News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Murphy's Laws of Sewing

Started by Lady Rosalind, September 09, 2008, 10:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adriana Rose

Yea I had it happen with like 3 differnt peices! I dont get to get fabric that often so I always get enough to cover the projects that I have in my head.

TiaLD77

You have the perfect Idea for Garb! & when you dig in your stash, you realize nothing you already have will do! ::)
I want to play with your head like a drunk kitten:)

ADraeger

If it's expensive, and it's silk, it will slip and muck up everything. :P  My mother has had this misfortune many a time. silk+sewing machines = her nightmare

DonaCatalina

As yee sew, so shall ye rip

so you have to go back and try to refinish that button hole that got waaaay too big.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Taffy Saltwater

If the fabric has a directional pattern, you will cut the biggest part of your garment upside down.

The fabric will go on sale next week.

Your last needle will break w/one seam left to go - at midnight.
Sveethot!

Lady Rosalind

Quote from: Taffy Saltwater on October 19, 2008, 11:26:06 AM
If the fabric has a directional pattern, you will cut the biggest part of your garment upside down.

The fabric will go on sale next week.

Your last needle will break w/one seam left to go - at midnight.

Groan...

I hear you on all of those, especially the last...

You will break, not ONE, but FOUR needles while sewing piping, as when the bobbin runs out, the needle jerks just a tad to the right, and since you are using a piping foot that did NOT come with your machine (as the one that did doesn't make tight enough piping), the needle rams into the piping foot before you can stop. Yes, a whole package of needles for 20 yards of piping (and I used all by about a foot of it!).

DonaCatalina

You will run out of silver seed beads halfway through the sleeve and when you try to buy some more, the color number is the same but the color is obviously different when seen up close.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

RumbaRue

Finding out you are three buttons short and you can't find any more.

Using old grandma's spools of threads and finding they break really easy due to their age.

Not being able to match up your material with the right thread color.

Finding out you're short on material and when you go to buy more, it's all gone.

Not having any more bobbins for thread.

When you make the first few stitches on your machine and it comes out all in a gloppy mess of thread on the underside.

Being Blond means I have the right to walk into any wall.

Hoowil

If you put a project off till the last moment, the cord to the sewing machine will be missing.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Adriana Rose

You lay the baby down for a nap and just as you get started the little stinker wakes up and wants to help!

DonaCatalina

Anything you think will be a simple fix will be long and hard because:
A) The loops on the gimp trim will catch in the foot,
B) Bind up the thread
C) Break the machine needle off inside the machine
D) You have to practically cut away the nest of thread around the needle
E) Your husband will have carried off your thinnest needle nose tweezers
F) And you left your pickup magnet at work.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Artemisia

When you pull out the linen for your current project you realize what you have on hand is not exactly the color you want. Additionally, there is no time to hunt down and purchase the perfect color.

(Orange florentine is now a red-orange florentine) 
Artemisia Moltabocca
You haven't had enough coffee unless you can thread a sewing machine while it's running.

Manwariel

- The one time you burn the fabric with the iron, the garment is for someone else.

- Pattern pieces will always be folded in the most complicated way possible (except for some McCall's patterns, which are simply stuffed into the envelope.

- The patterns never fit back in the envelope after they've been cut out.

- The one time you prick yourself with a pin hard enough to draw blood, then bleed on the fabric, the garment is for someone else.

tigerlilly

You will come up one bone short, necessitating another trip to the hardware store.

One particular commercial pattern company will always have way too much ease (yes, I'm looking at you, Simplicity) and somehow you will always forget this.

You will find a nice pattern but no fabric, or fantastic fabric but no idea what to make from it (can you say "stash"?).  I'm going to start carrying my pattern box around in my car.

You can buy fabric and plan projects much faster than you can actually complete them.  The uncompleted projects and stashed fabric will fill your sewing room until you have to sew elsewhere.

dragongirl

In a theraflu fog you accidentally hem the top of your garment and run the drawstring through the bottom.

And though it's not sewing, in the same theraflu fog you crochet your new sash belt about 4 feet too long and you cannot get that exact dye lot again to correct your mistake.

If you are making something for a special occasion or for someone else you spill(insert fizzy beverage of choice here) on the fabric, causing a discoloration.
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood