News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

OK all you photographers out there................

Started by Mistress Charlotte, May 13, 2008, 03:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerarienh

Yes you CAN purchase the copyright to a photo from a photographer!  I have sold mine that way to more than one peformer or group of performers so that they can use the photos for promotional purposes without having to consult me each and every time.

There are different types of copyright releases:

Exclusive Use and Transfer of Ownership of Original Artwork
Under these terms, the photographer does not retain the rights to use images produced for the client.
ALL rights & ownership are transferred to the client.

Multiple Use and Transfer of Ownership of Original Artwork
Under these terms, the photographer retains the right to use the images through the use of duplication of images, but all other rights and ownership of selected artwork are transferred to the client.

Multiple Use Copyright Release for Print Publication
Under these terms, the photographer retains the rights to use these images as well as ownership of original artwork, but the client may use the selected images in print publication without paying for individual use.

Single Specified Use Copyright Release for Print Publication
This is the most affordable option for print publication - client licensees the use for one single specified publication, photographer retains all other rights.

Unlimited Time Copyright Release for Electronic Transmittal Use
Whether for Internet Use, Email programs, Power Point Presentations or similar electronic transmittal,
this release provides the client with the rights to use and reuse an image, for an unlimited period of time.

Single Specified Use for Electronic Transmittal
Also for Internet Use, Email programs, Power Point Presentations or similar electronic transmittal,
this release provides the client with the rights to use an image or set of images, for a Single Specified Use for one year.

Other Specified Uses
Some examples being images used for billboards, product packaging, trade show booths, television or any other"specialty" use that is not Print Publication or Internet Use.

This is the most common that I use:

Photography Copyright Release

(Date)

To Whom It May Concern: My name is Cerarienh Hess.  I am the owner, photographer, and copyright holder of all images taken by myself of (NAME) on (DATE OF SHOOT).

I hereby grant (NAME) my permission to make unlimited printed or developed photographs, for their personal use, using this CD-ROM (ID # OF CD) of a photoshoot in which he/she was the model.  If you should have any questions regarding the authenticity of this document or the terms herewith, please contact me.

Sincerely,

Cerarienh Hess (photographer and copyright holder)
www.cerasportfolio.ifp3.com
cerarienh@hotmail.com
(phone number)

BCH

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html

There are quite a few myths about copyrights.. it is best to start at the source for a better understanding of how they work.

DeadBishop

Quote from: Lady Caroline on August 22, 2008, 10:09:10 PM
Can someone explain to me, why a vendor can post a sign, specifying NO PHOTOGRAPHY? 

Being that many vendors are artists, the reason I hear the most is to protect original works of art and designs.  That way people can't photograph them and attempt to copy their work.  I always ask vendors before I start shooting in or around their booths to make sure it's okay with them first because of this.

R/F.com member since 2003

Xanthenes The Unbalanced

Quote from: Deadbishop on August 22, 2008, 11:37:46 PM
Quote from: Lady Caroline on August 22, 2008, 10:09:10 PM
Can someone explain to me, why a vendor can post a sign, specifying NO PHOTOGRAPHY? 

Being that many vendors are artists, the reason I hear the most is to protect original works of art and designs.  That way people can't photograph them and attempt to copy their work.  I always ask vendors before I start shooting in or around their booths to make sure it's okay with them first because of this.

I couldn't agree more.  A photograph should be capture a moment or a confluence of circumstances in a given moment.  What it should not do is merely copy someone else's artistic work. 
(This space for rent)

Professor M

There is more to this issue than simply the copyright of the photograph.  If it is a scene, or involves the general public, that issue is already covered.  But what about stage acts and street cast?  Those people are performers doing their job, and they have a right to their own likeness.  To use AbleArcher's example, if you take a picture of San Diego the Magician doing his signature act, I don't belive you are legally able to sell the photographs without his permission.
"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~ C.S. Lewis

Cyron

and all that copyright stuff is one of the reasons its just a hobby for me.. yeah paid hobby from time to time for friends and families and what not events (ie: pay for my gas and feed me and i do there weddings or birthday parties or what ever so they dont have to pay for a professional) .. but once i take a photo.. if its of you and you want it.. boom its yours.. do as you please with it.. but like i said its just a hobby for me.
I'm walking in a dream half the time, and sleeping through reality the other half.
Warning: Have camera, WILL Shoot!!