moved down hallways in the dark.  Scratching away with a quill by candlelight, Walter smiled – he knew that his old mentor would approve and with the note he was writing he was letting his father, and the world, know that he was now on a path to become his own man.

The sun rose over a new day – the rain and wind had gone their own ways and even the chill of dawn seemed, not raw, but crisp and clean.  The leader of the guardsmen assigned to this trip made his way to Walter's room.  His task was a grim one: his men had stood guard over Sir Alfred's body after cleaning him and preparing the corpse for travel.  One of the guard had been sent back to the castle with the news and that left fewer hands to do all that was necessary.  And no one to watch over the prince and his friends.
   As he tapped on the door of the room, the guardsman opened the door and softly spoke:  "Your Highness, I am sorry to disturb you but the day is . . ."
   He stopped suddenly.  The room was empty.  Even the prince's things were gone.  Rushing back into the hallway, the guardsman dashed from room to room and found that all of the prince's friends were missing as well.
   Just as he stepped out of the last room into the hall intent on heading to the dining room to see if maybe his young charges had already gone down to break their fast, one of the other guards burst from the top of the stairs.
   "Sir!  Sir, we've been robbed!  Four of the horses are missing from the stable as are two of the pack animals!"
   The man stammered on but the captain walked back into Walter's room, a strange look playing across his face.  As he strode into the prince's room, glancing about, he spied what he expected: a sheet of paper that had been rolled into a scroll.  And written on the outside of the scroll one word: "Father."
   "He was right," said the captain, "Sir Alfred was right, Henry.  As he lay dying, he mumbled something about the prince never turning back.  I thought he meant . . . well, it doesn't matter what I thought.  We've got to get them back.  Get everybody up!  I want to know if anyone here saw them as they left!" 

Alphonse

As the sun rose,Walter passed along the road out of the village with Edwina and her brother Devlin riding along side.The bright early morning sunshine both warmed him and seemed to lift his spirits.The plan such as it was, was to ride to Edwina's home,where her parents had agreed to allow Walter to stay for a time. They understood that his true identity would need to remain a secret even if they didn't fully understand his purpose for that.He couldn't say that he blamed them in that, he wasn't completely sure of it himself.He had a vague notion that he craved some adventure but there was more to it then simply that. From the hints dropped by both his father and Alfred, there were things that he needed to learn along the way but exactly what those things were to be, he had no clue.

The land to the west, the direction in which they rode, gradually rose towards some mountains in the distance. It was on one of those mountain that Edwina and Devlin's family made their home.The Taylor's had a small farm there,out in the country where they raised sheep and spun wool, they traveled the long distance twice a year to Beade because they had family there and the woolen goods that Edwina's mother made, brought much better prices then they did in the villages closer to home.Their father spent what free time he had making fiddles, he wasn't much of a musician though he did play some,his true talent lay in creating excellent instruments.He sawed his own lumber and was meticulous in using only the very best of it for his instruments, the vast majority of it being judged unsuitable was used instead to make cabinets,ornate boxes and picture frames.

"How much longer do you think we will need to ride before we arrive?" Walter asked Devlin.It was Devlin's first time to have ridden out this far without his father but he didn't let on to it.

"What say you sister? I would figure at least seven or eight hours", said young Devlin.

"Oh, at least that much I think, if not more, I would say that we will likely arrive by mid afternoon, if we do not tarry overly with breaks", replied Edwina.

"Breaks?" asked the youth. "Who needs breaks?" he said with a laugh,"not I."

"Well, I for one, have no intention of riding while I eat my lunch", answered Edwina.

"Nor I", added Walter. "Besides I would like to see closer some of the country we intend to ride over, so long as we make it in before dark, what would it hurt?"

"Oh boy!" exclaimed Delvin,"I can see where this is leading." "You two will piddle about and have us getting in after dark, then there will be hell to pay by Momma." "I for one do not intend to get into that sort of trouble".With that he gave his horse a good kick and darted out ahead of the others. Shouting over his shoulder he said,"we best pick up the pace then", as he rode on ahead.

"Children", Edwina said about her brother barely a year younger, as she shook her head. "Any excuse to ride at a gallop, we best keep him within our sight", as she rode off after him with Walter joining in the pursuit.

DonaCatalina

Devlin had stopped at the edge of a shallow creek when his companions finally caught up with him. His mount lifted his head from the water at their approach.

"Did you really think I would ride off and leave you?" Devlin grinned mischievously.

Both girls gave him the cold shoulder after they dismounted. Their horses quickly joined Devlin's in drinking from the creek. Walter sat his horse for a moment and looked over the group.

"Actually" he stated "your sister was more convinced you would disappear than anyone else was"

He swung down from the saddle and led his horse to join the others. From his saddlebags he pulled a cloth wrapped loaf of bread and cheese along with his water bottle. Using these to gesture to the others Walter commented "We had better eat quickly. Since we do not know exactly how far we still have to travel I would rather not dally here long."

With a quick glance at the sun's location, they each secured their horses before they brought food out of their saddlebags. On drier ground a short distance away from the creek they sat down to eat.

Between bites Edwina commented "It's a good thing it didn't rain this morning or we would have to eat standing up to stay out of wet grass." The others nodded vigorously in agreement. Then they all looked up in response to the thunder of hoof beats. Three strange men on ill-fed mounts pounded over the grassy knoll towards them. Walter leapt to his feet and lunged for his sword, his last bites of lunch falling unheeded to the ground. Devlin followed suit almost as quickly.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Alphonse

The first rider came in low in the saddle, a spear couched much like a lance, straight at Walter. He was able to side step the attack and in so doing batted away the spear with his sword, causing the rider to drop it. The second rider was but a half heartbeat behind the first and he swung his sword in a blur which sent Devlin down, the boy bounded right back up, though blood ran down the side of his face from a nasty wound to his ear.As he went down his sword struck the riders horse on a rear leg and wounded it badly enough, that the horse stopped a dozen pace past the group where the first rider elected to turn around for a second pass. It stood on three legs holding the wounded leg up and refused to go on.The last rider follwed behind the second and wielded a club he swung at Edwina, but was wide and missed as he rode past. Serafina threw a rock the size of her fist at him, catching him in the back of his head. While he wore a leather jerkin, his head was unarmoured and the blow from the rock knocked him out of the saddle and at the feet of the other two riders.

The second rider jumped down off his horse and took a look at his horse's wound. He spun around with a snarl and yelled,"that horse cost me a small fortune in gold, you'll pay for that. I am killing the whole lot of you."

The first rider said,"shut up Earl and help Ned." As he slid down off his horse and took up a defensive stance.

"Well, I am damn it",  said Earl as he did as he was told, reaching down and trying to steady Ned enough for the man to regain his feet.

"I know you will Earl", answered the first rider,"but there is no sense in wasting breath on telling it when the deed is yet undone and we have a man down."

Edwina stepped over to Devlin to look at his ear, it looked bad, with allot of blood but appeared the ear was still attached, she quickly took a scarf that she had tied around her neck and bound the wound as best she could while Walter stood his ground in front of them, sword at the ready.Serafina darted around looking for another suitable missile.

Try as he might Earl couldn't get Ned up well enough to stand on his own, the man swaggered and swayed like a drunkard.Finally he helped him up on to his horse. As he did so he turned back to the troublesome children, a grin on his ugly face at the thought of how he intended to kill the girls, suddenly a rock smashed into his mouth and dropped him to one knee, thrown by Serafina, who was now armed with the dropped spear.Raising up he spit out a tooth and a mouthful of blood as he howled and lunged forward,the first rider grabbed him by the shoulder and yanked him back in an effort to stop his attack,"saddle up behind Ned,Earl, we are leaving", as he hopped back up and on to his own horse.

"No!, roared Earl, I am making them pay for what they have done."

"Then you'll do it alone", said the first rider as he wheeled his horse around and began to ride off.

Looking back at the group he helped attack and then at the rider leaving,Earl gave a second howl of anger as he swung up behind Ned on the horse. He shook his fist at them and screamed,"you'll pay! I will not rest until I have killed every last one of you vermin!" and with that he spit another mouthful of blood in their direction before he wheeled his horse around and rode off with Ned, leaving his wounded mount behind. Almost as fast as they had appeared they were gone again riding off into the distance.

DonaCatalina

As the bandits disappeared over the grassy hill, Walter lowered his sword with an arm that had turned to jelly. Edwina was winding a linen bandage around her brother's head. Walter walked unsteadily over to the wounded horse. It snorted and rolled its eyes at the prince's approach. But Walter managed to get close enough to grab the loose reins. He bent over to examine the horse's leg. The stab wound was fairly deep but the horse would probably recover. The sound of more hoof beats drew the group sharply to attention. Then they relaxed when the two guardsmen and the guard captain came trotting up the road on lathered horses.

"Your highness" the captain said with a curt nod towards Devlin "it appears that we have not arrived in the nick of time."

It suddenly occurred to Walter that the bandits had attacked them on impulse. The wide open space in which they stood was hardly the best place for an ambush.

"I will agree that it was unwise of us to leave you behind" Walter replied curtly "I see now that our numbers were too few to discourage robbery." Then he made a gesture that took in the open pasturage and continued "But you must agree that this is an unlikely place to catch someone unawares.

The captain glanced over to the wounded horse with its bloody leg. "It appears you did manage to scotch the outlaws' plans" the captain said "Would you agree with me that they will probably come back in greater numbers?"

"Very well Captain Naives" Walter sighed "It seems we must take a different path to our destination. What do you suggest?"

The two girls stepped forward and said, almost in unison "We could follow the creek."

Sarafina laughed aloud and added "The road goes directly to the farm. But the creek goes to a fall and small pond that is only a little east of the farm.. The women use it for laundry and we swam in it last summer."

The captain raised an eyebrow to question this suggestion. Seeing his dubious expression Edwina explained "The creek and the pond are screened from sight by thick brush once it goes downhill from here. No one would see us if we walked the horses down the center of the creek."

With a snort of amusement Walter announced "That sounds good to me. Let's get on with it."

Devlin removed the saddle and bridle from the wounded horse and left it beside the creek. He felt bad for the poor animal, but they couldn't take it with them. Captain Naives took the lead as they road single file into the creek bed. The pea-gravel bottom would have been hard on bare feet but presented no impediment to the horses. Walter, Devlin and the two guardsmen each led a pack mule.

It was not long before the creek turned downhill and the surrounding brush grew thicker. They turned a bend and the creek widened out under a cathedral canopy of green. A grassy hillock in the center of the stream bore evidence of an encampment. Devlin slid from his horse and poked at the remains of a campfire.

Looking up at Walter he said "This is several days old. The ashes are mixed with dried mud."

Walter let out his breath that he had not realized he had been holding. With Devlin remounted, they continued their journey. Quite a bit further along, creek narrowed and the trees closed in on them. Their passage startled birds from the trees in small bursts. Suddenly Captain Naives held up his hand for them to stop. Walter leaned to his right to see around the captain.

An old man in leather trousers and a ragged cloth shirt walked towards them in the center of the creek. On his shoulder was a leather wrapped bundle.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Alphonse

"Hold there old man", called the Captain. The old man looked up obviously startled by meeting anyone along the creek, much less so large a party. He raised his free hand and stopped, then spoke,"easy Mi lord, I am not armed and am no threat to anyone, much less any of the King's men."

"What are you about, walking down this creek as you are?" asked the Captain.

"I suspect that my reason is much the same as yours, I had heard there are a band of bandits abroad in these lands, I am passing through here trying to make my way down to the sea, answered the old man. I thought that I might find work aboard a passing ship or barring that find a fisherman that needed some help in town."

"Indeed, there was an attack by bandits down stream where the road crosses the creek, said the Captain. I'd be on my guard passing through there and wouldn't tarry near that place, we expect them to return there before long."

"Thank you good sir, I will take well your warning to heart and if you have nothing further to ask of me will be on my way then," replied the old man.

"Fair the well", answered the Captain as he lead the party past the old man, while he stepped on up on the bank to make way for the party as they traveled past him up the creek.

DonaCatalina

As true as Sarafina had said, the creek started downhill in a series of lazy S-curves. The slope was just steep enough to require the riders to pay strict attention to their mounts. Occasionally they traded off the pack mules to give each other a bit of a rest. Some fifteen miles past the ambush site, the creek's descent became much steeper.

"Milord" the captain said "I fear we must leave the creek here for dry ground. If this gets any steeper our horses will slip on the wet gravel."

Walter was a bit out of breath after a particularly tight turn. The creek had cut deeply into the western bank as it wound its way downhill. On the eastern side the edge of the river was only a half step up from the creek bed. Walter looked up at the left bank as it towered over his head. He nodded and answered the captain "I agree with that. But we will have to take the easterly bank which will add some distance to our journey." Edwina was the closest to Walter and so was the first to hear of this change in plans. "It is no matter" she spoke up "The robbers that we chased off were following the west side of the creek where the road runs. On the east bank we are less likely to see them again. We should be no more than thirty miles or so from the farm."

"She does have a valid point" Walter stated. Once again he felt some slight surprise that Edwina had spoken up so firmly. She had hardly spoken during most of their journey.

"Very well milord" Captain Naives voice cut through Walter's thoughts "The east bank it is."

He kneed his horse towards the right without waiting. Walter and Edwina followed immediately with the rest not far behind. The trees gradually thinned out as they got further from the creek. Open green grassland of gentle hills threaded with strings of darker green brush beckoned them forward. Walter reined in his horse sharply at the tree line.

"Look!" he called as he pointed backwards towards the southeast "Do you see that?" Six pairs of eyes followed the direction of his gesture. A column of whitish gray smoke rose in the distance. Devlin reined in beside Walter and squinted hard at the sight.

"That has to be close to the bridge where the main road crosses the creek." He told Walter in a daunted voice "Do you suppose it is the work of those same bandits?"

The prince replied through gritted teeth "Very likely it is." His frustration at that thought was evident in the way that he turned his horse's head south and kicked him into a trot through the trees.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Alphonse

After a long days ride, the group finally made it to the Taylor's humble farmstead. A good forty acres of pasture and field surrounded the house, barn and out buildings, to the west of the building lay a small but mature orchard. As they rode up the lane to the house, in the distance they could see Edwina's and Devilin's father cutting hay and near the house the mother carried a basket of wash out to hang out on the line round back. As they rode up to the house their father finished his cutting and climbed up into the wagon and headed across the field to meet them at the house.As they crossed the yard heading towards the barn, the girls waved to the mother as she smiled and waved back. When she caught sight of Devlin with his bandaged and blood on his shirt, she dropped the basket and ran to him."Devlin, what have you done to yourself?" she exclaimed breathlessly.

"We were attacked by bandits on the road near the old bridge, one of them nearly took off my ear, momma", he replied.

A look of horror flashed across her face as she said,"you could have been killed!"

The captain said,"they gave better then they got my lady, wounding two of their number and drove them off as we approached. We had been detained in town by the death of Prince Walter guardian. The old gent passed away due to old age and illness."

"And you are?" asked the mother as the father approached in the wagon.

"Captain Victor Navies of the King's own household guard, answered the soldier as he dismounted and made a bow,happily at your service, my good lady."

"Um, will you gentlemen be staying as well", she asked.

"Yes we will, we are tasked to provide the Prince's escort", answered the Captain.

"Not to worry my lady, spoke the young Prince,these men have their own rations and would be more then happy to stay the night in the barn, they do not want to be any more problem to you then necessary and will be riding back to town in the morning, isn't that right Captain Navies?"

"As you bid, Prince Walter", came the Captain's reply.

"Well let's get you inside and have a look at that ear, young man" said Devin's mother to him.

The father said,"right then if you gents will follow me, we will get these horses out to the barn and look after them before supper. I helped the wife with her cooking today, there's more then enough to feed us all,and rations or not  I bet that you could do with a hot meal at the end of a long days riding."