News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Adult Faire?

Started by Captain Cornelius Howard Duckman, September 07, 2008, 11:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Ironhead

The Twisted Thistle Pub at the Kentucky faire is 21 and older as it serves just alcohol.  At the end of the day they have an adult, as in totally uncensored, pub sing.  I've watched one of the owners stop kids and adults with kids from coming in.
Debaucheteer
IBRSC #1389
Sandbox Inspector
Iron'n M'Crack
Royal Order of Landsharks #41

brier patch charlie

I wouldn't mind a more Adult Faire! But you don'rt want to drive away the family eather. But adding a Adult only zone for 21 and over would be great there at TRF. Some place were Iris & Rose could really let there hair down along with others. Now that would be cool.
Charles Coleman

groomporter

I recall seeing something a while ago about a "clothing optional" Renfaire that happened at some nudist/naturist camp a few years. Somehow not wearing clothes would seem to defeat one of the main draws of a Renfair
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Noble Dreg

Maybe true, but think of all the money I'd save on garb!  Of course pinning favors would kinda suck...
"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

gypsylakat

I love kids, I do, (well well behaved ones that belong to other people) but sometiems you just want to enjoy yourself without the screaming... I think there should be an adults only section, and perhaps someplace safe you can "check" your kids into while you go in.. and only for like an hour or two, something with some kind of craft or activity in an area with no beer, or anything like that. Perhaps make it educational and say it's only available for kids who are potty trained and up (people with kids younger than that, well guess your just not going to be able to go into that area) Like a day care, of course then you'd have to have a day care license and such.. but it could work.
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

groomporter

That's part of the problem of owning a game business, even though we don't market them as children's games, so many people associate games with children's past times, whereas we like to portray ourselves as more of a gaming/gambling hall -especially when we're play acting with the cast of a fair. I'ld love to teach a few bawdy songs to the staff to sing when it's slow, but we don't want to drive off the money carrying parents...

Ranna

I have to agree that it would have to be a section rather than the whole fair.  MDRF has a "children's" weekend - I think they get in free and there's lots of more kiddie orientated things to do.  Still, I think it would have to take advertising on a grand scale (moreso than I've ever seen the MDRF put out) to let the public know that XX weekend is "Adult only!" and I bet there would still be dozens of families with kids in tow that decided to drop by the fest that weekend.  Would be horrible for buisness to say to them "Uh ya, can't bring your kids today".
"The lasses have got to respect a man who can blow, finger and squeeze all at the same time." - Anonymous bagpipe player

theChuck

i remember reading that the hawkwood faire (i think?) was more adult than other faires, but it's closed.

i'd entertain the idea of going to an adult weekend at a faire. it'd make sense for them to tie it into a certain weekend - like st. patrick's day or oktoberfest or something. *shrug*
The Renlist - find faires near you!

DonaCatalina

Quote from: theChuck on September 09, 2008, 09:55:34 AM
i remember reading that the hawkwood faire (i think?) was more adult than other faires, but it's closed.

i'd entertain the idea of going to an adult weekend at a faire. it'd make sense for them to tie it into a certain weekend - like st. patrick's day or oktoberfest or something. *shrug*

Hawkwood was on unincorporated land when it was open. Unfortunately the land around it eventually became the Texas Motor Speedway. Bye bye Faire. But to be honest, the 'ultra-adult' stuff happened after closing hours so it wasn't available for public consumption.
Hawkwood wasn't closed because it was more adult than other Faires.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

groomporter

That would be the problem -some people getting out of hand and trying to turn it into a "wenches gone wild" kind of thing or a huge orgy that some people think happens after-hours.

I could see it maybe as an evening thing. Show your ID and get your hand stamped and you can stay after the normal closing, but at a big fair that would probably be a major head ache for the security crew. It's hard enough sometimes to weed the participants from the patrons at closing time.

theChuck

Quote from: DonaCatalina on September 09, 2008, 10:13:07 AM
Hawkwood was on unincorporated land when it was open. Unfortunately the land around it eventually became the Texas Motor Speedway. Bye bye Faire. But to be honest, the 'ultra-adult' stuff happened after closing hours so it wasn't available for public consumption.
Hawkwood wasn't closed because it was more adult than other Faires.

sorry, i didn't mean to infer that it closed because it was more adult. i thought i had read that it closed due to financial woes.

PurpleDragon

Quote from: theChuck on September 09, 2008, 12:41:08 PM

sorry, i didn't mean to infer that it closed because it was more adult. i thought i had read that it closed due to financial woes.

Yeah, GREEDY LANDLORD..  Hawkwood was a great faire from what I have heard, (Sadly I never made it there before it was closed thanks to my useless ex-wife never wanting to take any decent length trips away from her precious internet).
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

Messyn McCleavage

Hawkwood also had an "adult area" where the Bilge Pumps could perform their more bawdy songs. I was there for the evening adult only parties; it did not turn into a rennies gone wild type of scenario any more than what we do at TRF camp ground! If you REALLY want to be sure people don't get too naked, hold this event in the winter. (There was snow on the ground at one of Hawkwood's parties! People were invited to booths for "group warmth.")

Mayhaps creative body painting can be an option for those who insist on being naked during the day? We could threaten to "paint" with paintball guns any who do not cooperate.  :o
Gneonach Gnomie - SW Houston, TX

theChuck

Quote from: Messyn McCleavage on September 09, 2008, 01:27:30 PM
Mayhaps creative body painting can be an option for those who insist on being naked during the day? We could threaten to "paint" with paintball guns any who do not cooperate.  :o

paint them with.. welts? :/

Dallan

Quote from: Messyn McCleavage on September 09, 2008, 01:27:30 PM
Hawkwood also had an "adult area" where the Bilge Pumps could perform their more bawdy songs. I was there for the evening adult only parties; it did not turn into a rennies gone wild type of scenario any more than what we do at TRF camp ground! If you REALLY want to be sure people don't get too naked, hold this event in the winter. (There was snow on the ground at one of Hawkwood's parties! People were invited to booths for "group warmth.")

For the lads perhaps in the color blue?   ;D
Fight'n