News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Adult Faire?

Started by Captain Cornelius Howard Duckman, September 07, 2008, 11:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PurpleDragon

Quote from: Messyn McCleavage on September 09, 2008, 01:27:30 PM

We could threaten to "paint" with paintball guns any who do not cooperate.  :o

Don't TEASE ME WOMAN!!!!!!!!  I haven't been on a field slinging paint in quite some time and my trigger finger is itching.
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

Lord Finger

I don't think any amount of advertising by an established faire would keep families showing up at the gate, unaware of the adults only weekend. I'm not sure an adults only faire will stop people from trying to bring their kids in, either. Going adults only also limits the number of people able to attend (no sitter, no faire) and opportunities for vendors. I'm no fan of screaming kids, but I'm not staying home all day either.

I do like the idea of a faire having an area for adults to relax or play without worrying about kids. It's also good to have a play area (MDRF) for kids to use up some energy.

Adriana Rose

No matter what you tell people there is always that stupid parent that will bring thier kids.

Like the last time I was able to catch Iris and Rose's Speeding Trainwreck Show, there was a family with 2 kids about old enough to get the show parked in the front row. Iris and Rose warned them that the show can get wild but they stayed.

Whistler Fred

I wonder if a faire that advertises itself as "adults only" would have a problem with patrons bringing their kids, particularly if it is made plain that ID's will be checked.  However, I also wonder if such a faire could generate enough revenue to stay in business.  It may depend on location and how the show is presented and marketed.

Kids showing up at "adult only" shows within a faire is a problem.  I've seen shows where preteens were in the front row while the performer was trying to do songs that (hopefully) the kids wouldn't comprehend.  I'm sympathetic to parents who don't want their children to hear things that would need explaining later, but if a stage act has a PG-13 or Mature rating, it's best to take that seriously and keep your kids away.

The Four Kingdom's Faire is planning on having an evening show at their pub after regular hours for patrons 21 or above.  It will be interesting to see how well that works.
Whistler Fred (Lauritzen)

"Get ready for the Whistler.  I'll whistle along on the seventh day."  Ian Anderson

Lord Finger

After hours and open to the public should draw a nice crowd of faire regulars and probably some interested newcomers. Sounds like a nice time to meet performers, if they are also there.

Dustin

Quote from: Whistler Fred on September 09, 2008, 04:19:00 PM
The Four Kingdom's Faire is planning on having an evening show at their pub after regular hours for patrons 21 or above.  It will be interesting to see how well that works.

I'd noticed that the tavern was going to be opened until 10pm, but I didn't know about the evening show. My wife and I will be attending Saturday night, after we take our kids to grandma's house.
If love be rough with you, be rough with love;
Prick love for pricking, and you beat love down. Romeo & Juliet, 1.IV

Killian

I suppose an established Faire could hold an extended night or few for the adult only thing. You could have it "reopen" half an hour or an hour after closing cannon and let the 18+ or 21+ crowd back in and let the party begin. Or, it could open for an extra Friday or weekend that is advertised in a different manner than the normal season so families don't show up.

BrokenArts

If a show was *indoors*, only adults would be allowed in.  A closed pub, if one is available. Of course we know how that goes.  At least the people passing by with young kids wouldn't catch them *in the act*, if you know what I mean. 

Whistler Fred

Quote from: Dustin on September 09, 2008, 10:05:29 PM
Quote from: Whistler Fred on September 09, 2008, 04:19:00 PM

I'd noticed that the tavern was going to be opened until 10pm, but I didn't know about the evening show. My wife and I will be attending Saturday night, after we take our kids to grandma's house.

Well, calling it a show might not have been totally correct.  The Pub will be open until ten and there will be live music.  Still, it should be fun!
Whistler Fred (Lauritzen)

"Get ready for the Whistler.  I'll whistle along on the seventh day."  Ian Anderson

Yrose

I could see a large section closed of by gate. Something like Sherwood Forest of TRF would be nice.
Don't forget to smell the roses, but watch out for the thorns!

Lord Duelist

Quote from: sealclubber on September 07, 2008, 11:44:51 PM
So, in our spare time, me and some friends were talking about making an Adults Only Faire (21+) Now, right now, it's just a lot of hot air and talk, but I figured I'd pop in here and see what advice you lot might have for such a thing. Anything at all is welcome, positive or negative.

I'd love a chance to go to something like this, even if it was just an adult-only section of a larger faire.

Obviously the crowds will be smaller. As a result the site would probably have to be much smaller (I'm not sure how big the actual grounds of say TRF are, if that 53 acres counts e.g. the parking and camping areas).

Another problem I see, is finding when the good acts are available. As much as I'd like to see Christophe the Insultor, Sound & Fury, Iris & Rose, and even Ded Bob (and other great mature-audience acts I have yet to see!) doing truly no-holds-barred, no-need-to-worry-about-kids-sneaking-in, turn-the-bawdiness-knob-all-the-way-up shows, it's entirely possible conflicts with other faires won't allow it.

I wouldn't mind paying twice what I usually do to get in ($30-40) if I knew the performers were getting a larger-than-normal cut of it.

I would prefer to see it 18+, or if laws permitted in the area 17+, I think 21+ is a bit too exclusive and unnecessary. The only reason I would see to keep it 21+ is for serving mixed drinks and personally I'm happy with beer and wine, when I'm in the mood to get tipsy to begin with.

Macintyre

sounds like a good idea, but ithink that it would be more affective to convince pre-existing faires to have an adult only weekend rather than to start and adults only faire.  maybe iether at the beginning or at the end so that the shops that tend cater to youngsters can still make thier cash without the disruptiveness of an adults only weekend in the middle of a season.

Cormac

I enjoy taking the kids to the faire, but must confess that the rare times that I can attend without them is much enjoyed.  An afterhours event or a special area at the faire that would have some of the more risque acts would be wonderful.  I for one would pay a reasonable premium to enjoy this.  The next logical step is to communicate to the management of your local faire and express your thoughts on the matter. 

Dev

An "adult" renfest would be interesting.

PRF has something close to an "adult" section of the faire - by the pub is where the bawdy acts (PG-13, a lot of innuendo and suggestion but fairly tame language) are and most of the drinking goes on, but it's not exclusive.  I thought the pub was a 21+ area, but I found out it is apparently not.

Could include: vendors selling naughty novelties (handcuffs, whips, lotion candles, massage oil, tickling feather wands, naughty clothing, very extravagant codpieces), tasteful toplessness (eg. if it is part of your costume: bellydancer, courtesan, a very wenchy wench, pirates, barbarians, etc.  No topless mundanes), games for couples, spanking booth, and extremely bawdy shows.

The challenge lies in being "adult" while still having class.

Captain Cornelius Howard Duckman

Can't resist: My class i Ranger, does that help? ;)