News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

I KNOW YOU WILL ALL "GET" THIS.................

Started by Gwenwhistle, September 11, 2008, 08:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey- Arent You?

I'll go a bit farther and tell you all how much fun it is to go to the zoo, or the mall, or any number of places, garbed, in character.

over the top, hell no, not me.   ;D
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing"
~Edmund Burke

Sir Michael Geare

Quote from: Hey- Arent You? on December 06, 2009, 05:28:59 PM
I'll go a bit farther and tell you all how much fun it is to go to the zoo, or the mall, or any number of places, garbed, in character.

over the top, hell no, not me.   ;D

It is a difference experience.  I have also been to the zoo in my faire outfit and walked the Queen Mary (ship) as well.  Last minute supply runs to the supermarker just before faire is also fun at times.

Now I have also been to faires in mundanes on a few ocassions but prefer to go dressed.  I work the faire circuit in my area and sure, friends see me and question why I'm not dressed.  I don't necessarily feel out of place when with them.  On the other hand, you can take the outfit away from the Rennie but you can't take the character away.  I still find myself speaking and interacting in character even when not dressed in my outfit at faire.

Bottom line, dressed is always better. because you become more a part of the atmosphere.
'The exercising of weapons puts away aches, griefs, and diseases, it
increases strength, and sharpens the wits.'

Hoowil

I can definitely understand why some people may feel uncomfortable garbing up, regardless of how silly we think they're being. My wife, the kids, and I go to multiple faires every year, but even after doing this for years she still gets a little nervous about it for the first faire of the season. Sometimes people don't understand that a good number of people will in fact be in garb, and they don't want to feel out of place, or they feel that they will not fit in with the people in garb, either in action or in quality of garb. Some people may think that all the comments and jokes about things like  'if you can breath its not tight enough' are the way things really are and have to be. They may not understand that that was how people dressed, and no matter what people may be willing to sacrifice for fashion, clothes (especially for peasants and middle class) had to be functional, and in most cases at least bareable. I'm not saying that you shouldn't encourage people to dress, quite the opposite in fact. I think faires would be even better if everyone would go in garb, but that is realistically never going to happen unless they want to not allow people in in mundanes. If you know someone who wants to go, but does not want to go in garb, find out why, and address their particular concerns. By being too pushy, saying go in garb or not at all, you may actually reinforce what fears they have about going in garb, and about faires in general. For something special, like a birthday celebration, where you want everyone involved to be involved, let them know that you are trying to do something special for that occasion, and make sure they know it is for that occasion only. Liken it to a costume party with a particular theme, if it'll help. Offer to take them on a different faire outing, either before or after, to get the feel of the faire, and the concept of garb. Before would obviously be better, as you could get them to go garbed for the event. If getting someone in particular to go in garb is important to you, let them know, and know why, address whatever fears they have about, be patient, and be willing to accept it if, in the end, its not their thing. The last thing we want or need is another crazy rennie story running around out there.

Back when I was younger, I was a little more active in trying to find a local smith to teach me the craft. I did find one at a local faire one year, who was willing to take me on as apprentice if I could have a 'trial run' at that faire at his forge. However, through absolute bad luck, it was one of the few times I have gone out of garb, and he couldn't let me behind the rope in mundanes. Of course, being of mixed emotion (happy at finding him, and sad at not being able to do it) I was too absent minded to get further contact info to try again later.

Bottom line, it always pays to go in garb, you never know what opportunities may arise.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Lady Renee Buchanan

So this thread has been brought up again after a while..... my question is, did the friend go, and what did she wear?
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich