News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Smoking ban??

Started by Marilou, September 10, 2008, 09:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marilou

G'day all you wonderful people!

Can anyone answer how the PA State smoking ban will affect PRF?? I've been blessed with promo tickets for the remaining three weekends, but will not waste the gas if I'm not permitted to enjoy the days and the beers simply because no accommodation has been made for my addiction. (A violation of the Federal Americans with Disabilities Act IMO.)

Scotsman

Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

PurpleDragon

What is the EXACT wording of the ban?  Does it effect outside venues?  Does the faire count as a "private club" if they are excluded? 
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

anne of oaktower

As yet there is no smoking ban at the Pgh RF.  Many people have loitered outside of Morgan's Bounty to finish a smoke before entering...and we are grateful that they do, for it is a wooden ship after all, and we are land-locked in the woods.  (How our good Captain, Charity Morgan, managed to land the ship in the woods is still a puzzle to me.  LOL!)

As a former smoker, I completely understand the need for a tobacco fix, but please do us the favor of disposing of your butts in the trash (after they are completely extinguished), so our wonderful faire will remain beautiful, as always. 
aka: Oak-hearted Annie / Anne of Oak Barrel / Barefoot Annie

"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

Terry Griffith

I have spent quite a bit of time Googling the PA smoking ban since the original question.  Of course, there is nothing that specificallly fits the description of an outdoor event that sells beer and food in an inclosed private area.  Even if it did, the interpretation would be the call of the faire management.  That would be the place to go for an answer.  Use the email or phone numbers on the web page and let them answer the question.

If you do get a definate answer, mahaps you would be kind enough to relate it here so others can prepare.

Patches work surprisingly well for most people for long flights and so forth so you might be able to abstain for the day with one.  Also, the faire does have a "Pass out" policy so you can step outside the gate or to your vehicle.

Scotsman, the "Pass out" policy does not mean sleeping in the pub.
"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

Marilou

Googled the Clean Indoor Air Act for the State (actually Commonwealth) of Pennsylvania.

"Sports or recreational facility, theater or performance establishment exception"

"The CIAA does not permit smoking in a sports or recreational facility nor in a theater or performance establishment.  The CIAA provides an exception to permit smoking with the confines of the facility in a designated outdoor smoking area.

The Department recommends that the designated outdoor smoking area be located away from entrances or openings to the facility, be clearing identified as the designated smoking area by appropriate and prominent signage and that receptacles for ash and tobacco products are provided."

PRF would not qualify as a private club.

As an outdoors person I 'field dress' a butt and dispose of it properly. Littering is forbidden and I hate that most smokers don't think of butts as litter. The nicotine alone is a poison to flora and fauna. A still-lit flicked butt a danger in any area. Please don't lump all smokers in the inconsiderate column.

Mistress Charlotte

Colorado is a smoke free state.  At faire we are required to post "no smoking" signs inside of our buildings.  I have done so as well at PRF.  People do smoke at Colorado along the lanes and such... There are "smoking areas" in Colorado and we are supposed to let people know but how do you do that????  so it really is pretty much moot.  People are going to smoke..... as long as it is not within the confines of a building, i don't think there is a problem....

Cause, "Cake or death?" That's a pretty easy question.
Anyone could answer that.
"Cake or death?"
"Eh, cake please."

PurpleDragon

Quote from: Marilou on September 10, 2008, 11:02:07 AM
Googled the Clean Indoor Air Act for the State (actually Commonwealth) of Pennsylvania.

"Sports or recreational facility, theater or performance establishment exception"

"The CIAA does not permit smoking in a sports or recreational facility nor in a theater or performance establishment.  The CIAA provides an exception to permit smoking with the confines of the facility in a designated outdoor smoking area.

The Department recommends that the designated outdoor smoking area be located away from entrances or openings to the facility, be clearing identified as the designated smoking area by appropriate and prominent signage and that receptacles for ash and tobacco products are provided."

PRF would not qualify as a private club.

From reading this description, I would think this would be applicable to an enclosed facility such as an arena or a theatre.  I do not think it would apply to an open air event as there is technically plenty of "airflow" to keep the smoke from just "hanging" in the air.
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

jayadancer

I'd say that many of you will be smokin' regardless!   ;)
~The Mystic Deliria, The Madness Amorous~

anne of oaktower

Quote from: Marilou on September 10, 2008, 11:02:07 AM
As an outdoors person I 'field dress' a butt and dispose of it properly. Littering is forbidden and I hate that most smokers don't think of butts as litter. The nicotine alone is a poison to flora and fauna. A still-lit flicked butt a danger in any area. Please don't lump all smokers in the inconsiderate column. 

No worries.  I believe we've all encountered enough inconsiderate people (regardless of vice or habit) to recognize the considerate ones when they come along.   :)

Terry Griffith

Quote from: jayadancer on September 10, 2008, 11:37:25 AM
I'd say that many of you will be smokin' regardless!   ;)

Why not?  All our dancers are "smokin'".
"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

Professor M

Quote from: Terry Griffith on September 10, 2008, 02:19:07 PM
Quote from: jayadancer on September 10, 2008, 11:37:25 AM
I'd say that many of you will be smokin' regardless!     ;)

Why not?  All our dancers are "smokin'".

Damn!  Terry, you beat me to it.

I have the evening news on here, and they just gave a list of places that are exempt from the smoking ban.  Among the qualifications for exemption is "places where food sales are less than 25% of total sales."  That should be enough to keep us exempt.
"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~ C.S. Lewis

Marilou

My reading of the Act is that the 25% (I thought it was 20%) of food sales exemption applies to bars/taverns etc which I understand a few are taking advantage of (creative bookkeeping 101?) Sports facilities are open-air, but are included in the Act. Kennywood has gone smoke-free with smoking 'areas' I've heard. As private clubs the Fairhaven Beneficial Society in Whitehall and the Willock Social Club in Baldwin have their exemption papers post marked before tonight's deadline (willing to get sponsers for any new comers) Post 1810 Brentwood of the VFW is as confused as the State VFW Adjutant so may or may not get exempted in time. It would be so much easier if they, the government, just let economics rule and let business owners decide.

A bit afeared to email the PTB (don't want to plant any ill seeds) Going to give PRF a try this weekend and see what happens. Ya'll are probably right. You are right about the smokin' dancers and you haven't led me wrong before.

anne of oaktower

Soooo....I've had my nose planted so deeply in a text book lately that I didn't even realize that this question arose because the smoking ban was actually going to go into effect in many places today.   (Sorry - when I'm in school, very little gets through the homework haze in my brain.)  I got a call earlier from my daughter because her friends are freaking out over the fact that our campus is now smoke-free.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out, especially for places like our beloved faire.

Higgins

I know that this is not a direct interpretation of the law passed in your state, but in Ohio (with strict ant-smoking laws) the Great Lakes faire (and ORF) allows smoking in open air areas. I'm sure there may be some differences from state to state but I have never had any problems.