News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Brewing, Mead-Making, Cordial / Loki Recipes

Started by Magister, May 12, 2008, 07:56:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magister

Welcome to the RF.com Brewing Recipe Book

(Kind of like a cookbook, but for booze!)

This thread is for everyone to post their favorite brewing recipes. It doesn't matter if it is for meade, wine, cordials, or beer. As usual, just a few rules to help keep everything straight.

Rules for Posting

1. This thread is for recipes ONLY. Please do not post comments about the recipes, or chat in this thread. Also, please do not post requests for recipes here.  Your post will be deleted.  A general chat thread about brewing can be found at: http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=363.0

2. You must be 21 years old (or the appropriate age in your country) to make these drinks. They do contain alcohol (otherwise, what's the point?). If you are not "legal" (and even if you are!), RF.com is not responsible for your actions.

3. Have Fun!

Mag
Crafting Forum Moderator

**Note**

I am not the only one who can post in this thread ;) If you have a RECIPE and think others might enjoy making it please feel free to post it here.  I try to pick up recipes I see from other threads, but I probably don't catch them all.
Magister
Moderator: Crafting Corner, Buy + Sale + Trade

Magister

Well to kick it off: Basic Meade:

This recipe assumes you are using a five gallon fermentation bucket.

Tools

5 gallon fermentation bucket w/ lid and airlock
Siphon
Hydrometer
5 gallon glass carboy, w/ plug and airlock
large pot(s)
handheld strainer
long handled mixing spoon / stick
*patience
*taste buds

Ingredients

5 gallons of water
12.5 pounds of honey (equals 2.5 pounds per gallon of water)
2 pounds of granulated cane sugar
Brewers yeast (champagne, wine, dry or liquid)

Optional

Orange Peels
Cracked Nutmeg
Whole Cloves
Cinnamon sticks

Optional Spice Packet Instruction

Some people like to add a little spice to their meade. To do this take a 6" x 6" square of cheese cloth or muslin in the center put some cracked nutmeg, orange peels, broken cinnamon sticks, or whole cloves to taste (warning.. don't over do the cloves or cinnamon!)

Use some sewing thread to tie the square in to a little pouch. This can then be added to the fermentation bucket to infuse the meade with the spices.

Instructions

Bring a large (or several large) pots of water to boil, slowly add the honey while constantly stirring. Use a small strainer to skim the top of the water to remove any scum, honey comb, or debris. This process can take up to 30 minutes or more for all the residue to boil out of the honey.

Once no more debris is boiling to the topturn off heat and let honey water sit to cool. Use a candy or meat thermometer to ensure water temp is below 95 degrees F before continuing otherwise the temp will kill the yeast.

Once the water is cool enough, pour the honey water in to the fermentation bucket (make sure you cleaned and disinfected it first!)

Use the hydrometer to check what the current sugar level of the mixture is. A measure of 1.1 or higher is good to start for a sweet meade. The higher the number the sweeter the meade, lower the dryer.

Add the granulated sugar slowly while stirring and stopping periodically to check levels with the hydrometer. Once satisfied move on to the next step.

If you have made a "spice packet" add it to the mixture now. Stir gently.

At this point you want to activate your yeast by following the instructions that came with it. Most dry yeasts want you to mix the yeast with a small amount of warm water. Once activate, add the yeast to the bucket and stir gently..

Put the lid securely on the bucket, and affix the airlock (make sure you put the tsp. of water in it!) and place the bucket in a warm / room temperature shaded place to ferment. The bucket should not be on the floor, or completely out of sunlight. It should not get over 100 degrees, or below 70 as this will affect the yeast.

After a day or two you should hear the airlock bubbling very frequently. If not, the yeast may have died. Add more yeast.

On about the second day of fermentation begin checking the meade once a day with the hydrometer. You will notice the sugar level decreasing. This means the alcohol content is rising!

For a sweet meade you will want to stop the fermentation around 1.06-1.07.. for a drier meade let it go until 1.04 or so. The longer it ferments the higher the alcohol... but the drier it gets. The art is in finding the right balance.

No more than a week in to fermentation remove and throw away the spice packet.

Use a yeast killer to stop the fermentation when ready, and siphon the meade to a glass (cleaned, disinfected) carboy for clearing. Add any clearing agents you would like to help speed up the process. When racking be sure to not siphon the dead yeast that has settled on the bottom of the fermentation bucket.

Once a day at least turn the carboy to knock any sediment adhering to the glass loose. After about the third day, begin siphoning off a small bit of meade from the top in to a clear glass to check clarity.

You may may to after a week siphon out of the carboy (back to the bucket?), dump the sediment, and back to the carboy to continue clearing.

Once satisfied with the clearing... it's time to bottle.. this is a process in itself.. but you now have some "green" meade!

If you can wait.. bottle it, and set it age.. if not.. happy drinking!

Once bottled the amount of time meade needs to age before it reaches it fullness varies on who you ask. I tend to go with the 6 month rule. Everything beyond that is a bonus, and I rarely notice much of a difference.

Any questions please feel free to Ren Mail me. Hope this is helpful to someone!

- Mag
Magister

Magister

Report From the Old Board.  A little hard to read, but it's all here.

DonaCatalina

Raspberry wine:

Crush fruit into stainless steel vat with floating lid. After one week filter seeds and stems from juice.
Add one tablespoon of high-fructose corn syrup for every quart of juice. Raspberries are lower in sugar than grapes and need a little help.
Allow juice to ferment for six months and filter again.
Chill wine in vat to just above freezing.
Allow wine to ferment an additional month, filter and bottle.

gillianmcgill

Here's one for what I call "Cloven Fruit":

For one batch (approximately 4 cups)

12 Ounces (1 ½ cups) freshly squeezed orange juice
Scraped and sliced peel of 1 orange (avoid the white pith)
12 Ounces (1 ½ cups) unflavored vodka
1 cup of sugar syrup

As an optional ingredient, I added ½ tablespoon of whole cloves.

After mixing the ingredients in a large glass jar, seal with plastic wrap, put on the
lid, and put away on a dark shelf for 12 weeks. Shake the jar occasionally to keep
the spices and pulp suspended. After that time, strain the sediment and spices out by pouring through a strainer, lined with a plain white paper towel, in to a large measuring cup.
Bottle accordingly. Keep un-refrigerated until opening.

The cordial proved to have a nice citrus "nose", and a warm clove finish. The spice was not overwhelming. I consider this a successful experiment.

Gillian

Captain Conner

PYRATE'S BUMBOO RECIPE

Bumboo: Bumboo was a spicy mix of rum, water, sugar and nutmeg, with cinnamon sometimes substituting for nutmeg. Since pirates put into port more often than naval sailors, they were less prone to scurvy and more apt to a drink with better taste, hence preferring bumboo over grog.

Recipe:
In a shaker, combine two ounces of rum, one ounce of lemon juice, half a teaspoon of sugar, and a quarter teaspoon of nutmeg. Shake well, and serve...

You of course can make LARGE batches of this too!!!!

Malkavian

My best recipe so far: Crown & Claymore "Wee Heavy" (Figures my first post here is beer related)

Ingredients:
8# light powdered malt extract
1# 80L crystal malt
1oz each Fuggle and Kent Goldings whole hops

Process: steep grains in about 3 gallons of water and put on heat. When boil is achieved, pull grains and dissolve malt. Boil for 1hr15min, add both quantities of hops, and boil for another 45 minutes. (YES, very long boil compared to most beers, but the caramelizing of sugars is well worth the time)

After, cool wort as you would with any beer, and add a scottish style yeast (white labs or wyeast, no matter) and prepare for a VERY vigorous fermentation. Once it slows down, some week or ten days, siphon into a carboy for conditioning and promptly forget about it for about five months. After that, bottle, and forget for another two-three months and then it'll not only be ready, but close to perfect. Just take care, if fermentation was complete it'll weigh in at 8% or so, and all the age will make it pretty much not show the strength.

As a sample timeline I brewed this stuff in may 05, bottled in august and started drinking it in lets say early october, and it got better from there.

Malkavian

Finally found what I was looking for! I love this stout recipe--it's by no means perfect but I find people who don't usually take dark beers love it! I brewed it for last year's Charlotte Oktoberfest (Along with 6 or 7 others for my employer) and this was one of the first to run out :)

Malt: 6# Light DME

Steeped Grains:
16oz Chocolate malt
4oz Roasted Barley
12oz Flaked barley

Hops:
1oz Northern Brewer hops @ 45minutes (of a 45 min boil)

Extra stuff:
2tsp Irish Moss @ 20 min
6oz Cocoa nibs in secondary for 2 weeks

Yeast: White Labs 004 Irish Ale

Starting Gravity: ~1.060

I find this brew usually takes a few weeks of conditioning before the cocoa flavor really becomes forward, and more than 2 weeks on the nibs is by no means a bad thing. I have a carboy here that's approaching six or eight months (long story) with them in and it tastes wonderfully smooth & chocolatey.

Magister

As the Holiday season is almost on us, let me share one of my favorite Hippocras recipes. Hippocras is a type of sweetened mulled wine. Perfect for a chilly evening.

Credit for the recipe translation and explanation goes to a gent who calls himself "Lord Frederic Badger" in the SCA. His site can be found at: http://www.badger.cx/brewing/hippocras.html

On his site he writes:

In Gervase Markham's book "The English Housewife" which was originally published in 1615 we find a most delightful recipe which I shall present to you thusly.

"Take a gallon of claret or white wine, and put therein four ounces of ginger, an ounce and a half of nutmegs, of cloves one quarter, of sugar four pound; let all this stand together in a pot at least twelve hours, then take it, and put it into a clean bag made for this purpose, so that the wine may come with good leisure from the spices."

Since, luckily for us, the units of measure used in this recipe have not changed much, we can quickly decipher the recipe.

* 1 Gallon Wine
* 4 Oz. Ginger
* 1.5 Oz. Cracked Whole Nutmeg
* .25 Oz. Cracked Whole Cloves
* 4 Pounds Sugar

Now, what type of wine should we use? Claret did not ring a bell, maybe I am not as well versed with my wines as I should be. A quick scan of the grocery isle yielded no claret, so I turned to a document produced by Raulthufr for his Ithra class on Hippocras. In this document, he redacted a different hippocras recipe by Markham that calls for Claret, and he substitutes Burgundy instead. Finding this was much more readily available, I also used this deep dark red wine.

Now for the confusing part of the recipe ".. and put it into a clean bag made for this purpose". To figure this one out, I found a reference in the glossary under the heading of "Hippocras-Bag" which states that it is "a cloth bag used for filtering hypocras and other drinks". So I decided that Markham was trying to say that you were to strain out the spices and let it age a bit. So I poured the wine that I had dissolved the sugar, and spice into the night before into a strainer covered with a clean cloth. All of the spice bits were caught in the cloth, and the hippocras was poured into several glass jars. At that time I tasted it, and it was delicious. The taste is like that of a sweet wine, with a hint of spices crossed with an expensive liqueur. All in all it was a very rewarding venture into history.

I second that.

Enjoy

- Mag

Magister

[moderator] Reposting this for Fluffy Tail [/moderator]

Fluffy Tail
Royal Tinker#2, Royal Wine Taster,FOKTOP

388 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2007 : 13:01:11

Here is the recipe for a gluhwein I had while in Germany

Syrup
1 ts ground glove
1 ts ground nutmeg
2 ts ground cinnamon
3/4 c sugar
4 c water
1/2 diced orange
1 diced lemon

Boil for one hour
Strain through cloth

Then and syrup to a bottle (750ml) of dry red wine and heat to taste.

It's pretty good on a chill night.
Magister

Baron Doune

I starting doing a beer thing a while back, was going for a step by step thing.

Their is a recipe for Pale Ale there.

And I don't want it to seem that I'm plugging one supplier but the catalog was very complete.

http://www.patsporch.com/beer/beer.html

Magister

All:

Here is a link to a site that provides a ton of recipes and information on making cordials, liquors, and loki (which is just a cordial).

I am not affiliated with the site.... just something I found looking for recipes.  The guy seems to know what he's talking about.

Enjoy.

http://www.guntheranderson.com/liqueurs.htm
Magister

Malkavian

Wow, I'm immortalized in RF.com brewing history ;)

Here's a recipe I laid down about a year ago (haven't tasted yet, as it's still in the carboy)

Equipment (that i used. Feel free to improvise)
3 big food grade buckets, at least one needs to be 6.5 gal capacity or bigger
1 airlock
1 lid for the 6.5gal+ bucket, drilled and grommeted to fit your airlock
nylon mesh bag (pillowcase sized or larger)
pump-start siphon + tubing
camden tablets
sanitizer (star san is my preference)
something to mash with (I used a brand new shovel handle that I happened to have handy)

Step 0) Sanitize EVERYTHING.
Step 1) Crush all your cherries, decanting the juice off into one bucket, and throwing the pulp/pits in another. The way I did this was: Put a pound or two of cherries into the fruit bag, place in "working bucket" , smash a bunch, wring juice out of bag of cherry guts, dump guts into "pulp bucket", pour juice into "juice bucket" and repeat with fresh cherries. 
Step 2) Add "about 9 pounds" (I wasn't feeling technical that day)  of good honey (IMO clover or orange blossom would be good choices. If you can afford that much cherry honey let me know how it turns out :)) to a few gallons of warm water and heat gently until it's all dissolved. Add that to your juice and add additional water to bring the total liquid volume to 5 gallons.
Step 3) (Optional) Add several ounces of tart cherry concentrate syrup and stir to incorporate (And be sure to sanitize whatever you stir with!)
Step 4) Carefully get all your pulp back into the mesh bag, knot it, and lower into the liquid. Crunch up 6 camden tablets and pour that in and put the lid on and attach the airlock.
Step 5) Wait 24hrs.  If you're now feeling technical, use a hydrometer to check the specific gravity and add more honey to bring it up if desired (May or may not be needed depending on your desired %ABV and the sweetness of the fruit)  Dump in a packet of wine yeast (your strain of choice; I used Lalvin K1-V1116 i believe) and an appropriate dosage of yeast nutrient powder
Step 6) Step back and hold tight because this may ferment like crazy.
7) After about a week remove fruit bag, taking care to let liquid all drain back into the bucket. Squeezing a little is fine, don't wring it out.
8 ) After another week, siphon (carefully) out of bucket and into a sanitized 5gal carboy, siphon off a sample and add another few ounces of cherry extract if desired.
9) After another 2 weeks add your clarification agent of choice.  Once sediment has dropped siphon into another 5 gal carboy and let age as per your preference.

Holy cow that ended up being really verbose; sorry bout that but IME winemaking technique tends to vary a WHOLE lot more than beer brewing so I figured too much detail is better than too little.  I'm also doing this from memory, as I haven't done much of any brewing/winemaking in almost a year, so Magister feel free to correct me.

[Magister's Note]

Wow, I completely missed where you said, "Magister ... correct me..." way back in October.  Here I was just looking for something interesting to make and I find that.  Not my place to correct you, man.  As you said, everyone has their way of doing things.  What works for one person may or may not work for another.  These recipes are just guides.  I'm just glad people like you, and the others who have posted have taken their time to share their recipes and experience with everyone.

[End Magister's Note]

Jon Foster

I found this in my archives. I posted it before the old forum went down...

The recipe is: Gift of the Magi Holiday Cyser.

5 Gallons preservative-free apple cider
11 Pounds of clover honey
3 Cinnamon sticks
1 Teaspoon dried orange peel
6 Whole cloves
Red Star Champagne yeast
3/4 Cup corn sugar, for priming

Boil cider, honey cinnamon sticks and cloves together for 60 minutes. Add orange peel with 15 minutes remaining in the boil. Cool, transfer to glass primary fermenter and pitch yeast. Rack to a secondary fermenter after 2 weeks. Bottle with 3/4 cup corn sugar.

The notes say: This Cyser keeps getting better. It ages and matures very nicely. We bottled with priming sugar for a sparkling Cyser. The cinnamon and cloves were not detectable and the orange peel was barely noticeable. This mead has alcohol (14.7%) and makes a nice after dinner drink.

Yield: 5 gallons Starting
SG 1.125
Ending SG 1.014
Fermentation temp. 65 degrees F.

My notes so far: I had a huge boil over when the orange peel was added. Surprised the heck out of me! I'm also doing my primary in my big plastic fermentation bucket. I'll transfer it to a carboy when the fermentation calms down. I also used 6 cinnamon sticks and 12 whole cloves. I couldn't really taste it in the original so I figured what the heck... The original batch I had did not have any priming sugar added to it so I'm not going to do either. It was simply fantastic without being carbonated and lastly, I'm using the cheap honey from Sam's Club again (same as the original). Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Jon.

Jon Foster

Quote from: Captain Kilian on June 09, 2009, 05:24:47 PM
I would really like to try brewing up a peach cider, and one that ends up rather sweet (strange, I know). But I am having some issues finding any peach cider recipe at all! I've had two, so I know they exist commercially, so how hard of a project do you think that would really be?

Try looking for a recipe on Jack Keller's site. He makes some great wines...

Here's his page of requested recipes:

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request.asp

Jon.

Magister

Originally Posted by *Teach* in another thread.  Reposting here so it isn't lost.

On 23 June 2009 at 11:35:35 AM

Basic Loki

To give a starting point is easy, it's the flavorings that make an individual's loki what it truly is
The basic recipe is:
Take 8 cups water and bring to a boil
Add 4 cups sugar and stir until dissolved
Add flavorings (that's the tricky part and the secrets). A common method is to add about 6-8 tsp of whatever extract combination for flavor you want.
Taste. It is important that at this stage you taste for the flavor you want. It needs to have the flavor you want but it must be strong to overcome the alcohol to come.
Remove from heat! (Your risking life and limb if you don't before adding the hooch)
Add a fifth of everclear.

When you first add the everclear, that is pretty much going to be the main flavor but once it has time to blend you should taste only the flavor with only a hint of alcohol in it.

As I said though, that is the base way to make Loki.
I have several loki flavors that I make and only use that formula when I am making traditional loki and one other. The rest are trial and error and error... and error until you get what you want to have.
My most important tip though is the tasting stage. Make sure it is what you want before wasting the booze... keeps the cost down in experimental stages.
Magister

Magister

Reposted from: http://patty.vox.com/library/post/homemade-limoncello-when-life-gives-you-lemons.html

Thanks to: bellevivre, for pointing us to it.

Limoncello

15-20 lemons - clean, unwaxed with nice plump skins. The skins should give off a lemon sent, don't get ones that don't smell heavenly. And try to get organic fresh lemons when you can.

2 (750-ml) bottles 80-proof vodka. The cheaper the better. Or for best results, I try to find Everclear and use one or two bottles of that because it's pure and doesn't have any sugar in it.

2 to 3 cups of water

2 to 4 cups sugar (a 1:1 ratio of sugar to water makes a classic simple syrup, but use more sugar if you want yours a little thicker or sweeter)

For this recipe you also need a large (2-3 litre) glass jar with a sealed lid. The jar should be washed and rinsed very well or sterilized. You don't want anything in your limoncello but what you put there.

I use some old-fashioned sun tea jars I bought at an estate sale just for this purpose. 

You will also need the bottles you want to put the final brew in. I get mine at Cost Plus and I save nice glass bottles from other beverages I've purchased that have good reusable, sealable tops.

I use a three-step process.

Step 1: lemon in alcohol

Wash and dry the lemons. Only use the ones without blemished peels or pare off any spots and the stems, ends.

Remove the peel from the lemons with a sharp peeler or fine grater/zester, carefully avoiding the bitter white pith. If you choose to peel your lemons, please note that if any white pith remains on the back of a strip of peel, scrape it off. If you get any of the white part in the batch, the limoncello will be bitter and you don't want that!

Put the peels in a glass jar and add the vodka and/or Everclear, leaving at least two inches below the top rim. Seal tightly.

Leave the lemons to steep in the jar in a cool, dark place until the peels lose their color, at least 2 weeks. I leave mine for at least 2-3 months. (That's why mine is extra yummy). Every couple of weeks I swirl the peels around in the jar to mix up the oils in the alcohol, plus I don't know if that helps, I just like to check in on it!

Step 2: make the simple syrup and add it. 

Put the water and sugar in a saucepan, stir and slowly heat until it turns clear and all the sugar is dissolved completely. Let the syrup cool.

Put the cooled syrup in the jar with the lemons (you might have to divide the batch into two jars at this point, depending on the size of your jar).

Put the jars back in the closet for at least two weeks. Longer is fine too.

Step 3: strain and bottle

Strain out the lemon peels through a coffee filter or cheesecloth and pour the limoncello into another container. Press down to remove all the vodka and oils that you can from the peels before tossing them in the trash.

Stir the liquid with a clean plastic or wooden spoon.

Put the liqueur in clean bottles, seal tightly and leave the finished bottles for at least 1 week before using. I told you that I use making limoncello as an exercise in practicing patience! 

Should be in your freezer with the other staples!  For best flavor and drinking it straight, store the limoncello in your freezer. It shouldn't freeze because of how much alcohol is in it and it is simply lovely ice cold.

Tips:

The time consuming part is the peeling, but take your time and don't get any of the white underbelly of the skin in the batch. I use a very sharp paring knife or a potato peeler. Lately I've made a few batches using a lemon zester. It's sooooo much easier, but I don't think as much lemon flavor gets in as peeling. However, to compensate for that, I've been adding more lemons to Step #1
Use organic lemons or at least ones you know where they came from. Now that I have more than one everbearing Meyer lemon tree in my backyard, I don't have to worry about chemicals anymore.

Make a big batch at once. Especially if you're letting it steep as long as I do. Once you taste this or give it away to friends, it goes quickly and people will beg you for more. Better to have more on-hand that wait another few months!

You can also make similar liqueurs using other citrus fruits, but I've never tried them myself. "Lime-cello" sounds great to me and could be terrific in cocktails and cooking. (Substitute the peel of limes for the lemon peel. Taste the liqueur for the degree of sweetness you want as you add the syrup.) An orange version might make an appealing alternative to triple sec.

Delicious Uses for Limoncello:

straight up frozen in limoncello shot glasses (best if you put them in the freezer too)
spiking a tall glass of cold lemonade or iced tea
splashed in glasses of champagne
over ice cream or angel food cake
splashed on a fresh fruit mixture
in cranberry juice
in sparkling water, tonic or soda.

Magister

bellevivre

For Reference:

Gode Cookery's page on H/A Beverages:

http://www.godecookery.com/allrec/allrec01.htm

Listed Therein-

*   A cawdle for a sick body - From 17th Century English Recipes.
    * A Hot Mulled Cider - cider & grape juices blended with spices & brandy. From Modern Recipes for Beginners.
    * A Wassail - a version of the traditional Yuletide drink. From Modern Recipes for Beginners.
    * An Old-fashioned Mead - a traditional mead recipe from Russia. From Modern Recipes for Beginners.
    * Anisette - an anise seed cordial. From Modern Recipes for Beginners.
    * Another Plague-water - From 17th Century English Recipes.
    * Apple-Drink with Sugar, Honey, &c. - From 17th Century English Recipes.
    * Byzantine People's Wine - a "faux" wine, perfect for non-alcoholic feasts. From Modern Recipes for Beginners.
    * Clarree - wine mulled with honey and spices. From A Chaucerian Cookery.
    * Clarrey - wine mulled with honey and spices. From A Boke of Gode Cookery Recipes.
    * Clarrey - spiced red grape juice (non-alcoholic version). From Alabama Renaissance Faire 2001.
    * Caudell - wine thickened with eggs. From A Boke of Gode Cookery Recipes.
    * Caudell - a frothy wine or ale-based drink. From Medieval Recipe Translations.
    * Glug - wine mulled with spices, raisins, & brandy. From Modern Recipes for Beginners.
    * Herb Cordial - a cordial of honey and spices. From Modern Recipes for Beginners.
    * Hot Honey Lemonade - a soothing drink with medicinal qualities. From Modern Recipes for Beginners.
    * Kummel - a caraway cordial. FromModern Recipes for Beginners.
    * Pear Cordial - a cordial of pears and spices. From Modern Recipes for Beginners.
    * Potus Ypocras - wine mulled with honey and spices. From A Boke of Gode Cookery Recipes.
    * Potus Ypocras - spiced white grape juice (non-alcoholic version). From Alabama Renaissance Faire 2001.
    * Shield's Tavern Syllabub - a recipe for syllabub from colonial Williamsburg. From Modern Recipes for Beginners.
    * Syllabub - a traditional beverage of cream & Sherry. From Modern Recipes for Beginners.
    * To make Ale drink quick - From 17th Century English Recipes.
    * To make Cider - From 17th Century English Recipes.
    * To make dim bulb-Ale - From 17th Century English Recipes.
    * To make Plague-water - From 17th Century English Recipes.
    * To make Rasberry-Wine - From 17th Century English Recipes.
    * To make Stepony - From 17th Century English Recipes.
    * Wassail Bowl - a Wassail with fried apples as a garnish. From Modern Recipes for Beginners.
    * Weak Honey-drink - From 17th Century English Recipes.
    * Ypocras - wine mulled with honey and spices. From A Chaucerian Cookery.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

MrHyde

This one was my wife's idea and I have to admit.... tasted amazing!!  It is sweet and smooth and the coconut mixed with the banana and brown sugar is amazing.  This is very difficult to filter clear but filtering initially through a wire strainer to remove the solids and then letting it sit allows the sediment to settle.

Ingredients:
3 ripe bananas mashed
1 cup of brown sugar
32 ounces of Bacardi Coconut Rum
1 tablespoon McCormick's Imitation Banana Extract

Directions So Far:
Add the sugar to the jar.  Pour in enough rum to mix the sugar.  Add the banana.  Fill the bottle to 32 ounces with rum.  Shake the jar and put up for 29 days.  Strain through a wire mesh strainer to remove all the banana pieces.  Add the tablespoon of McCormick's Imitation Banana Extract.  Bottle.

Home Faire - Texas Renaissance Festival
Frequent - Scarborough, Four Winds, Sherwood, and Middlefaire as well.

MrHyde

This is a sour vodka.  You can sweeten it with 1 cup of sugar if you prefer.  The color is really nice.

Ingredients:
75 Hershey's Jolly Rancher Blue Raspberry Candies
32 ounces of 80 proof Gilbey's Vodka

Directions:
The candy was added to a mason jar and then the vodka added to the 32 ounce line on the mason jar.  The jar was shook and put up for 29 days.  Then bottle.  There is no need to filter.  The Vodka will eat all of the Hershey's Jolly Rancher Blue Raspberry Candies.

MrHyde

You have to have an open mind on this one.  It is very good.  You will never be able to filter it 100% because particulates of the brown sugar are suspended in the vodka.  It is still smooth and not in anyway grainy or sandy but it will not filter clear.

Ingredients:
3 ripe bananas mashed
1 cup of brown sugar
1 tablespoon of McCormick's Imitation Banana Extract

Directions:
Add the brown sugar and enough vodka to mix it.  Then add the banana and top off the jar with vodka.  Shake the jar and put up for 29 days.  During the 29 days shake often to keep the brown sugar from resettling to the bottom.  The mashed banana will suspend in the mixture.  Strain the vodka through a wire mesh strainer to remove all the mashed banana.  Add the tablespoon of McCormick's Imitation Banana Extract and bottle.

MrHyde

I am calling this a cordial personally because it is a mix of Vodka and Rum.  It is really good and it picks up an incredible amount of flavor from the fresh Strawberry's.  As you see in the picture it picks up a lot of color as well.  Pour equal amounts of the cordial with equal amounts of club soda over plenty of ice and enjoy.

Ingredients:
Strawberries cut
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of 80 proof Gilbey's Vodka
1 cup of 80 proof James's Harbor Caribbean Style Rum
1 tablespoon of Adam's Imitation Strawberry Extract

Directions:
Add the sugar to the jar.  Pour in the vodka and rum.  Shake the jar to mix it.  Add strawberry pieces until the jar is full to the 32 ounce mark.  Shake the jar until the sugar incorporates into the liquid.  Let the jar sit for 29 days.  Strain the strawberry pieces out.  Add the tablespoon of Adam's Imitation Strawberry Extract and bottle.  You can filter it if you prefer to have no sediment in it but it will be a very slow process.  The drink is by no means thick but some strawberry seeds will break off the pieces and be in the liquid.

MrHyde

Ingredients:
32 ounces of 80 proof Popov Vodka
100 Great Value Peppermint Starlight Mints

Directions:
Place 100 Great Value Peppermint Starlight Mints into a 32 ounce sealable jar. Pour 80 proof Popov Vodka in the jar to the 32 ounce line. Cap the jar and shake.

The Popov Vodka will dissolve the Great Value Peppermint Starlight Mints but will create a syrup in the vodka so every day flip the jar so that the syrup can be absorbed by the vodka. Let the jar sit in this way for 23 days. The Great Value Peppermint Starlight Mints should be dissolved fully into the Popov Vodka.

Filter the new Peppermint Infused Vodka through coffee filters and bottle.

MrHyde

I was surprised that only 50 candies was able to produce a cordial that tastes exactly like a Grape Jolly Rancher.  If you love grape candy you have to make a batch of this.  You will not be disappointed.

Ingredients:
50 Hershey's Jolly Rancher Grape Candies

Directions:
Place 50 Hershey's Jolly Rancher Grape Candies into a 32 ounce sealable jar. Pour 80 proof Popov Vodka in the jar to the 32 ounce line. Cap the jar and shake. The Popov Vodka will dissolve the Hershey's Jolly Rancher Grape Candies. Let the jar sit shaking often for 23 days. The Hershey's Jolly Rancher Grape Candies totally dissolve so there is no need to filter.  Just bottle the new Grape Infused Vodka.

MrHyde

Tastes exactly like a Butterscotch Disc.  As stated in the recipe it is slightly thicker than the normal thickness of Vodka but not as thick as a syrup. 

Ingredients:
100 Great Value Butterscotch Discs

Directions:
Place 100 Great Value Butterscotch Discs into a 32 ounce sealable jar. Pour 80 proof Popov Vodka in the jar to the 32 ounce line. Cap the jar and shake. The Popov Vodka will dissolve the Great Value Butterscotch Discs but will create a syrup in the vodka so every day flip the jar so that the syrup can be absorbed by the vodka.  Let the jar sit in this way for 23 days.  The Great Value Butterscotch Discs should be dissolved fully into the Popov Vodka.  The liquid will be slightly thicker but not the thickness of cough syrup or maple syrup. Filter the new Butterscotch Infused Vodka through coffee filters and bottle.

MrHyde

AMAZING flavor.  I put this in the freezer, over ice and mixed with a little club soda.  It was amazing.

Ingredients:
6 ounce box of Ferrara Pan Red Hots
12 Hershey's Jolly Rancher Cinnamon Fire Candies

Directions:
Pour the 6 ounce box of Ferrara Pan Red Hots into a 32 ounce sealable jar.  Pour 80 proof Gilbey's Vodka in the jar to the 32 ounce line.  Cap the jar and shake. Let the jar sit for 3 days, shaking as often as possible to prevent the Ferrara Pan Red Hots from sticking to the bottom.  After 3 days time the 80 proof Gilbey's Vodka will have dissolved the Ferrara Pan Red Hots.  Add the 12 Hershey's Jolly Rancher Cinnamon Fire Candies to the jar.  Cap the jar and shake. Let the jar sit for 9 days, shaking as often as possible to prevent the Hershey's Jolly Rancher Cinnamon Fire Candies from sticking to the bottom.  After the 9 days the 80 proof Gilbey's Vodka will have dissolved the Hershey's Jolly Rancher Cinnamon Fire Candies. Filter the new Cinnamon Infused Vodka through coffee filters and bottle.

MrHyde

Red Cadbury Adams Swedish Fish are actually tropical punch flavored.  Most people don't know this.  I am not a huge fan of the actual flavor of vodka (people tell me it has no flavor, they lie).  This recipe was great because it actually tastes exactly like a Swedish Fish.  Place it in the freezer and pour it over ice with club soda.  It is really good.

Ingredients:
108 Red Cadbury Adams Swedish Fish
½ cup of white granulated sugar

Directions:
Place 36 Red Cadbury Adams Swedish Fish into a 32 ounce sealable jar. Pour 80 proof Gilbey's Vodka in the jar to the 32 ounce line. Cap the jar and shake. Let the jar sit for 1 day, shaking as often as possible to prevent the Red Cadbury Adams Swedish Fish from sticking to the bottom.  Place an additional 36 Red Cadbury Adams Swedish Fish into the jar.  Cap the jar and shake. Let the jar sit for 11 days, shaking as often as possible to prevent the Red Cadbury Adams Swedish Fish from sticking to the bottom.  Filter the jar removing the 72 Red Cadbury Swedish Fish from the jar.  Add ½ cup of white granulated sugar and 36 Red Cadbury Adams Swedish Fish.  Cap the jar and shake. Let the jar sit for 10 days, shaking as often as possible to prevent the Red Cadbury Adams Swedish Fish from sticking to the bottom.  Filter the new Swedish Fish Infused Vodka through coffee filters and bottle.

Magister

Reposting for Butch ...

I realized I hadn't put up the recipe for the Lemonhead Vodka yet.

Here we go:

1 litre of vodka (I used Military Special vodka)
4 pkgs (6 oz each) of Lemonheads candy

Put the vodka into a sealable container large enough to hold both the vodka and the candy.
Put the candy into the vodka.
The candy dissolves in less than 2 days, with almost no sediment.
Strain the mixture through a cloth after you are certain the candy is completely dissolved (I waited about 2 weeks).
Let age, decant, and enjoy!
Magister