News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Potluck at the Castle - A Fund Raiser for Loveland Castle

Started by Peter Beer Slayer, September 09, 2008, 11:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Beer Slayer

What:

Potluck at the Castle - A Fund Raiser for Loveland Castle

When:

Saturday, Nov. 15th, from 5 p.m. until 10 a.m. Sunday, Nov. 16th

Where:

Loveland Castle, Chateau Laroche in Loveland, Ohio

The latest details and directions are here http://www.sturmphoto.com/potluck/

Why:

Raise money to help keep Loveland Castle alive.
http://www.lovelandcastle.com/

To that end we have arranged for an evening at Loveland Castle. Good music, good food, fine drinks and award-winning entertainers: Jack Salt, The Pickled Brothers Side Show, and Minstrel Woode.
All ticket sale proceeds ($15 at the gate) go directly to Loveland Castle and the Knights of the Golden Trail.

The tantalizing smell of potluck stew will beckon you to join the warmth of old and new friends around the large outdoor firepit.  You will be entertained by award-winning professional musicians and showmen.  We will be able to drum until 1:00 in the morning so bring your drums and dancing shoes!

Everyone is invited to spend the night in the castle or on the grounds.
(see 'Crash Space' for details)

This is a costume/garb friendly event.

Potluck:

This is not your modern office party type potluck where you sign up to bring a dish and everything is arranged.  This is the ancient communal method with everyone contributing and sharing in the meal!
We start with an outdoor firepit on the banks of a river, in the shadows of Loveland Castle and the light of the moon.
"The Giant Blessed +10 Cauldron of True Potluck" is brought forth and hung over the blazing firepit.
The recipe is simple: Sear the meats, toss in vegetables and spices, add enough liquids to allow a bubble.
Simmer for hours, occasionally stirring with the "Great Stewing Oar of 'Not Burning the Cook'".
The final result is a dinner fit for a King, large enough to feed an army... Or an army of Kings...

We ask you bring:

A merry mood!

A bit of food that you would like to see in our stew.
You may bring anything, hence the name "potluck", each stew is different but every stew is wonderful.  From sausage to venison, from beef to pepperoni, any meat is good. Any and all vegetables give it body.
Bringing the food earlier is better because the longer the food can cook together, the deeper the flavor of the stew.  But don't worry about arriving late with food. We can always speed cook and add any additions as needed.

OR bring something for noshing, and/or bring something for breakfast.

Drink:

There will be at least one home brewer sharing his craft.
A local winery has generously donated a couple of cases of Wine and Meadfor us to sample.
Despite the contributions, this is a 'Bring Your Own Drink' event. Bring enough of your favorite beverage for yourself and a bit for sharing.

Be Merry:

We are bringing in

Jack Salt, http://www.myspace.com/jacksaltandthewaisters

Minstrel Woode  http://www.minstrelwoode.com/main_page.php

The Pickled Brothers Side Show http://www.pickledbrothers.com/

Crash Space:

Speaking of drinking and not driving...we encourage you to spend the night with us in the castle.

Bring your bedroll, air mattress or cot because sleeping space is on the floor.  The Castle floor is made primarily of stone
It is not fancy but it is dry.  There is also lovely garden space for your tent.

We ask that everyone vacate the castle and castle grounds by 10 a.m.
Sunday.
Everyone is invited to loiter at the picnic area longer but the Castle needs to be ready for tours and 'Business as Usual' at its normal opening time.

If you have further questions, or are interested in performing at the Castle fund raiser, please contact Jonathan Lancaster at (502) 640-7977.
Peter Beer Slayer
IBRSC#1096
IFoRP

Veni, Vidi, Pellicere * Veni, Potavi, Vici

Old Tinker

good people recognize a good cause.
our friend Peter, me Belle and me will promote this upcome'n event.
we can not think of a better group to support.
if me's may ask, thee has 5:00pm as start'n time,
would it be possible to get there any earlier, by permission of our "Captain humphrey" ?
with OHRF closed, me Belle and me could arrive a little sooner to help set up and enjoy ale's.
Edit-  answer, as long as we stay down by the river and firepit dur'n open hours (10am to 5pm), the more the merry'er.

Alright "Castleteers"(and all), hers the chance to repay our "Captain humphrey" and the knights of "Loveland Castle" for be'n great host for our "Gather'ns". so make thy plans now, set the date on thy calendar, (and we's will also on "Calendar of friends")
i be the Old Tinker and his belle...

................................................updated-11/15/08  ..........................................................

Edit- again-   me Belle and me will start a list'n right here, right now.
Edit x 3 (10-07-08) -  thee "Captain" has also includ'd Friday even'n to the schedule (5pm till you leave Sunday), WOW, what a good time will be had.

those that are plann'n to attend to support (our) "Loveland Castle"-
              ------------ November 15th, 2008 help support of our friends ----------------
                                                       (last update 11-15-08)

"Captain" humphrey
Peter the Beer Slayer
Maeve Nations & Kadden + wench sister- Layla
Whits_End
Poof Bird
Lady Pegos
kydavid
WindChime
Sir Jim
Angus & Lady
CapnFayeCutler & Brother
Conte Carl & Contessa Donna
jinx
travis, Susan & Erik
AuntyLou
Capt Lucy
Sir William Marcus
Curto & Imestra +fri
Sir James & Lady Missy
Old Tinker and his Belle
Katie- in spirit
StareNorthSteve- in spirit
Lady Everclear- in spirit

Loveland "Castleteer"
Travel Safe, Travel Far

Poof Bird

HUZZAH!!  I'll happily attend to help fund our beloved Castle!!

Lady Pagos

Pagos M'Crack
Sister of Bugsey
Loveland Castleteer

kydavid

WindChime

Chime'n Penny / Cheiftess Clan O'Maille
Irish Penny Brigade
Guppy #90
Castleteer
IWG #3740 Local #57
Lost Viking
FOKTOP
Booth Owner @ KyRF & ORF
Keeper of All Bells & Chimes
RESCU Rally Captain ORF &  KyRF

Bugsy

Elvish dragonfly
Castleteer
Bugs'n M'Crack Clan O'Maille
sister of Lady Pegos

Angus

On Chateau La Roche's website the admission price is $10.00, has the price changed since yesterday?

...$10.00 or $15.00 matters little to me, I'll still be there, I just wanted clarification.
Chief cook, and bottle washer...

CapnFayeCutler

Slack'n Penny -  Chieftess, Clan Byrne of the IPB
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575
RoOL 26 | Castleteer | ETTE

Carl

Count us in .  I think the 10.00 was for the haunted house.
Castleteer
Bretheren of the Great Lakes
Outlander
FOKTOP
True heirto the Duchy of Savoy
Rivet'n Penny

jinx

Ooooohhh....I'll -try-.  November is a hard time for me to take off at work, especially on a Sunday, since I'm the only one in that day.  But I'll still try.
Lust.
Pirate.
Wench.
Mischievous Little Imp.
Dinosaur.

AuntyLou

'tis an event most anticipated!  I'll be there with bells on.  (Just try and find them!)  And I believe the Cherry Bounce will be just about ready by then... A grand Fanfare to the Festive Season...
Aunty Lou

Peter Beer Slayer

I compiled this from an older thread on a different forum... 

Old Tinker told me people are asking when they should arrive, due to them having ingredients for "The Giant Blessed +10 Cauldron Of True Potluck".

Short answer:
We plan on arriving at the Castle by 1:00.
The sooner the food arrives and is in the Cauldron the better it can do its magic.
But we can take and prep food and get it in the stew anytime.

Long Answer:
Our plan is to be there by 1:00.
It'll take about half an hour to forty five minutes to get the charcoal started and the keg of homebrew set up.
Once the charcoal is going, I'll put the cauldron on the heat.
Then we start cutting up the food and tossing it in the pot as the food is cut.

I usually start with the bacon because it sizzles up nicely and provides a good seasoning for the iron.
I then work through the raw meats because the sooner they get in the cooking heat the sooner they are "out of the danger zone" bacteria wise.
Then the cooked meats
Then the "flavor vegetables" onions, garlic etc to get their juices going.
About now is when I add the other spices. Salt, Pepper, Bay, Cilantro or whatever else we have on hand.
Then vegetables that take the longest to cook. Carrots, turnips etc
Then everything else.
Add enough liquid to allow it to bubble
Then all we have to do is to remember to stir the kettle with the "Great Stewing Oar of 'Not Burning the Cook"  occasionally
and to keep everyone well hydrated with the adult beverage of their choice.
(Did I mention the keg will be stationed near our "Kitchen")
We let it cook for a couple of hours.
One hour and it is edible,
Two hours and it is good,
Three hours and it is almost perfect but no one can wait any longer because they have been smelling it cook for three hours.
But generally the longer it cooks the better it is. In fact by adding more and more food it is possible to have an everlasting stew.

I'll set up a bit of the fire for flash cooking anything that arrives late.
Depending on what it is, the late arriving food will probably sprinkled w/ spice, wrapped in foil and stuck directly in the coals to steam in its own juices. This cooks it quickly and flavors it well.
It can be either served strait from the foil or dumped in the stew.
I came up with this when someone arrived at one of my potlucks after we had begun serving the stew with 5lbs of raw chicken quarters.
I'll also have a skillet and a pot of water for boiling if needed.

The key to this whole thing is that the longer the stew cooks the better it gets.

----------------------------------------------

You can picture it now.
The weather is chilly and probably damp.
The heat of the fire draws you in and basks you in heat.
Your cloak and blankets keep the chill out from behind.
The smells; you can smell the river, the wet ground and the fall leaves.
But on top of that is the fire and the stew.
Ohh, yeah the stew. The stew is bubbling, steaming and smelling oh so good.
At least three people have made sure your cup is filled with something good to drink.
Old friends and new friends talk, and laugh and call out to people as they arrive.
And the evening has just barely begun.
Peter Beer Slayer
IBRSC#1096
IFoRP

Veni, Vidi, Pellicere * Veni, Potavi, Vici

Capt Lucy

Dame Lucy, Captain of the Crimson Phoenix
IWG #2772 L77 Madame Emeritus
Booty'n Penny
Ette, R/F, IFORP, Merc, FOKTOP, Rengeek blah blah blah...

Old Tinker

Quote from: Lucy on September 12, 2008, 05:22:59 PM
DUH!  Of course this Capt will be there as well!  :D

our Lucy, twas good to see thee this last weekend, even thought it sure seem'd short live'd.
me Belle and me will be happy to add thee to the list'n for the fund raiser. hope to see thee soon again, and again, and again..
i be the Old Tinker and his Belle...
Loveland "Castleteer"
Travel Safe, Travel Far