News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Murphy's Laws of Sewing

Started by Lady Rosalind, September 09, 2008, 10:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Rosalind

I know we used to have a thread for this on the other site, not sure if it made it here...

Post your "Murphy's Law" experiences!

Mine for tonight:

The one night that you finally have both the time and energy to make a big push to get most of the King's new doublet put together, the #$%$^^& iron decides it will no longer heat up while pressing one of the lining layers. And of course, the other lining fabric is not pressed at all yet, which means I can't flat line the black cotton with the cotton drill tonight.  >:(

I'll be making a trip to Target over lunch tomorrow... And this iron was not cheap, either...

gem

Hey, isn't your local Walmart open 24 hours?  I thought I saw that, last time I was home...  Anyway, I feel your pain--my iron is just about the one thing I can't imagine trying to sew without!

Bugsy

There will NOT be enough eyelets/grommets at your craft store.  (they really need to be available in packages of 50  ;D  )
Elvish dragonfly
Castleteer
Bugs'n M'Crack Clan O'Maille
sister of Lady Pegos

Hoowil

Why is it that the blasted eyelets/grommets I can find always come in packages of ODD numbers?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

operafantomet

When you're only supposed to do a quick seam, the very last one before going to bed, and maybe the very last one before you can assemble the skirt, it ends up looking like this:

Of course it takes forever to unpick, and it made you run out of thread in the right nuance..... :-\

Lady Grape

my machine loves doing that.

Why is it that the bobbin always runs out when you are in the middle of a tricky part that you don't want to stop and take it out?
Be the change you want to see.

Kate XXXXXX

You WILL run out of black silk/embroidery floss one buttonhole before the end of a run of 16...

Lady Caroline

Quote from: operafantomet on September 10, 2008, 12:47:51 AM
When you're only supposed to do a quick seam, the very last one before going to bed, and maybe the very last one before you can assemble the skirt, it ends up looking like this:

Of course it takes forever to unpick, and it made you run out of thread in the right nuance..... :-\

We've all been there, I think.  Some of us more than others!  Does anyone know why the machine does this?  Is it something to do with tension?  The reason I stopped using our antique one back in the 80's, was because it started doing this...

Pascal

Yep, it's tension.  It's normally going to be upper tension being too loose.  If the loops are on the top of the fabric, then the problem is lower tension; if the loops are on the bottom of the fabric, it's upper tension.

Kate XXXXXX

Upper tension, certainly.  Usually caused by one of two problems:

Failure to put presser foot down!  And if you are sewing something bulky, make sure it doesn't pop the tension lever up while going through the machine...

Failing to get the thread properly down between the tension disks!  Always thread with the presser foot UP!

Similar problems may be encountered if there is lint or gunge between the disks.  'Floss' them regularly with a lint free lens cloth.

DonaCatalina

This thread was on the old forum. But it was a good one.

-Fusible interfacings always fuse to the iron
-Whenever the construction process is going well, the bobbin thread runs out
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

LaurenLee

You have planned an evening of sewing, and will actually FINISH a project... then.... LIGHTS OUT.

Thank you, Commonwealth Edison. :D

Lady Rosalind

Quote from: gem on September 09, 2008, 10:38:09 PM
Hey, isn't your local Walmart open 24 hours?  I thought I saw that, last time I was home...  Anyway, I feel your pain--my iron is just about the one thing I can't imagine trying to sew without!

Both of our Walmarts are 24-hour stores (yes, we now have two...). It was 10:15 pm, I was already in my pj's, and Walmart at night creeps me out. Plus, I didn't want to have to wake my son to tell him I was going to the store. Plus, it would have been at least 11 before I got home. This way I have an excuse to get leave work over the lunch hour.  ;D

Kate XXXXXX

The customer's black velvet is always the most comfortable cat nest...

RumbaRue

Always when just at a few inches of material left to sew and you run out of bobbin and/or the top thread breaks.

Sewing your fingers....OUCH!!!
Being Blond means I have the right to walk into any wall.