News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

TV110 Corset

Started by LadyStitch, April 03, 2015, 03:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyStitch

As part of a special project I am working on I am making Truly Victorian 110.  To get the look I want this is the necessary underpinning.
I have been spining my wheels for a couple weeks on this.  I made a muslin mock up of the corset.  It had between 4-6 inches gap in the back.  Is that too much ?  Should I go bigger?
I was told to make a 'mock' corset out of canvas before I make my real one.  Considering I'm making the 'mock up' out of the same fabric as the final product that seems counter intuitive.  Honestly  I'm not not trusting myself on this and everywhere I ask for  advise I get conflicting suggestions. If I can't get the corset to work right the dress is not going to fit right.  I have everything to start on the dress but but don't want to start with out the corset being wearable.  :'(
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

isabelladangelo

4" is normal with a Victorian corset - particularly a late Victorian like TV110.  Are you making a bustle gown?

Basically, you want to make the canvas mock up with channels for boning to make sure the final product will fit.  The mock up should be messy - no finished edges.  The reason is because you need to make sure it's comfortable for you and hits you at your waist.  The front needs to be somewhat flexible to accommodate the curve of the bust. 

LadyStitch

Yes a bustled gown.  Ultimately I want to use it with some steam punk, and some more fantasy style faire garb.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Knowing the correct size to make is take your waist measurement, then subtract 4 inches from that. That should give you n idea of what size Corset to make.

I have ordered Victorian Corsets online using that formula and they have fit me well. Even with a Modesty panel, when laced up, they are very comfortable. The idea is on a narrower waist, emphasizing a fuller bust and hips.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

The corset I am wearing in the following photos is one I ordered from a company in London, England called Corset Story. The design is  like the TV110. he lacing in the back is the same as in the TV pattern. The boning is steel for a smoother shape overall as well as fit. I have worn this corset several times already for many hours and felt great.

For Victorian corsets to be worn as an Under or over garment, use steel boning. The corset will last and wear longer. then Underskirt is TV221. The Apron/Draped Overskirt  is TV324. The Bolero is from the SIMPLICITY Steampunk pattern with the Underbust Corset.

Lady Renee Buchanan

Somehow, I got a website for Corset Deal on FB.  They are having a huge sale, lots of steel boned corsets are $27.  There's steampunk, waist slimming, brocade, etc.  might be worth a look.

www.corsetdeal.com
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Dinobabe

Quote from: Lady Kathleen of Olmsted on April 04, 2015, 09:59:46 AM
Knowing the correct size to make is take your waist measurement, then subtract 4 inches from that. That should give you n idea of what size Corset to make.

I have ordered Victorian Corsets online using that formula and they have fit me well. Even with a Modesty panel, when laced up, they are very comfortable. The idea is on a narrower waist, emphasizing a fuller bust and hips.

Lady Kathleen, my natural waist is VERY high with wide hips; I have an hourglass shape.  Do you think this same method would work for me?
Thank you!
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

mollymishap

LadyStitch, did you read the reviews & comments for this pattern at patternreview.com?  You can find them here:  http://sewing.patternreview.com/Patterns/14587  Maybe that will help you out.   I have a few tv patterns, though not this particular one, so I can't comment specifically, but like others have said, a few inches gap in the back opening should be fine.  HTH!

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Quote from: Dinobabe on April 06, 2015, 10:22:35 AM
Quote from: Lady Kathleen of Olmsted on April 04, 2015, 09:59:46 AM

Lady Kathleen, my natural waist is VERY high with wide hips; I have an hourglass shape.  Do you
think this same method would work for me?

Thank you!

It should.

LadyStitch

Quote from: mollymishap on April 06, 2015, 12:58:41 PM
LadyStitch, did you read the reviews & comments for this pattern at patternreview.com?  You can find them here:  http://sewing.patternreview.com/Patterns/14587  Maybe that will help you out.   I have a few tv patterns, though not this particular one, so I can't comment specifically, but like others have said, a few inches gap in the back opening should be fine.  HTH!

I have looked at them and I may just jump in feet first.  They say to measure per the pattern and when in doubt go up a size, which I did. I"ll just have to learn to swim like one of the girls did.  She made the wrong size so just made a second one.  Got to learn somehow.