News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

When did you begin taking your kids to faire?

Started by Femme Falchion, September 08, 2008, 08:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Femme Falchion

My husband and I have enjoyed many years to faire together...with the rest of our "adult" adventuring party. 

However, we haven't attended together in almost 3 years since the birth of our twin boys.

At what age did you begin bringing your young children?....At what age did both you and your children really enjoy the experience together?

For some reason, I am hesitant.  I can't seem to wrap my head around the thought of chasing around 2 1/2 year olds while trying to maintain the faire persona that I have come to love....

Any thoughts and feedback would be appreciated!
Domina Virago
Grand Mistress of the Order of the Hatchet
Mother Confessor
Sister of the Spring Fires

chainshot

Hi there,
  My wife and I are proud parents of three terrific children ages 4,6 & 8 and they all began attending faire from the time they were still in their mother belly.  Since then, we have to admit that they were quite a handful during the toddler years, but have gotten to the age now (most of the time) where they are now old enough to sit still for a moment or two to enjoy a show, and stick close to us when we move about the grounds.   :)

Lady Renee Buchanan

We took our then 6 week old son when we were merchants at the Ringling Museum Medieval Faire in Sarasota in the early 1980's.  It was difficult to work a booth when stopping every 2 hours to nurse, but we made it through.

This past summer, we took our son's girlfriend and her little boy (age 3) to the Dubuque Ren Faire.  They live in Dubuque, so it wasn't a long drive.  JT wore a Buchanan kilt that I ordered for him with a red shirt that
was a gift.  He loved the garb, but all he wanted to do was play on the children's playground (it was held in a park).  So he didn't really participate in anything or even want to go to see the children's activities.  I guess it depends on the child.  I would suggest exposing the child in small doses at a faire nearby home, so if it doesn't work out, you don't have a long drive back home, and a lot of wasted money on tickets.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Blue66669

My kids have both grown up at faire. They know now, at 2 and 5, that the good food is on a stick, if you're a good boy/girl you can take a weapon home with you, there is always a pewter dragon/faerie in your future, and faire isn't officially faire until they bring in the elephant and camel.

My kids love it there, and I remember breastfeeding my youngest aty around 5 months old out there. Camping and everything. We camped at TRF with our clan in the rowdy area, and both of our kids survived. They look forward to going every year. Hell, this year they even helped us paint the shop!!!
Blaidd Drwg

Lady Amy of York

My 4 year old son has been going with my husband and I  to faire since he was 6 months old.  he loves going, and dressing up in  in full noble attire with his mommy and  daddy. 
    He has a crush on our queen at The Sterling ren faire.  One Sunday, last month, when we were there he had a nice converstion with the Queen. He even bowed before her and removed his hat. ( i did not teach him this, he just knew from watching others at faire ! )   Later on we were sitting on abench taking a rest, and the Queen came by  and sat afew feet away from us. They were blowing kisses back and  forth to each other.   
Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

Dustin

We're taking our kids to their first faire this month. My daughter is 6, and my son is 3. The faire we're attending is in the same metro area where we live, so it's a 15 minute drive. My wife's parents are in the area, too, so if the kids get bored, we can just take them over to grandma's and return to the faire. We're planning that anyway, since our faire is having a 21-and-over-only show in the tavern after hours that we want to attend the day that we're taking our kids. The faire's website has some coloring pages you can print out for the kids, and my daughter colored a fairy and a coat of arms. She's really excited - she gets to wear a costume - but the boy could care less. He will probably like the faeries and the sword fighting, but he'll probably get bored with the singing. But then he may not - he's a little unpredictable.
If love be rough with you, be rough with love;
Prick love for pricking, and you beat love down. Romeo & Juliet, 1.IV

Sir William Marcus

We first took our daughter to our local faire as mundanes when she was three. We wanted to see how she would take in the whole experience. Like many before us she absolutely loved it and we have been garbing up and attending every year since.

VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

Monsignor de Beaumanoir

We took our daughter for the first time when she was 1. Like some, to test the waters. But I think most parents will agree, that until about school age, you're at the beck and call (mercy) of your little one's desires. Let's face it, you're the parent, and they are your responsibility to care for, and bottom line was you brought them for their experience, not to "drag/lug" them around. (they do have sleep/eat/poop cycles that aren't easily ignored)
When they get to be about school age, the "learning/exploring" drive kicks in, and it makes it more fun to share with them. My princess actually made it througha whole day at GARF full speed at the age of 4.
I must admit, the early exposure worked on her, because Celtic music will stop her dead in her tracks, and like all little girls, she wants the latest Templar/Hospitaller/ Teutonic figurine available. ;) ;D   (Go on ladies admit it....once you're over the denial, the rest is easy! ;D )

Ranna

I have two children, 4 and 1 1/2. We've been taking our daughter every year since she was born and my son's first visit was last year.  The rockey terrain is alittle rough with a stroller, but it's a godsend for when they finally crash out to sleep.  My daughter is such the princess, she loves playing dress up and I may even try my hand at making a kilt for my son this year.  We bring them atleast once a season, and the other times we drop them off at the grandparent's to have a day to ourselves.  The whole fest experience changes when the kids are there, but I wouldn't pass up the opportunity.  They can be a handful at times and sometimes you have to leave earlier than you'd like because they get tired and cranky - but if it's something you love to do, bringing your children so that they can love it too will only help them blossom.
"The lasses have got to respect a man who can blow, finger and squeeze all at the same time." - Anonymous bagpipe player

Femme Falchion

wow, thanks for sharing the great experiences and suggestions  :)

As Lady Renee and others suggested driving distance seems to be an important issue to consider.  (the boys do NOT do well when confined in any way!) I'm thinking we'll hold off this fall (CRF is 2 hours away for us) and will wait until NCRF next spring (30 min away). 

My Lord and I also will have the opportunity to drop the kids off with Grandparents (thanks for the great idea Dustin) so we can attend GARF together.
Now...if I can only lineup someone to watch the boys overnight so we can have a full weekend at CRF! 

Appreciate the reminder/reality checks from Warrior Monk and Chainshot.....toddlers are a handful and right now it's definitely all about them, ALL the time (even at faire). 

and Mistress Brimstone....you strike me as a woman who knows how to make everything work  :) ;)  I'm still in training!
Domina Virago
Grand Mistress of the Order of the Hatchet
Mother Confessor
Sister of the Spring Fires

nliedel

6 weeks, 2 years, 10 weeks and 1 year. We just drag our brood everywhere. We shorten our day, of course, but we just take lots of extra stuff and hide in corners for breaks.

Everyone loved it from about 3, but now that the oldest one is eleven he's getting some of the older shows and enjoying it much more. Every year it's a new adventure. Just go with the idea that it ain't like the old days and you will be fine.
My journey from mundane to Ren Actor

Sir William Marcus

Quote from: Warrior_Monk on September 10, 2008, 10:16:55 AM
My princess actually made it through a whole day at GARF full speed at the age of 4.

That was my princess last year. I was somewhat reluctant to take her to our local faire that weekend as the mercury climbed to 90+ degrees.

We actually ended up going, she hung in there, all day, never complained once, except when we had to leave because the faire was closing.

VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

nliedel

Oh my that reminds me. Last year JJ was 2, almost 3 and he pushed his own stroller through the whole faire. We thought it would tire him out. Nope, up all night yammering about it. That was so funny.
My journey from mundane to Ren Actor

Blue66669

I made my pasty white baby girl a cute little outfit for her first faire. She was only 5 months old, so I made her a little pirate bodice, and a dark red crushed velvet skirt with pirate flag underoos attached. She even had her picture taken with the Queen!

Brinson and Evie- Castle K'zar bracers and headpiece
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc14/blue66669/The%20Kiddos/SORTLIST012.jpg

Brinson at a Clan Gathering- drumming
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc14/blue66669/Clan%20McLotofus/IMG_3747.jpg

More drumming
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc14/blue66669/Clan%20McLotofus/IMG_3745.jpg

Baby Evie at 18 months, enjoying the pipes and drums
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc14/blue66669/Clan%20McLotofus/IMG_3713.jpg
Blaidd Drwg

Dallan

Our boys are 5 years apart. The youngest, 6, has been going to faire literally all his life. He started wearing garb when he was 3; that part was pretty easy because both kids love playing dress up. I'm pretty sure it's a genetic issue.  ;) I can tell you each year it gets easier. Once he was able to not be in a stroller it was easier. As he got older he could walk all day without needing to sit on Dad's shoulders it got easier. He's starting to really enjoy shows now so it's not just games that entertain him which makes it easier.

Lady Di and I had the rare occasion to go to attended MDRF with friends one day recently without the kids. We had a great time but by the ride home we were talking about all the things that we did and saw that the boys would have loved. It's differently a different experience without the kids; more time in the pub, bawdier shows, more time socializing with adults but I can tell you that I only want to go without the boys once in a while. Where else can you find an activity that the entire family loves and is entertained by for 8 hours for such a reasonable price.  It can be a pain in the neck at times. And while I'm sure that there have been times that I've uttered "we are never doing this again!" for the life of me I can't remember them. What I can remember is many wonderful times that the boys occasionally recant to us, family and their friends. In short I recommend creating family memories for your boys that they will remember forever, as soon as you can and as frequently as you can.

I hope you make CRF. We'll be there November  15 and 16. We are breaking the drive up on the way down but driving the 7.5 hours straight home on Monday.
Fight'n