News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

A feather in your cap

Started by groomporter, September 11, 2008, 08:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

groomporter

Something I wrote some time ago that might be of interest

I remember in my early days when I was active with a Scottish  "living history" group we heard a rumor that someone from the local Scottish community was offended because one of our members had worn some feathers in his "Hieland" blue bonnet when our group appeared at the local Scottis fair and Highland game. There is a tradition that the wearing of eagle feathers on a hat is associated with rank within modern Scottish clan societies, and someone thought that he was passing himself off as the leader of a clan. The following are some notes I made from an article which appeared in The Highlander (Jan/Feb 1987, "Ruffling Their Feathers," by Sir Crispin Agnew of Lochnaw Bt. Rothesay, Herald of Arms) in order to help our members avoid similar faux pas in the future and I thought it might be of interest to others who portray Scots among the Society for Creative Anachronism, or at Renaissance fairs..

Knights wore crests, or feather plumes on their helmets, and clansmen sometimes wore a sprig of a plant associated with their clan in their bonnet as a mark of their allegiance especially during battles. In time before standardized uniforms this was and important sign on the battlefield. This tradition is continued by modern regimental cap badges, and colored plumes which are easily recognized at a distance. The Royal Highland Fusiliers wear white feathers, the Black Watch wear red, and the Queen's Own Highlanders wear blue. But leaders needed a more distinctive marker to stand out among his followers.

As early as circa 1660 a portrait in the Scottish National Portrait Gallery of a "Highland Chieftain" shows just a plume of white feathers, and is said to be the 1st Earl of Breadalbane. But the tradition for clan chiefs to wear 3 eagle feathers seems to date from sometime in the late 1700's. By the 1800's portraits of clan chiefs began portraying the now traditional 3 eagle feathers, Raeburn's portrait of "The MacGregor" is the best known example.

The conventions understood today are that "chiefs of clans and names" are entitled to wear 3 eagle feathers (-or at least simulated eagle feathers, here in the U.S. since owning, buying or trading parts of birds of prey is banned.) These are persons who have, or can have recognition from Britain's Lord Lyon as being officially "Chief of the Name and Arms of ___." Some of the chiefs of substantial branches of clans are also officially recognized in this manner and may also wear the 3 feathers.

The eldest son and heir apparent, or the heir presumptive (the next likely heir if there is no eldest son, -a brother, uncle, or cousin) of the chief is entitled to wear 2 feathers. The heads of principal branches of a clan, who have been long recognized as owning a substantial part of the clan lands may also wear the 2 feathers. These are also lairds of the clan, or principal cadets, which in times of war would have commanded one of the clan companies.

In general, one feather may be worn by any "gentleman" of a clan -those who actually have their own Scottish coats of arms. In other words, the person who actually inherited the coat of arms, not someone who simply has a last name associated with that coat of arms.

This is traditional convention, and not Scottish law, and it does not seem to have been relevant during the periods portrayed at Renaissance fairs, or by the SCA. However, even if you portray a clan chief as a Renaissance fair performer, or as a historical reenactor, it is best to avoid wearing 2, or especially 3 feathers in your bonnet when attending a modern Highland games, or St. Andrew's Society event so as to avoid offending members of modern clan heritage societies. It may seem a little petty, but leaders of local Scottish clan societies are often on the boards for such events, and it is sometimes best to avoid ruffled feathers that might prevent you, or your group from being contracted to appear at the event in the future.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Frederic

'and clansmen sometimes wore a sprig of a plant associated with their clan in their bonnet as a mark of their allegiance especially during battles.'

Hmm ... maybe that's why my old clan (the Morrisons of Lewis) didn't do so well against the McLeods and the McCaullays - the Morrison clan symbol is a piece of driftwood (its a long story - you can look it up).  So they went into battle with hunks of weather-beaten wood tied to their bonnets!  No wonder they lost!
Merchant of the Hansa, Procurer to the Queen, and complete scoundrel