News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What should I do?

Started by Syrilla, September 17, 2008, 09:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syrilla

I have half made a basic velveteen tudor gown with train for a client, and now due to economic down turn, I have it on my hands.  It has been worked and reworked to get it to a perfect fit and to make her happy with the changing requests. 

Should I finish it and sell it?  Should I count my losses and put it together, but that's it and sell it?  I have left off the fur lining for the skirt as it was pricey and could be returned.  Or even finish it to my size, wear it, cut the price, and sell it? 

Kate XXXXXX

I always work with a contract and take a sizable deposit (30% of my fee).  This is non-returnable, and other than making the bid for the work and writing the contract details in, NOTHING is done until the deposit is banked/checque cleared..  Fabrics must all be paid for in full at the time of ordering.  If they cancel the contract part way through, they can have the gown IF they pay for ALL the hours put in so far.  Otherwise I take the gown/fabric as compensation.  If they renege on the contract,  the Small Claims court comes into play.  That way, if I am left with something like this, it is USUALLY cheaper for them to complete and pay for the thing.  If they cancel the contract before the main fabric is cut, then all they pay for is the hours worked so far less the deposit paid.  I return everything to them.

You can find my essay 'How to get the best from your Dressmaker' here: http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk/KatePages/HowToGet/how_to_get_the_best_from_you_dre.htm

And the contract I use is here: http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk/KatePages/HowToGet/kate_dicey_contract.htm

I know this is bolting the stable door after the horse is gone, but it may help in the future.

For now, you need to check your legal status with this gown.

Do you pay for the fabric or did the client?
Did you pay for the trims etc?
Did she pay a deposit?
Did she sign a contract?  If so, did the contract cover such an event?

Once you have ensured that you can do so, my instinct would be to complete the gown to a standard size (12. 14, whatever it is closest to or will sell most easily), and sell it either on ebay or etsy, or at faire if you have a booth.  If you have a booth, and can stand the loss, it might be nice to complete the gown to the highest standards to use as a sample of your work.

It's a bugger, innit.  Sorry you got caught in the trap.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Kate gives  very good advice, Syrilla. Obtaining 30%, even 50% of the commission cost is vital. Then, the client is committed to seeing the job through. Contracts are very good things to have as well.

When one door closes, another opens.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

gem

I'd start by posting pictures and details (measurements, etc) of the gown here and on the Wench.org forum (in Garb Goodies), and see if you can stir up any interest.  If you do find somebody here, who knows you and knows your work, maybe you can work out an arrangement--how much to finish or not finish, how much to charge, etc.  It would be a start, at any rate, to gauge interest.

Hugs and good luck!

Syrilla

Thanks ladies, those are great links.  I did get a deposit (and kept it), and a basic contract.  I allowed the lady out of the contract, as she and her family are having Major problems.  The fabric was purchased, by me... that is why I now have the gown.  My worry is the type of changes that were wanted, caused some of the seaming to be off line.  So it is not up to my standard.

Kate XXXXXX

Do what you can to correct the seams and make it a more standard fit.  Hide the remainder of the peculiarities under some trim!  It may not be 100% HA, but someone will love it and wear it to fair and have huge fun doing so.

If you can bear to post pix of the gown as it is and what is off line, we may have more ideas to help you fix it.

Remember this?

Well, this little flash of gold down the sides hides a wedge put in where the waist wasn't quite big enough because I miscalculated!

There are ways and means, love...   :) :)

Syrilla

Sorry for the poor quality, but it is off of my phone.  It's royal blue velveteen, the fur is a med/long pile, the undersleeves are golden silk.  The underskirt was not included, just needed something to look pretty.  The bodice is very lightly boned with reeds, at the moment has hook and eye up the front.  Back is in a v shape, skirt has tube like pleating in the back only.

jaunvie

Everyone is giving you great advice on how to sell the gown, and if all else fails, put it up on ebay.

But my question is...

Is it something you would wear?

Did your deposit at least cover the cost of materials?

If it's something you like, and the material costs are covered I would say keep it. It's rare you get to have a gown at ONLY the cost of your time. You won't have to worry about someone seeing your "flaws", or trying to make it their size. You can also finnish it with any bells-and-whistles you want.

Syrilla

Hopefully, this is a better picture

Syrilla

The white on the center front, is just the corset underneth.  It was made to lace up the front, and have a placket over the lacing.