News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Adult Faire?

Started by Captain Cornelius Howard Duckman, September 07, 2008, 11:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Cornelius Howard Duckman

So, in our spare time, me and some friends were talking about making an Adults Only Faire (21+) Now, right now, it's just a lot of hot air and talk, but I figured I'd pop in here and see what advice you lot might have for such a thing. Anything at all is welcome, positive or negative.

robert of armstrong

I think that it depends on your intentions.  Are you talking about an "Adults Only Faire" in the same connotation as an Adult Video Store?  Or are you just looking at a Faire for that doesn't have kids running around?

I think you need to clarify your intent.
Always on the lookout for my next noble cause.

And because a flail don't need reloading, that's why.

chainshot

Hi there,
  Here in Northern California, I remember attending faire before the movement to make things "family friendly" and I would welcome it again.  Heck if my home faire would maybe set aside a couple of weekends for "adults only" for during the normal season I know quite a few people that would be thrilled!  Ah well, I guess a fella can still dream.   :)

Cyron

well sealclubber i like the idea depending on the overall direction, ie: not a nudist colony running around. lol. but i have a friend in virgina area that has been contemplating that for a while and i remember all of my friends down there talking about that back at the end of 2003.
I'm walking in a dream half the time, and sleeping through reality the other half.
Warning: Have camera, WILL Shoot!!

maelstrom0370

I'm gonna guess you're talking about turning the bawdiness of the acts and cast up a notch or two...or five? ("It goes up to 11")
If that's the case, then sure.  I think an existing Faire with an adult weekend or two would do better financially than a completely adult Faire.
Someone else brought up an Adult Bookstore.  I'm bettin' "Ankles" would be a pretty popular magazine at a Ren-themed version!  :o ::) :P

Captain Jack Wolfe

"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Dallan

It's an interesting concept. Our kids love faire and we usually take them. We try and go once or twice a year without them because it frees us up to spend more time in the pub socializing and watching the more bawdy acts. All in all I probably wouldn't attend an "adult only" faire on a regular basis. Our kids love faire way too much and it is a great family event. There aren't too many other things that entertains the entire family equally for 8 hours.
Fight'n

Lady Amy of York

Quote from: Dallan on September 08, 2008, 10:02:45 AM
It's an interesting concept. Our kids love faire and we usually take them. We try and go once or twice a year without them because it frees us up to spend more time in the pub socializing and watching the more bawdy acts. All in all I probably wouldn't attend an "adult only" faire on a regular basis. Our kids love faire way too much and it is a great family event. There aren't too many other things that entertains the entire family equally for 8 hours.

I have to agree with you there sir.  Although i enjoy  doing things with my husband, without my son  along,   we miss when he is not with us.  He is part of the family, and my husband  and I love seeing things  though the eyes of  a child.    There is something magical  and  innoccent about it.
Plus it is true there are not too many places out there anymore  that entertain a whole family  for  8 hours  unless you what to  dish out a 100 bucks or so to go to an amusement park  or Disneyland.
  Plus the enviroment at the faire  is one that you don't mine having kids around.    It beats what they see on Tv, or playing video games etc.   There is  a sense of chivalry  and  respect, and well being which is  good  for a kid  to see.

So i would say it would not be bad having a couple of " Adult" only weekends, but don't take away the family part all together.

Like Mad Jack  Wolfe mentioned, there is   The  Wicked Winter  Renaissance  faire in  New Jersey.   It is an adult only faire. It takes places indoors  . 

of course, now as i reread this, there are the kids who run around faire out of control, and  drive us patrons   crazy. But in that case I blame  the parents,  not the kids, and wonder if it was an adult only weekend if they would act up like their  kids  or worse   !  Not that adults are not suppose to have fun , but you know what i mean. I mean the unruley, loud, obnoxious  type .

anyway i it is not a bad idea.  Maybe have  a weekend that is adult only,   and then have a weekend that is  kids or family weekend .

Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

Dayna

One weekend at an established faire designated as Adult Only would be great!  Not that the bawdiness factor would go up, although it might, but more as a respite from the hordes of undisciplined rugrats running about unsupervised or barely better poorly supervised.  It would be wonderful to have a weekend where I didn't have to deal with children trying to grab Nixie, or parents who call me rude because I won't let their children pet her.  There are some children who are an absolute joy, and I do my best to tell the parents that I appreciate the way they are raising their kids, but having one weekend where I didn't have to deal with either would be lovely.

Dayna
Dayna Thomas
Nixie's Mom
Bristol FoF Hench
Education Goddess...yeah, right
FoF Merchant Liason/Merchandizing Maven

PurpleDragon

I believe that Serendipity Haven in Texas is planning to have their final weekend (Pirate Weekend) as an "Adults Only" weekend. 
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

Adriana Rose

As a vendor I kinda depend on the kids that come to fair, and I know that there is a bunch of other vendors that also need the little ones to make thier living,

But if you were to have a fair that is strictly for adults it would be fun.

Noble Dreg

Much simpler and better economy to create an "adults only" garden or wing of an existing fair.  This is a common practice at many State Fairs with a gated "Beer Garden", I do not see why this would not work with a Renaissance Fair.  TRF has an area of bars, add a few stages and you have a small "adults only" section.
"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

RumbaRue

I like the idea of having a section for adults only as opposed to no kids at all. Not that I'm a kid person, but as stated many vendors rely on parents to buy their kids stuff and the kids having fun.
Being Blond means I have the right to walk into any wall.

DonaCatalina

Quote from: unilady on September 08, 2008, 10:42:33 AM
One weekend at an established faire designated as Adult Only would be great!  Not that the bawdiness factor would go up, although it might, but more as a respite from the hordes of undisciplined rugrats running about unsupervised or barely better poorly supervised.  It would be wonderful to have a weekend where I didn't have to deal with children trying to grab Nixie, or parents who call me rude because I won't let their children pet her.  There are some children who are an absolute joy, and I do my best to tell the parents that I appreciate the way they are raising their kids, but having one weekend where I didn't have to deal with either would be lovely.

Dayna

me too.
I don't neccesarily need the bawdy kicked up a notch, but one weekend where you could actually listen to performers in the pub, instead of screaming kids and screaming parents, would be nice.

But I'm sure that the $$$$$ that the families bring in makes that just a dream.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

jcbanner

I would attend an adult faire, simply because It sound like it would have more freedom in it.  I can understand why people like family freindly faires, but I've noticed that several events that call themselves "family freindly" do so at the expence of more mature entertainment. (I'm not meaning mature only in the context of adult bookstore variety)  but honestly, with the faire I work at, even innuendo and sudgestive themes are looked down on.  Disney can get away with more then we can.  christ sake, we cant even have wenches on cast any more!  (these rules only apply to cast, not visiters, don't worry)

I would love an "adult" weekend where we have the rules relaxed.