News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Adult Faire?

Started by Captain Cornelius Howard Duckman, September 07, 2008, 11:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcbanner

an adult area sounds more practical, till you really think about everything it would involve.  to start with, you'd need to displace the merchants from the area, unless that would want to remain in the location.  but I'm sure that not many would would want to be in an age restricted area, thats a big limitation on your available market to sell to.  As others have already said, if you have an area for the adults, then you'd need something for the kids, how else will the parents go in there unless theres somewhere to drop the young ones, cant let them wander around the grounds unattended.

if its only a small section of the grounds, it kind of defeats the purpose of adult only if we're talking about garbing. I'm not saying obscene or "adult" in fashion, but some might want to be a little more provocative then they can normally get away with.  who wants the change outfits going back and forth between areas?

there are more reasons I can think of, but these are just the basics.

I like the idea though of an after closing adult event.  Close down the faire an hour early one day, everyone out, half and hour later, (time enough to mark of designated areas) readmit adults with the main areas of faire still open, (will be FAR fewer people now, don't need the full grounds.)

TKM

that's a great idea. I know, though, at KCRF, were they to do something like this, They would likely leave the whole grounds open despite the number of people. But I agree, an adult's only area defeats a lot of the purpose, though many faires do have areas to leave the tykes (like the enchanted realm at KCRF). I could imagine a major faire hosting something like this either after hours, or a weekend before or after main faire season.

jcbanner

While my last post was against an "adult area" of the faire, I just meant as a large, sub-area of the faire grounds.

On a small scale, I can see an adult only area working nicely. Such as a beer garden where alcohol is served, bawdy humor is shared and performers can sing their not-so-family-friendly songs.  not a faire within the faire where anything is fair (;D try and say it 3 times aloud, I dare you!)  more of the kid free stop to sit and have a good time before continuing to the rest of the grounds. (and then to return to later)

DonaCatalina

I think Scarborough has realized that the 'kiddie' crowd are not the ones who bring in the real money. They removed the kiddie rides that were right in the King's Pub area.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

LadyAsh

I know there's Wicked Faire in New Jersey? That one takes place around February. Other than that, there are no other adult faires. I do agree that either an adult area would be nice, or after a certain time, the faire closes for the family, then reopens for adults instead, until about maybe 9 or 10pm? During those hours, fire shows can take place, a bit more bawdy pub songs, and maybe the vendors could stay open as well. :)
"Love can make a summer fly, or a night seem like a lifetime." -Andrew Lloyd Webber

lys1022

Actually, the "kiddie" crowd brings in a TON of money for most faires.  Kids want wooden swords and orange ices, they want princess hats, fairy wings and calzones.  Families spend a lot of money at faire, which is no doubt part of why more and more faires are creating atmospheres where families are welcome.

Yes, the drinkers and pub-goers spend money as well, but both groups are important to the survival of a Festival.

They didn't remove the bungee, btw.  It was over on the other side of the same set of kitchens, between King's Pub and Crown Stage.

As for extending faire hours, I don't know about anyone else but as someone who works faire I would absolutely HATE that idea.  By the time cannon goes off (when I'm working, which hasn't been the last few years), I'm ready to be done.  I've already been working around 11 hours and I'm usually exhausted, with every muscle hating me.  I think that if someone suggested, "Hey!  Let's tack on another 3 hours!" I would find a way to quietly garrote them in an alley somewhere (*note:  SAID IN JEST!  YEESH!  I wouldn't REALLY garrote someone...I'm much more likely to use a sword *grin*). 
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.

Orphena

Our Pirate Festival is a one weekend faire, and we offer an adults only "Captain's Keg Party" on the Saturday night. Gates are open 10am - 6pm, Keg starts at 7pm, between 6 and 7 we make several announcements, and those with kids tend to wander out - now, keep in mind that we are a small faire, so don't have extensive grounds, and it is only the tavern that officially stays open. Being piratical,we attract people of ALL ages throughout the day, but those who attend the party always seem to enjoy the opportunity to let their hair down.  Merchants close up shop, some join for a while. As actors, it DOES make for a long night, but it also establishes our event as something that appeals to a wider range of people than just those who have young kids. Most "family oriented" events can tend to hold less appeal for those without kids, and this allows us to keep more people interested. The keg offers entertainments not availble during the day, and it CAN get bawdier.....pickle eating contests take on a whole new look, and the song choices are unmonitored. I enjoy it for a little while, but am also glad to be excused by 10 or so!
Luxurious Lady ~ Statuesque Seamstress ~ Winsome Wayfarer
Enjoyer of Elegant Elizabethan Ensembles