News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Gallery of In Progress Projects

Started by jmkhalfmoon, September 19, 2008, 01:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmkhalfmoon

Hi,

I know we have a gallery of Finished Projects (which I love) and a if you could make a dress from a portrait thread, but I could not find a gallery of started or in progress projects.  So, I thought I'd start one.  Feel free to tell everyone about the projects you are currently working on (what's on your sewing table), methods you are using, fabrics, inspiration, etc.  If you have dress diaries that you are keeping up, share your links with us.  I love to see photos of works in progress because it gives me new ideas.  Once we are done with our projects, we can unveil it in the Gallery of Finished Projects.

To get us started, I'm working on a new dress for my daughter.  She is at an age where she can handle and is interested in a boned bodice, bum roll, and "farthingale".  The great news is since I made a new bodice, I had my old one.  I was able to rip the old one apart and use the boned lining for the heirs bodice.  I did have to cut the boning (zip ties) down for her.  So last night I was able to get 80% of the bodice with trimmings put together and 45% of the skirt with trimmings put together. 

I will be using the old crinoline slip from my wedding dress to double as the underskirt & farthingale - she found it and I don't plan on wearing it again....and it is a perfect re-use of material that has sat in a trunk for 12 years.  If all goes well, I should have the dress close to done by our trip to faire next weekend.

Queen_of_Navarre

I purchased a couple different dresses from Royal Coffers. While not perfect, I have found they make a wonderful blank canvas for improvements, especially when I can buy them off ebay for a bargain.  I am a designer, not a seamstress, but I can *decorate* and improve on the gowns.  I have taken my most recent R.C. gown and changed the brocade color with copper acrylic paint, and metallic gold and copper embroidery. I will add pearls and some beading to make the bodice and skirt inset.  I will do new sleeves and over skirt in a copper /blue sheen material.
Reyna Marguerite Regina d'Navarre
Royal Order of Landsharks #45
Keeper of the Hairless Cats
Artist of Crescent Moon

operafantomet

This should be called "Gallery of UN-finished projects"....  ;D

I've picked up an old, partly abandoned project again: http://www.geocities.com/pisslei/bordone.html

I'm working on the sleeves. They're to have five rows of slashes at each sleeve, with gold embroidery. I'm doing it as simple as possible, but it's still lots of work. Fun, but... I need to find myself some less advanced projects...

More to come.... some time in the distant future...  ;)

jmkhalfmoon

Wow that looks awesome...I agree about calling Un-finish projects.  I have a dress in my bin in various pieces that I've been meaning to finish for 2 years.  But up next for me is a new Elizabethan dress...not finishing that old one...which is more of a German style.

DonaCatalina

I need to take some pics of the pants I'm beading...and beading...and beading for his Excellency.
This thread is a good idea...so I wonder why there's not more pics?
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

A mid Italian ensemble I am working on...in progress...

Undersress top with Sleeve caps and cuffs.

Black Coton Velveteen Underdress with Chemise. Chemise is made from a soft Ivory Muslin with extra long sleeves for poofing.

Back view of Underdress that hubby just took to the shoe repair for grommetting. The Underdress has a train in the back.

Rich Tapestry Overdress with trim. I have clasps on order for side fastening. I purchased the fabrics at Hancock's. Had to Special order the tapestry. The picture does not do it justice.

Detailing showing the trim and beading with 6mm Czech glass beads from Firemountain Gems. There are yards of trim and hundreds of beads. The center jewel was part of a bracelet I bought years ago on sale from JC Pennys. Wish I had bought more of them.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Taffy Saltwater

Love it - can hardly wait!  I was having a hard time visualizing the beads, but Wowza! - that's gorgeous.
Sveethot!

lollergirl

Quote from: operafantomet on October 10, 2008, 08:06:29 AM
This should be called "Gallery of UN-finished projects"....  ;D

I've picked up an old, partly abandoned project again: http://www.geocities.com/pisslei/bordone.html

I'm working on the sleeves. They're to have five rows of slashes at each sleeve, with gold embroidery. I'm doing it as simple as possible, but it's still lots of work. Fun, but... I need to find myself some less advanced projects...

More to come.... some time in the distant future...  ;)

that is stunning.  the only thing i can think is, "it actually looks exactly like the portrait".  *hat off to operafantomet*

Lady Renee Buchanan

Lady Kathleen, that gown is absolutely gorgeous!  You continue to outdo yourself every time!

Taffy, if you are the lucky lady who will be wearing it, please post lots of pictures!   ;D
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Artemisia

A orange linen florentine with blue silk sleeves.

Here's the sketch.

It's for Twelfth Night so my deadline is January 9, 2009. Wish me luck!

http://dressdiary.blogspot.com/2008/01/florentine-gown.html
Artemisia Moltabocca
You haven't had enough coffee unless you can thread a sewing machine while it's running.

operafantomet

Yay for orange and blue in Renaissance dresses! The colour combo is so wacko, and yet it looks so period. Maybe BECAUSE it is so wacko? I would never dress like that in real life, but I love it in historical dresses. Apart from the Maddalena Doni portrait I found another (almost identical) dress some time ago. A painting by Giuliano Bugiardini which is in Stockholm displays a lady wearing an orange dress with blue sleeves and dark guards. And front closing, like the Maddalena Doni one! It's in the gallery here: http://www.geocities.com/pisslei/raphael So it's definitely period colours.

Your bodice toiles is really heading in the right direction (to be frank, I thought the third one looked really, really good). I can't wait to see more of this project! It's so well researched and well-made so far, so I'll definitely keep an eye on your blog for updates.  :)

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Very colorful design. Striking!!!

Here is an unfinished French Hood I am doing for Lady de la Warr to go with her recent gown she wore for her nuptials. It was all that I had left from the contrast fabric.

v I used the buttons I used on the sleeves of her gown  I had ordered fromwww.pillagedvillage.com, strung with wire, 8mm glass pearls from www.firemountaingems.com. The base is buckram, a stiffener, underlining, wire, and fabric. All hand done.

I have yet to sew on the gold corded ties. There will be a Coif in White Silk with the delicate Gold trim I used for the gown and 4mm pearls, Gold decorative stitching.

Margaret

Arte - that is going to be stunning!!

Here's some sleeves I am working on pearling;

The little rust colored bits that I am covering with the pearls will be 'lost' but the redish rust color will be brought back in a cuff edging to match the edging on the finished gown which will be a front closing gown with a (as full as I can manage with the fabric I have) skirt.
Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Gorgeous fabric, Margaret. I adore designs with diamonds in them. Thie is going to look marvelous after you are finished with it. Do show us when you finish.

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

OH I love that fabric and with the pearls that makes it even better.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e