News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Gallery of In Progress Projects

Started by jmkhalfmoon, September 19, 2008, 01:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurenLee

Here is an Elizabethan gown I'm working on.. just finished whip-stitching the skirt to the bodice.  the skirt is knife-pleated in the front and side-front, and cartridge-pleated on the back.  I have to make the forepart and underskirt yet (same gold as the facing).... but I'm looking for ideas about any other trim?  I'm not sure about the gold trim covering the front opening, but I do have many many yards of that stuff, and could add some down the front of the skirt?  I had in mind a very plain type noble's dress, and by accident, this one looks so much like the example on the front of the pattern (the fabric just JUMPED into my cart at Joann's one day, on one of their 50% off Red Tag Clearance sales :D)...  I also have more of the velvet that I can piece together.  Any ideas?  I was thinking I could sew some velvet stripes on the bias on the forepart?  P.S. - the brooch cost me $.50 at the flea market, and the gold fabric is a tablecloth...

operafantomet

Oh wow, so gorgeous! I especially love that backshot. The velvet trims looks so right.

I have no ideas of trims as now now...

gypsylakat

I like the idea of gold on the front, but i'm just not feeling that trim personally... *shrugs* the velvet looks really nice especially on the back shot and on the cuffs.. maybe some very simple gold trim for the front opening? Like just kind of thin and straight to keep with the simplicity
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

GirlChris

I agree with gypsylakat- gold down the front could definetly work, but that particular trim... not so much. It looks kind of costumey and tinsely.

As for my current WIP, I'm making a doublet for my boyfriend's birthday. Unfortunately, his birthday was in June. Whoops.

It was GOING to be cut down from one I'd made for a play, but upon further experimentation, I discovered that didn't work- the neck hole was too big (it's hard to make a hole smaller once it's cut) and the arms were just all wonky. Plus I was essentially making the whole thing backwards, and it was just too confusing. So I've started from scratch and it's going MUCH better.

This is what the doublet looked like after I'd pinned it to my boyfriend's size. You can see how there's no lining, and also the one side is- as I mentioned- all wonky. However, isn't it a pretty fabric? There's a very faint diamond design woven into it. I'm planning on adding peplums, a collar, and square shoulder wings, and it will lace up the front. Like LaurenLee, though, I'm not too sure what to do about the trim. I'm thinking diagonal bands in black and silver, but I'll need to play around with it.

gypsylakat

Girlchris.. I really don't know why... but I'm totally feeling a burgundy would look amazing with that... like a maroonish burgundy... like http://www.tile-style.co.uk/shopimages/products/thumbnails/Burgundy%20single.JPG I don't know why... Like... maybe piping around the edges with diagonal stripes along the chest...
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

PrincessSara

I think part of the problem with tha is that the gold trim doesn't match the gold fabric.  It's a bit too much of a contrast to work.  Maybe something with a less shiny gold colour, and little red accents to match the brooch?

The dress is gorgeous, I love the colour.  It's going to look stunning when you're done!

Lorraine

I just started yesterday making Christmas presents, I'm a great procrastinator.  I'm doing a green back laced bodice with detachable straps/sleeves for my stepsister, a periwinkle back laced bodice for my stepsister in law, a front laced red bodice for my friend Amanda, a frog themed doublet for her boyfriend, and some shell patterned pillows for my grandma (I know they probably won't all be done in time, but I can hope). Heres the completed green detachable straps for my stepsisters green bodice, only about 10 hours of hand sewing done in one day heh.

Taffy Saltwater

Snape garb in process (Dolly is much taller than I am - there is a lovely train):

Collar detail:

Sleeve detail:

Sveethot!

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Kate XXXXXX

NNNAAAIIICCCEEE!!!  ;D (I always did like Snape swooping about like a bat crossed with an umbrella... )

(I just cheated and bought a male Adjustaform stand.  Called him Fred, coz he helps me make da freds, y'know...  )

operafantomet

I'm working on a new Florentine dress, ca. 1555-1560, in a peacock blue colour with silver trims.

It's starting to look good now, but the skirt has caused me much headache, and I'm still not happy with it. It doesn't behave well, and despite how many times I re-pleat it, the front is a bit sad-looking. I pinned the trims on today, and that helped on my mood. Every project looks so much cooler with trims!

ETA: http://geocities.com/pisslei/peacock

sealion

Lovely! Blue is my favorite color so thank you for the collection of paintings showing blue!
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

Taffy Saltwater

Sveethot!

PrincessSara

Syrilla

I feel like such a slacker.  Looks lovely ladies.