News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Belted Plaid and Tunic! :)

Started by Aelwyn, May 11, 2008, 10:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aelwyn

I haven't had a sewing machine in about a decade.  What little sewing I did (repairs, making skirts, pouches, etc) was by hand.  But I recently got a sewing machine, and am getting to try it out!  A friend of ours invited us to an SCA camping event.  Naturally, my man and I need garb for it.  He decided to go with 17th century Scottish (tunic and belted plaid), while I'm going with 16th century Irish (currently, bodice and skirt, and chemise...eventually an Irish dress).

Anyhow, first project was his tunic!  The belted plaid was easy---D-ring belt (Tundra Leather rocks), and a length of wool tartan.  For the tunic I used 100% gauze cotton (wanted something light for him, but somewhat accurate, since he gets really hot easily) in black.  I didn't use a pattern (which to some people might not be a big deal, but I'm quite pleased!  LOL!).  I trimmed the sleeves with the same plaid as his kilt, and did a key-hole neckline (which I'll be blanket stitching in dark green). 

Pics:

And the cat "helping" with the trimming and the pleating:

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*
Find me on Facebook as Aelwyn Daeira

Aelwyn

The tunic is completed!  I hand sewed the neckline, sleeve hems, and bottom hem (just easier with the super flimsy fabric).  Here are some pics (complete with kitty hair, since Rackham the Pirate Kitty insisted on helping):

Full shot:

Sleeve trim:

Neckline:
Find me on Facebook as Aelwyn Daeira

FaireMare

Is this a sewing thread? No, maybe a garb....

Can you please RenMail me and let me know if you are looking for in terms of help.  That way I can put the thread in the best area to help you oout! 

FaireMare

LadyOren

I think it looks awesome!  And he looks dashing in it, your so lucky to get him in garb, I'm still trying after 10 yrs of wedded bliss to garb my beloved with no luck. 
When I'm gone look for me beneath your boots, for I have returned to the ground from which I came.   Walt Whitman