News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Dubuque Renaissance Faire - May 31 & June 1

Started by Lady Rosalind, May 11, 2008, 10:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Rosalind

Didn't want folks to forget about this one!

Dubuque Renaissance Faire
Saturday, May 31 and Sunday, June 1, 2008
at Storybook Hill Children's Zoo
12345 N. Cascade Rd. (FDR Park, 2 miles outside of city)
Dubuque, IA  52003
(563) 557-1851
Open Rain or Shine, 10:00 AM until 5:00 PM

Come out and join in the fun! This faire is a fund raiser for the Dubuque Museum of Art, and promises to be lots of fun! The vendor information still needs to be updated, as the organizer told me that she has signed about 20 or so vendors as of today.

Who else is planning on attending this faire? We'll be with the royal court: don't forget to attend the weapons talk, and the Ladies' Costume talk. You'll see something SHOCKING if you do...  ;) Please be kind, we ladies cannot hope to match the gentlemen's weapons talk yet, as this is a new show for us (premiering at this faire!).  ;D

Can't wait to meet more R/F folk!

Lady Renee Buchanan

I never thought there would be a Renaissance Faire within 25 minutes of my house!  We usually have to drive between 2 to 4 hours to get to one.

I will be there both days.  One of the days, my friend Sarah will drive up from the Quad Cities to meet me, not sure which one though.  Lord Stephen will attend on Sunday only, due to the restaurant being open on Saturday.  Lord Philip and Lady Kathleen from Olmsted will spend the weekend with us, so they will attend also.

We will look for you, and please be sure to look for us -- the ones wearing the RF pins.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

This should be a fun and great weekend. The Earl and I are looking forward to it.

I will be celebrating my Birthday on 31 May in garb!!!  That will be a first!!! 56 years young!!!
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Lady Rosalind

Just passing along a note from Lynne, the organizer for the Dubuque Renaissance Faire:

QuoteThe Dubuque Renaissance Faire (a fundraiser for the Dubuque Museum of Art) is looking for two things:

1. A few volunteers to help park cars in our parking lot, working a 3 hour shift on either Saturday, May 31st or Sunday, June 1st. Either 9:30 - 12:30 or 12:30 - 3:30. Volunteers get into the faire for free either before or after their shift. I'm thinking 3 or four volunteers per shift will more than do it. The scouts have said no and so have the Boys/Girls club, so I'm turning to rennies to lend a hand, if they can!

2. A volunteer to be in charge of our First Aid booth. This person should have some medical experience. This is a much bigger responsibility, and interested folks should contact me. If I can find two or more folks who want to do this, you can spell each other and enjoy the festival during your off hours. The perfect folks to do this would be individuals who volunteer at other faires doing First Aid.

I hope to hear from interested folks ASAP, as we are just under two weeks away from our festival. Otherwise, things are shaping up nicely and we all hope to have a terrific first year faire, and make some money for the Museum!

If you can help out, please email lynne (at) festint.com
Thanks!!!!  ;D

Lady Rosalind

Wanted to bump this thread - just a couple of days left until the Dubuque Faire! ;D Getting really excited!

Lady Renee Buchanan

Just returned from the Dubuque Renaissance Festival.  Had a great time!  What a wonderful little faire, very nice for the first day ever!

Looking forward to returning tomorrow.  I'd suggest to anyone in the Western Illinois - Southern Wisconsin -- Iowa area to try to make it on Sunday.  It was a lot of fun!
A real Surf Diva
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

What an enjoyable time! A well done faire indeed!!

Photos forthcoming.

Lady Rosalind

Atthefaire.com has the Dubuque Photo Gallery up now! Here is a link to a photo of a few familiar faces:

Lady Kathleen of Olmstead, and Lady Renee Buchanen

More great photo collections from this faire:

Digital Dubuque

Dubuque Ren Faire flickr set

We had an incredible time at this faire! This was our first faire of the season, and it really has lit a fire under all of us for this fall's Des Moines Faire.

We, as a court, love to get out and talk with folk, and I really enjoy talking clothing with so many people this year. What also excited us was that so many people who attended this faire had never been to a renaissance faire before, and didn't really know what to expect. Smiles, smiles, smiles, on all faces!

We had rafts of older folk, and they were thrilled to participate in shows, dance with us, and I even had an elderly gentleman ask if the knighting ceremony was only for little kids - I told him that the King would be thrilled to knight him! I am so glad that we were part of this!  ;D

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Lady Rosiland!!

What a pleasure to meet you. Your attyre was absolutely stunning. Everyone was so welcoming, gracious, and what a great time we had.

The photos are lovely indeed. Hope this goes again for another year. You never know, this could be a new tradition for rennies in Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin, etc.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

The Ladies Kathleen and Renee enjoying the day together at the Dubuque Renaissance Faire.

After returning to downtown Galena to stroll down Main Street where a Community Arts Faire was taking place, we caused quite a stir amongst Shop Owners, Artists displaying their wares, and tourists alike on 31 May. What fun it was.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Lady Rosalind

What wonderful pictures!!!!! It was such a fun weekend, and your photos bring it all back!  ;D

Lady Renee Buchanan

Lady Rosalind,

Please pass on Steve and my congratulations to the organizers of this event.  This was a great faire, and I don't mean a great faire for the first time, I mean a great faire.  It is really incredible that this is the first year, because the professionalism of the cast, entertainment, and merchants was excellent.

Steve went on Sunday -- I went both days -- and we talked about it and feel that it seemed like it had been occurring for longer than once.  It was that good.

For whatever reason, I can't get our pictures on Photobucket to post on the forums anymore.  Have to wait till our computer guru son comes home in August, but once it gets sorted out, I will post my pics.

And your gown is gorgeous!
A real Surf Diva
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 

Lady Rosalind

Lady Renee, I passed along your comment to our good Queen Catherine, who was the main organizer of this event. She'll be so happy to hear that you thought it went well!  :)

Most of the cast members at Dubuque were from the Des Moines Renaissance Faire (not all of our cast members were at Dubuque). This was the first faire of the year for some of them. We have a great cast, and have so much fun together!

Lady Renee Buchanan

Learning how to upload pictures on our new computer.  In the photo: Renee, Gretchen, Jeanne, Kathy.

Gretchen & Jeanne were newbies.  First faire ever, & they borrowed some of my garb.  They're hooked!

A real Surf Diva
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs