News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Legend of the Seeker or Sword of Truth

Started by renfairephotog, September 19, 2008, 08:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirtfarmer

They did an Ok job.  I don't so much care that they are not following the story-line directly, but what was up with the CGI...I thought it was horrible for the GAR.

Also, could they possibly make Rahl's men's more wooden, with generic lines and costuming.  They would have done better if they just went to a faire and picked out some paytons in their costumes to be soildiers.

Var Greyshadow

Rahl's men looked like any number of Chaos or Dark Cloud guys - and I think Dark Cloud is more intimidating with their parade chants.

I haven't read the books, so I have no basis for comparison, but I think it's quite good just on its own.  I don't have that feeling that I can't follow the story because I didn't read the books.  The bad thing is when it's on.  I have to choose between leaving faire early or missing the show!
"All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost..." ~J.R.R. Tolkien "The Fellowship of the Ring"

DuCoeur

I saw the two hour movie last week...Dvr'd it.  I enjoyed it.  I have not read the novels, but was impressed that they are are based on real literature.

I have missed Hercules, Xena, Buffy, and Angel.  I am glad there is something Fantasy/Sword and sorcery back on TV.  I have the series Dvr'd.  It is on, here in Pittsburgh, on the CW at 5pm.  Can't wait to watch it tonight.
I would rather endure a thousand biblical hells then live a life of perpetual inconsequence.

Legender

Just a reminder to anyone who might miss an episode here and there... they come out on iTunes on the Monday after the weekend the new episode shows. And sometimes, local stations will re-run the previous week's episode in another weekend slot.

The show is a lot of fun, I'm enjoying it so far!

DuCoeur

The second episode has aired and I thought it was alot of fun.  The fight choreography is good and I like the way it is shot (a la 300).

As far as the costuming goes, at least it is real Chain mail, on the Darkeenans and not the glitter, Disco Ball shirts they use on the BBC's Robin Hood.

I can't wait til Saturday!!!
I would rather endure a thousand biblical hells then live a life of perpetual inconsequence.

renfairephotog

They finally explained some of the Confessor's power.

The CGI of Zedd's disguise was real bad.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

DuCoeur

the CGI is bad...but it was bad in Xena and Hercules also.  At least they have stayed away from the campiness of those series.

NoBill Lurker

While I'm really enjoying the show... ;D

I don't remember any of the story so far... ???

Has it been that long that I don't remember the story or are they even staying with the books?

Or is this going to be more based on the world of the "Seeker" than the real books?
So what are you doing this weekend?
I'm going to BARF!!!
You're going to...wait...WHAT???

Macintyre

i have a friend that's a huge fan of that series and was rather disappointed with it.  didn't even bother watching it after the first two episodes.

*Teach*

I admit liking it to a point but...
It just isn't the same.
I agree with it being good, but this just isn't the Richard/Kahlan/Zedd/Addy that I was hoping for. Addy being scared of a soldier... I don't think so. But I do think they did well at getting her accent right. Zedd just isn't Zedd to me. Only heard him being hungry once or twice and he uses actual magic WAY more on the series than in the books. Kahlan is probably the closest, but she just doesn't seem to have that regal bearing she is supposed to (and btw, what the H3ll was the deal with changing her life story? the whole bit of her being freed with the death of her mother? No.) Richard is just way to... unsure of himself... to wishy washy I think.
Having said all that, I think this series is pretty good for what it is. It just isn't what I was hoping for. I will keep watching it.

*maybe there could be a storyline where he frees a rum distillery... that would be fun*
*Got more Rum?* "Here, Try This!"
http://forums.wearephoenixrisen.com

Amras Elfwine

My 2-cents...

Like Var, I have not read the books, so I have nothing to compare it too, but perhaps this is a good thing. As has been mentioned, movies/TV shows rarely are as good as the books upon which they are based.

On its own, I do find the series quite enjoyable, good entertainment on the CW here in Baltimore, over weekend evenings. I'll keep watching.
R/F member since 2004
"They say that men who go warring afield look ever to the next hope of food and of drink." ~Tolkien

"Who are you callin' plushy??" ~ Todd the Squirrel

DuCoeur

I am definatly going to keep watching.  Richard seems to be building in confidence, and I like how they are using his good deeds to slowly build the legend.

Zedd is very funny...Cranky, yet warm.  Kahlan...uh WOW is all I will say about her!!!

I am going to l;ook for the books, but will try to keep them seperate in mind.  As with most TV/Movies based on books they (networks producers) do not always get it right (look at what they did to the X-men *shudder*).

renfairephotog

the first episode reruns next week.

hey Zedd was eating again this week show.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

LadyShadow

I've only caught one of the shows and it was good enough to keep my attention and not change channels.  But Sat nights are busy for me so I often miss it.  Although I do have to give it credit for the next series of books that I will be reading.

I do not enjoy watching movies/tv series with out reading the books first.  The remakes of hte books are always off and I am one who likes to know what is happening, what got left out.  Off to Barnes & Noble for me
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

*Teach*

I am still watching it because it is well written but they seriously messed up on two major characters to me. Shota and Sam. Shota does not leave the reach until after meeting richard and this Shota was far less intense than in the books. They made her more of a minor nuisance than the major force she is. Samual... well... I admit it would be hard to do him justice, but they just missed the boat completely on him... I had him pictured as being halfway similar to Gollum in the way he acts.

*I have learned that if you drink plenty of rum it helps make it better though.*
*Got more Rum?* "Here, Try This!"
http://forums.wearephoenixrisen.com