News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

When it rains (like this Saturday)

Started by Dallan, September 04, 2008, 12:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dallan

There's a chance we can make it back this Saturday. It's only a slight chance and it depends on if it rains hard enough which the weather looks like it might. I know that I've read on the old forum site how much fun people have when it rains because it keeps the crowds down but my question is if it's raining really hard where do you go for cover? I don't mind standing around in drizzle (as long as I have a libation) but we may get hit with what's left of a hurricane so I expect the rain to be pretty hard.
Fight'n

Scotsman

Bring it on I say ... the harder the rain the better the fun!
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

analise

Well, most of the pubs are more or less covered. And then there's all the shops. And the trees. And with less people showing up because of the rain, there's probably actually room to stand under that cover.

I'd be more worried about boggy pits of mud.

Lumpy

Rain days are some of my favorites. Since the crowds are smaller it is much easier to get into the booths. It also opens up the possibility of me making a purchase I might not have made otherwise.
Founder, MDRF Friends of Faire
Dread Pirate Lumpy
Lump'n M'Crack

Lady_Glorianna

There is also the chance to see "up close & personal" performances especially at the globe. When the crowds are small enough and pouring, they might be called upon to come up to the stage and be serenated or witness a play right in front of you. ;)
Lady Elizabeth Poyntz
Ynez de Leon
Catherine of Austria, Queen consort of Portugal
Molly Blair

Sir Dante

Saturday looks good to go up to Pittsburgh. (T-storms 30% chance of precipitation) back to Maryland on sunday
Occasionally Deaf And Sometimes Pretty Dumb

Scotsman

Quote from: Sir Dante on September 05, 2008, 04:35:03 AM
Saturday looks good to go up to Pittsburgh. (T-storms 30% chance of precipitation) back to Maryland on sunday

Good to see you among us cousin ... you make such rare appearances! Does that mean you are indeed going to PRF this weekend?
Kilted Rogue #1411
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56

Scotsman

BTW ... Lady Guinness and I will be late to faire on Saturday ... if we come at all. Our son Ashton "the trash rat" will be joining the Army tomorrow so we are sticking close to him for support. He should be done with all his stuff around noonish so we may head to the shire ... we are just not sure at this point.
Kilted Rogue #1411
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56

Master James

If it were just rain, I wouldn't care and would be there for sure.  However they predicting 40MPH+ sustained winds with gusts over 60MPH plus lightening.  Not sure I'm up for that but my kilt sure would have and I don't want to scare people!  LOL  So unless something changes drastically between tonight and tomorrow I won't be there until Sunday.

Scotsman - Good for him and I know he needs your support so you stay with him if he needs you.  We can see you on Sunday.  So does that mean he's leaving right now or just signing up to leave later?
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

Scotsman

Quote from: Master James on September 05, 2008, 09:37:40 AM
Scotsman - Good for him and I know he needs your support so you stay with him if he needs you.  We can see you on Sunday.  So does that mean he's leaving right now or just signing up to leave later?

He will sign up tomorrow for a later depart date ... I will know more tomorrow PM. Thanks for the support.
Kilted Rogue #1411
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56

will paisley

Quote from: Dallan on September 04, 2008, 12:51:35 PM
There's a chance we can make it back this Saturday. It's only a slight chance and it depends on if it rains hard enough which the weather looks like it might. I know that I've read on the old forum site how much fun people have when it rains because it keeps the crowds down but my question is if it's raining really hard where do you go for cover? I don't mind standing around in drizzle (as long as I have a libation) but we may get hit with what's left of a hurricane so I expect the rain to be pretty hard.

As has been mentioned previously, head to a pub with some cover, then watch one of the "up close and personal" performances Lady Glorianna referenced.  Performers aren't thrilled about getting wet, and they're even less thrilled about getting wet while performing for nobody because they all went someplace else to stay dry.  Some of the best performances I've ever experienced at the White Hart was when the performers came under the cover with the audience and performed there.
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally

Lumpy

It turned out to be a beautiful day on Saturday. Hannah drenched us early in the day but the 300 or so that turned out were treated to fantastic ending. The rain had all but stopped by 1 and by 3 the sun was shinning. It is a shame that more folks didn't turn up as the vendors, performers and even the festival itself  didn't really make any money. It was good to see the folks who did show up and it seemed like since they had to be there many working appreciated those that made it.
Founder, MDRF Friends of Faire
Dread Pirate Lumpy
Lump'n M'Crack

Lupa

Goddess of the Grove
DoRT
MDRF FoF Charter Member
IWG #3576
IFoRP #1360
FOKTOP Inquisitor
Cheer'n M'Crack