News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Need help choosing machine embroidery thread

Started by Lorraine, September 10, 2008, 03:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lorraine

My boyfriend just bought me a singer CE-150 for my birthday. I was looking at the Sulky thread packages that Joann's has and they seem terribly expensive. I've found some cheaper rayon thread at http://www.threadart.com/shop/category.asp?catid=122 but since I'm new to this I have no idea on the quality. If anyone has a good, cheap source for thread I would love to know it. Thanks

Kate XXXXXX

Embroidery thread is like other threads: worth buying the good stuff!  However, you may find a better deal here than on the high street: http://www.redrockthreads.com/

I have bought from them (YLI 100 weight silk), and they were fast and efficient, even here to the UK.   ;D

Lorraine

My machine manual says to use polyester thread. I was looking at that site you linked and Floriani polyester looks good. I also found another brand online named Threadelights thats pretty low priced, has anyone ever used that?

Cilean

Always go for quality, it will help you every time.  Just as cheap (not inexpensive but cheaply made) fabric could cause you issues, dyefastness, unraveling added mystery fibers etc.  So too will thread, some of the threads who are made cheaply are bits and pieces of thread that have been heat treated or glued together to form a long strand then dyed.....it will break or warp easily which is not something you want to have happen when you are stitching out.  You want something in the 30 weight category and you can use 40 weight for t-shirt like things.

So I look for sales on thread and I get;

Mettler is one that I suggest as it has a low rate of 'fuzz' that comes from stitching out.  Mettler has something called Silk finished cotton that is awesome to sew with or use as embroidery.  They also have Linen and Silk as well as Bobbin thread for your embroidery machine.

Tire Thread if I am making Blackwork I use the 50 weight it works well in my machine.

YLI silk if I cant get the Tire thread? I go with YLI at 40 weight the silk is awesome on silk, and I am working on some gloves so hopefully I will be able to showcase the end product.

Robison Anton Thread is what people who are professional use as their go to thread, the 3 spools I have worked with in the past seemed to be brittle this could be because the thread is old, or that it was not wound properly.  I have not had the chance to pick up more spools to see if it was just me.

Sulky- I use this as a last resort, I always have to adjust my stitch speed to slow due to snapping threads.  Again this is something that happens with my machine so it might not happen with you. 

I hope that helps!

Cilean

Lady Cilean Stirling
"Looking Good is not an Option, It is a Necessity"
My Motto? Never Pay Retail