News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Thank You

Started by Marilou, October 02, 2008, 08:21:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marilou

Perhaps this post should be in a "season come and gone" type place, but I wouldn't want any to be left out by missing it.

Thank you all for such wonderful weekends!

I don't have a comparable as I have only been to PRF (I don't travel well any longer) but from what I have experienced over two seasons at PRF I don't feel a need. Ya'll are so very good at providing the fantasy and entertainment, the interaction with us mundanes and such great shopping while making us feel welcomed into your shire. I won't, can't, name everyone since I can't think of a single person I'd leave off my "You are awesome" list.

Eleven months of movies, books and music to tide me over. <sigh> As a sidenote to Terry Griffith; I'm so glad I chose the CD with just you and a guitar. Beautiful! But, oh! Can anyone refer me to online directions for wrapping a great kilt for the female?? Might as well wear it when the hubby isn't, lol.   

jayadancer

I see no one is answering your question about how to wrap a female great kilt.  It's a bit of a costuming debate-- maybe no one wants to step into that minefield? Chickens!   ;D

I would say that the generally accepted historical costuming rule is that females don't wear kilts, they wear kilted skirts.  So there is not technically a "correct" way to wrap a female great kilt because there *isn't* technically a female great kilt!

I'm not sure if maybe you knew that and were asking how women who wear the ankle- or ground- length wrapped plaids are doing it, or whether you didn't know that and were asking for an actual female way.  If you can tell me that, I can point you in the right direction!
~The Mystic Deliria, The Madness Amorous~

anne of oaktower

Hi Marilou.  The link below will open a pdf document that explains how a woman would wear the tartan.  Jaya is right...it's not actually worn as a kilt, but more of an overskirt/cloak combination.  Of course, none of us here are garb-snarks, so you can wear it pretty much any way you want. 

http://www.kilts-n-stuff.com/Documents/earasaid.pdf
aka: Oak-hearted Annie / Anne of Oak Barrel / Barefoot Annie

"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

jayadancer

I'm not an authenticity Nazi myself (obviously, if you've seen me at the fest!) I just come from the land of S.C.A. and it's been beaten into me that you should preface everything with some "accuracy disclaimer."   So smack me on the nose with a newspaper if I ever accidentally leave anyone with the impression that I'm garb-snarky... I dinna mean to leave that impression as it's no the case!  I just thought you may want to know why you were having trouble finding the information that you sought.

Yeah, I'd be one of the girls who sometimes bellydances in a combination of harem pants and a kilt, so I'm all about a little creative costuming!  And yours was at least in the ballpark.  Ours isn't even in the league!   :D

anne of oaktower

Quote from: jayadancer on October 20, 2008, 03:10:13 PM
I'm not an authenticity Nazi myself (obviously, if you've seen me at the fest!) I just come from the land of S.C.A. and it's been beaten into me that you should preface everything with some "accuracy disclaimer."   So smack me on the nose with a newspaper if I ever accidentally leave anyone with the impression that I'm garb-snarky... I dinna mean to leave that impression as it's no the case!  I just thought you may want to know why you were having trouble finding the information that you sought.

Goodness, Jaya...I didn't think you were being snarky at all!  You gave really good information  :)

QuoteYeah, I'd be one of the girls who sometimes bellydances in a combination of harem pants and a kilt, so I'm all about a little creative costuming!  And yours was at least in the ballpark.  Ours isn't even in the league!   :D

You and your "sisters" always look great!  Hopefully one of these days I can find some time for a few dance lessons from you ladies.
aka: Oak-hearted Annie / Anne of Oak Barrel / Barefoot Annie

"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

jayadancer

Come find us any time, fest or not-- it would be an honour to trade shimmies with The Royal Protectress Of Chipmunks!