News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Valhalla Renaissance Faire

Started by willin, May 12, 2008, 02:24:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

willin

The Valhalla Renaissance Faire
South Lake Tahoe, CA

Two Weekends - May 31st/June 1st & June 7th 8th

http://www.valhallafaire.com/
GOT FEET ?

Lady Toadflinger

Huzzah! Valhalla begins next weekend! Is anybody going? Grapesfuzzy, are you still reading these forums? How about you, Northbaydreamer? My friends and family are looking forward to next Sunday's Faiire.  Join us in South Lake Tahoe!
keeper of the royal menagerie

Hoowil

I had been planning on going, but alas, fate has decided to spend my money elsewhere.  :(
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Lady Grape

Oh yea still reading and trying to keep up.  Going to Valhalla is now up in the air due to a lot of family stuff. We are still hoping but it looks doubtful.
Be the change you want to see.

Merry

Valhalla was great last weekend!  I can't wait until Friday and can get back up there.  The weather was beautiful, not too hot and a lovely breeze floating thru our guildyard.  I played with Royal White Eagle and, fortunately, the Princess did not see me across the way in jail ( I was innocent, I swear!). ::)

If you visit, come by and say Hi!

Merry

NorthBayDreamer

Our cadre of 4 were there on Saturday the 7th.  We had a blast (as usual).  I am working on posting my pics and a full trip report and should have that ready in a few days.

Lord Lisle (when a Nobel)
Horndog (when a Pirate)
Master Thomas Boddinham (when a middle)
Landshark No. 67

cassietheig

Our group was up on the 7th & 8th, and what fun we had. I really enjoyed camping so close to faire! I can't wait for the dates for 2009 to come out so I can make my reservations!

NorthBayDreamer

Horndog (when a Pirate)
Landshark No. 67

Valiss

Ok I just saw this so I've completely missed this faire.  Just curious though, was the weather smokey up there during faire?

Merry

Quote from: valiss on July 07, 2008, 12:01:08 PM
Ok I just saw this so I've completely missed this faire.  Just curious though, was the weather smokey up there during faire?

No.  The fires hadn't started yet.  But we got the smoke at Fair Oaks!

Valiss

Oh ok, cool.  Tahoe is such a nice area for a faire; one of these years I'll make it up there. for faire  And I just saw the thing for Fair Oaks, so I missed that one too! 

NorthBayDreamer

Actually the fire last summer was the scary one, I think it burned more than 200 homes in the South Lake Tahoe area.  It came very close to burning into Camp Richardson (the site of the faire).

Horndog (when a Pirate)
Landshark No. 67

Valiss

Yeah there are too many fires going on right now.  Well next faire is SLO Faire so that should be smoke free (even if a little warm).

ahren_b

I just made our camping reservations for the second weekend of this faire. We went last year (2008) for the first time and had a blast! I think what makes this one so much fun is the option of camping so close to the event. We met lots of great people last year and I am really looking forward to it again!

I think I'm going to bring my projector and show movies by the campfire Friday and Saturday nights, anyone have any suggestions? So far I have Monty Python The Holy Grail, Robin Hood Men in Tights, The Princess Bride, and maybe Excalibur.

Merry

Quote from: ahren_b on February 25, 2009, 08:43:20 PM
I just made our camping reservations for the second weekend of this faire. We went last year (2008) for the first time and had a blast! I think what makes this one so much fun is the option of camping so close to the event. We met lots of great people last year and I am really looking forward to it again!

I think I'm going to bring my projector and show movies by the campfire Friday and Saturday nights, anyone have any suggestions? So far I have Monty Python The Holy Grail, Robin Hood Men in Tights, The Princess Bride, and maybe Excalibur.

LadyHawke, with Matthew Broderick, Rutger Hauer and Michelle Pfieffer.  Great movie!

NorthBayDreamer

We are planning on doing both weekends.  The first weekend with guild and the second weekend with friends.

Horndog (when a Pirate)
Landshark No. 67

chainshot

Hi there!  We are planning to attend the second weekend due to prior commitments at the Modesto Highland Games on the first.

NorthBayDreamer

We will be there the 2nd weekend.  We booked a hotel room at Camp Richardson.

At this point, it is our next faire, now only a few weeks away.  I can't wait.
Horndog (when a Pirate)
Landshark No. 67

Hoowil

We're planning on a day trip on the 30th. First time to Valhalla, and we're looking forward to it. No full weekenders for a little while longer, with 2 little ones in tow now...
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Hoowil

This was our first time at Valhalla. What a great faire! We kept our visit to just the first Saturday, since we were just far enough to need to get a room for a night, but too close to not want to let the kids get home. As usual, keeping track of a wandering 2 year old kept us from catching too much of the performers :(, but I was impressed with the number of smaller stages that seemed nestled in just about everywhere. We did catch some of Tartanic, which was a must as you could hear them pretty much everywhere and my daughter loves pipes, and demanded to go watch. What really caught our eye was the number of people in garb! I don't know if it was the cooler weather, or the threat of rain that kept the crowds mainly those in garb or what, but I have never been to a faire where those in garb were such a huge majority. And the setting was wonderfull. I loved all the trees, and kind of wild feel to it all.

I did have a bit of a chuckle at the merchants' expense watching the scramble when it started to sprinkle mid afternoon. People were running about, getting their wares under cover, even the stone carver. Then when it stopped a few minutes later, most of the scrambled to get everything back out.

My daughter was fascinated by the wandering bubble fairie, even if she ran and hid against my leg whenever she tried to talk to her. I thought it was neat when the faerie blew a large bubble into her hand, where she had a clear glass stone hidden, which she was finally able to lure Amara out with. Over the day, Amara was gifted with the faerie bubble, a 'dragon eye', and two 'dragon tears'. I'm going to have to get her a special box for her faire treasures. She also stopped to watch a few merchants who worked on their wares on site, and asked seemingly endless questions. Everyone was good about it, and tried to answer her as best they could, but I felt a little guilty for taking up so much of their time, and not buying much.

This was Tristan's very first faire! And once he came out of the stroller to play, he was the beau of the ball. We couldn't go more than a few steps without getting stopped by somebody. We even found one of the vendors had little renfant hats.

Lady Toadflinger

What beautiful pixies you two have! They are lucky to get to grow up at faires, too!
I'm glad you enjoyed Valhalla, Hoowil. I live near Placerville, so consider it one of my "home faires", and really love the atmosphere at  Lake Tahoe.  I think this faire has a special feeling that I can't pin down, but the location is only a part of that feeling.  I am really looking forward to next weekend, when we will have a party of eight staying at a friend's house in South Lake Tahoe. We will be invading  Camp Richardson on Saturday!  Huzzah!!!
keeper of the royal menagerie

NorthBayDreamer

OK, I am packed and ready. We head up tomorrow night, straight from work.  We are doing both days.   

I am soooo ready.
Horndog (when a Pirate)
Landshark No. 67