News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Ideas, Names, Etc.

Started by rengypsy, September 14, 2008, 08:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rengypsy

Twenty years ago, i put a backpack on and hitchhiked across Europe.  After a week or so in London, we put our thumbs out and were headed to Scotland.  After an hour on the highway, a couple picked us up...and offered us their backyard in Derbyshire to camp.  By the time we got to their house, they invited us in their home...where we learned first hand what British hospitality was all about.  They are to this day some of my dearest friends and extended family.  We travel with them and their family from time to time.  He was every bit an English Gentleman from Yorkshire.  She was an absolutely fabulous lady from Nottinghamshire.  They took us all over the midlands for two weeks.  It  was my first exposure to Nottingham and the oldest pub, Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem, as well as one which we frequented closer to their home, The Three Stags.  They also took us to several celtic stone circles in that area.  One of which will find its way to Sherwood Forest Faire--The Seven Sisters. 

Yesterday, I received a call from them...as they were concerned about how we weathered hurricane Ike.  When we assured them all was fine in our neck of the woods, though the coast was hit hard, our discussion turned to Sherwood Forest Faire. 

Bill informed me he has been thinking of names we can use for the Faire.  One is Penny Pinch Market--one famous in London.  He also said he is planning to present us on the opening day with a proclamation from the current Sheriff of Nottingham.

If that's not cool, I don't know what is.

To you now:  if you have historic names of English (and especially, Midland England) names for paths, roads, pubs, markets, etc...please post them.

Rengypsy

ps. walked the land this afternoon.  I am beginning to "SEE" the faire layout.
it's all about the journey and the people we choose to make the journey with

Tanyor

I love how your using some history.

I think this one would be fun..

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, which is found in Anglesey, North Wales. Known as Llanfair P.G for short, the name means 'St Mary's church in the hollow of the white hazel near the rapid whirlpool of Llantysilio of the red cave.'

Blakehopeburnhaugh (Northumberland)

This little farmstead hamlet can be found in the Redesdale Forest, and is the longest place name in England with a total of eighteen letters. Situated near the confluence of the River Rede and the Blakehope Burn, the name is of Anglo-Saxon origin and means Black valley stream with flat riverside land.

rengypsy

i travelled thru that place in north wales.  tried to write down the name, but the ink ran out in my pen...so i just grabbed a pint or two and thought, "what a hell of a name to fit on a scantron"...

it's all about the journey and the people we choose to make the journey with