News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Legend of the Seeker or Sword of Truth

Started by renfairephotog, September 19, 2008, 08:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renfairephotog

Not the book Not the book. I'm gonna reread the book.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

*Teach*

ok... so... um...
Kahlan wasn't the Mother Confessor already?
and... there are still other confessors?
at least 3 of them anyway...
and.... when a confessor dies, you get your life back?
and... um
I am totally confused
not the book... not the book... not the book... not the book...

*need the rum... need the rum*
*Got more Rum?* "Here, Try This!"
http://forums.wearephoenixrisen.com

*Teach*

Well hey... an episode that didn't completely revise the story!
Finding out Zedd had a brother was unexpected.
He didn't grow up in the wizards enclave... but I can deal with that kind of revising I guess
Outside of that, this was pretty much what I was hoping the series would be like.
New stories along the journey. Fitting them in with the main storyline as they can.
This... was pretty much my favorite episode so far.

*Rum toast to this episodes writers... well done!*
*Got more Rum?* "Here, Try This!"
http://forums.wearephoenixrisen.com

Dirtfarmer

I have not been able to watch the dreck....  I tried to stomach it, but Rami has so completely twisted the the story that it just seems so generic instead of innovative, as I thought the book was.  Maybe you have to make it simpler so the dumb public can understand, but once you had the Sisters of the Light behind the sliding rock wall out in the woods... I just could not take it anymore.

NoBill Lurker

So what are you doing this weekend?
I'm going to BARF!!!
You're going to...wait...WHAT???

LadyShadow

I havent been able to catch any one tv yet.  But I have been watching the episodes online.  I have 3 down and I dont know how many to go.  I still need to go buy the book.  As I am sure it will be much more entertaining.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

renfairephotog

Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Legender

I long ago stopped pretending this would be like the books, and started to enjoy it for what it is...

I especially like the look of the season 2 opener. This is why I'm still interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu8T3rsnaa0

That's Charisma Carpenter of Buffy fame who gets thrown in the drink!

justsomeguytn

So Season 2 started last night.  Wow, books went right out the window.  They're just using character names and creature descriptions now.  I just hope this series doesn't ruin the chances of a run of movies down the road.

Auryn

I havent read the books, it kinda puts me off that he has SSOOOOOO many books in 1 continuing series.
however I caught one episode of the show about 8 months ago on tv and really liked it.
I've been catching up on season 1 online on netflix.
Its pretty good, great for fantasy garb.

from what you guys are all saying seems I should be glad I haven't read the books so I don't have anything to compare it to
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

justsomeguytn

Auryn,

I would really suggest reading the books sometime.  The show is fine but in my mind it has to exist on it's own merit.  It is NOT Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series anymore.  The producers have borrowed names and general themes in a kind of fantasy shorthand.  I too like the watching the show.  I think they got a great actress to play Kahleen.  So far the actress that plays Cara seems perfect but she's held back by the fact that they've rewritten who Cara really is at heart.  I also like the costumes.  I want to make a wizard garb like Zed's except with blue tones instead of red.

Dragonlord

So what does everyone think of Season 2 so far?  It's not the books but after the first couple of episodes of Season 1 I gave up on it following any of the major plot points and just enjoy it for what it is.  Yes I would prefer a big budget movie that more closely followed the books but I still love the show.  And I am really liking Kahlan's new garb.  Very hot!!

meauho

Quote from: Terry Goodkind
    If you don't like the show, you can blame Ken Biller. If you like the show, you can blame Ken Biller for that too. I wrote the characters and the stories that are in the books. What Disney did with it is packaged things into what they believe is entertainment for television.

I was reading the books for the first time when the TV series came out, and was half way through book 4.
I watched the first 3 episodes, and not only have I not watched the show since, I haven't picked up the book again.  I have only failed to read 2 other books that I started, in my whole life. 

I am aware that TV shows are rarely as good as the books, and have seen some of my favorite books butchered, but it is pretty bad when a TV series can chase me away from a pretty good book series.
"New ideas are always suspected, and usually opposed,without any other reason but because they are not already common."

Pedlar

I have read the books- maybe not 11 but 8 or 9 for sure.  The earlier books were the best.  Its hard to sustain a series that long.

I thought I remembered seeing a TV movie or episode in a Sword of Truth series recently.  When I didn't see it again I began to hope it was just a figment of my demented imagination.  Guess not. >sigh<

I suppose the show might have been OK if I hadn't had such high expectations based on the books.  Movies are never as good but those books were really good.  I need to look for the last few volumes.

Quote from: meauho on February 01, 2010, 11:10:05 AM
...I have only failed to read 2 other books that I started, in my whole life.[/color]

I think I have a copy of Satanic Verses somewhere if you'd like to try for 3.  ;) 

Pedlar

Auryn

Well I took the leap and I read "wizard's first rule" this past week. I read it in 6 days. Its a really good book and the fact that I had 10+ hours in layovers in airports helped to get through it so quickly.
I love the book.
That being said I am glad I saw the tv show first because if I had read the book first I would have hated the tv show.
I still like the show and I am going to continue watching it. I am just going to treat them as two separate entities.
Plus I really like the actors they chose for the show, I think they do the character's personalities justice. The guy they got for Richard I think maybe should be a little taller and buffer but otherwise they did great.

I have a few other books to read before I jump into "stone of tears" but I look forward to it.
Glad I took the leap.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec