News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Murphy's Laws of Sewing

Started by Lady Rosalind, September 09, 2008, 10:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elennare

When it is late at night, and you're almost finished with only one long seam/hem left to do, it will, without fail, get sewn inside out and not noticed until the entire seam/hem is sewn.  >.<

Also, when using pins, you will (well, I will, at least) get stabbed at least once per sewing project.
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

Kate XXXXXX

What, only once?  (Taking a break while I stop bleeding...  )

Lady Toadflinger

That thread that matched the fabric perfectly last night (under artificial light, of course) is glaringly WRONG today under natural light!
keeper of the royal menagerie

Dayna

The 2 3/4 yards of fabric which will be enough to make the garment turns out to have had a sample cut from it and as a result there will a section of one piece of the bodice which is 3 lousy stinking ratzafratzin' inches too short!

Dayna
Dayna Thomas
Nixie's Mom
Bristol FoF Hench
Education Goddess...yeah, right
FoF Merchant Liason/Merchandizing Maven

Artemisia

When you need a new bodice by the next day and try to shortcut by using a Simplicity pattern, it will turn out two sizes too small even though you think you've adjusted for pattern ease.  :-[
Artemisia Moltabocca
You haven't had enough coffee unless you can thread a sewing machine while it's running.

Margaret

No matter if you 'measure twice, cut once', the length of fabric will be too long or too short for your needs.
Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

operafantomet

Quote from: Margaret on September 11, 2008, 02:09:58 AM
No matter if you 'measure twice, cut once', the length of fabric will be too long or too short for your needs.
Word!! I struggled with some fitted Victorian sleeves yesterday, and messed it up badly. And believe me, I measured both two and thee times. Aaaagh!!

LadyStitch

You spend 2 hours shopping for all the fabric you need for the outfit.  You find the perfect outfit but when you get to the counter, the bolt is 9 inches to short for even the base amount, not even counting the  "just in case factor".  (had that last night)

You find the perfect button but they are one card short.

You get the item sewn and on the last snip of thread you cut something you shouldn't. And it is always late at night.

It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Kate XXXXXX

When you are short of time and making buttonholes in velvet, the machine WILL bugger one of them up and it will take over an hour to unpick it, most carefully...  AAARRRGGGHHH!!!  >:( >:( >:(

Elennare

Quote from: Kate XXXXXX on September 10, 2008, 12:53:05 PM

Hehe.  The "at least" was the operative phrase in my law.  Usually I do it 4 or 5 times, but every once in a while I get lucky and only stab myself once.  Thus the reason I've started avoiding using pins if at all possible.  :)
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

gypsylakat

Quote from: Elennare on September 11, 2008, 10:19:17 AM
Quote from: Kate XXXXXX on September 10, 2008, 12:53:05 PM

Hehe.  The "at least" was the operative phrase in my law.  Usually I do it 4 or 5 times, but every once in a while I get lucky and only stab myself once.  Thus the reason I've started avoiding using pins if at all possible.  :)
My mom and I sell longaberger and one of the tricks that they do to keep themselves from getting splinters or stabbed with the tiny tacks is they wrap their fingertips in medical tape. Might work? Personally I would probably only have to tape my middle and index finger because those are ALWAYS the ones that get stabbed although it's probably a murphys law that when you prepare to get stabbed one place you'll get stabbed in another.
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

DonaCatalina

You will spill your pin box once per garment.
Also know as your dog will eat your pin cushion at least once a year leaving sawdust and fabric bits everywhere.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Katie Bookwench

Regardless of how long a piece of fabric is, if JUST ONE INCH of it hangs off the edge of the table (or whatever flat surface you've laid it on), the rest will follow, and it will ALL end up on the floor the moment your back is turned.

This works especially well with the measuring tapes.

And YES...measure twice, cut once? Riiiight.

No no....I can measure THREE times or more, and still manage to bugger it up.   ::) >:(
Katie O'Connell - Hollygrove Library
(aka The Bookwench)
Licensed Wench - IWG Local 57

Adriana Rose

You get that perfect fabric home only to see that it looks like it was cut by a 2 year old! And you end up loosing about a foot of fabric trying to get the damn cut straight!

Lady Rosalind

Ooo... I hate it when that happens! And it always happens when you have JUST enough, if you are careful, to make the project...