News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Having your picture taken at faire?

Started by theChuck, September 20, 2008, 11:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theChuck

So I went to the faire today, and my girlfriend and I were just sitting at one of the pubs having a drink and listening to music. Out of nowhere, this guy comes up to us and is like, "Now that I've taken your picture for Flickr, would you like a picture on your camera?" I was sort of shocked that this random guy was taking pictures of us, but he explained that he's one of the few photographers who takes pictures for the faire, and that we could find them on Flickr. It sort of rubbed me the wrong way, though, since I don't really like pictures like that, especially without asking. He could've at least asked me before taking the picture, y'know?

Am I being crazy about this, or am I justified in feeling this way? Have any of you ever encountered this sort of thing?
The Renlist - find faires near you!

HollyAtFairyEffects

Was he asking you to buy the picture at flickr?  Or was he just telling you that it was there in case you wanted to see it?  I'd be a little put off if he wanted me to buy it.  But at TRF, it's kind of flattering if people want to take your picture.  Especially if it's Photography On The Run, or someone like that.  But he usually doesn't tell you that he even took it.  You have to check his website to see.  That way it's kind of fun to see if he "got" you that day!

renfairephotog

Few that take picture for faire

Sounds like he's implying he taking pics for faire owners.  But they should have a website not a Flicker account.

I've done crowd shots and pics of people enjoying the faire. It easier to get a casual shot that way. But I never asked some if they want to to take I pic of them with their camera.
If I'm taking pic of someone I don't know I'll ask and give them a card for my site.

He probably  meant no harm he just told you in a bad way. Check the Flickr account and if you don't like the pic ask them to remove it.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

theChuck

Quote from: HollyAtFairyEffects on September 21, 2008, 12:16:25 AM
Was he asking you to buy the picture at flickr?  Or was he just telling you that it was there in case you wanted to see it?  I'd be a little put off if he wanted me to buy it.  But at TRF, it's kind of flattering if people want to take your picture.  Especially if it's Photography On The Run, or someone like that.  But he usually doesn't tell you that he even took it.  You have to check his website to see.  That way it's kind of fun to see if he "got" you that day!

No, he wasn't trying to sell me anything. He said that I can just go onto Flickr and get the image in full size and everything.

Quote from: renfairephotog on September 21, 2008, 12:31:18 AM
He probably  meant no harm he just told you in a bad way. Check the Flickr account and if you don't like the pic ask them to remove it.

Yeah, I was thinking of doing that. I'm sure he means no harm by it, it was just.. weird.
The Renlist - find faires near you!

renfairephotog

Some people just don't get the personal space thing.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Athena

Candid shots are a fact of life at faire, I see people snapping pictures of garbed patrons all the time.  
You're completely justified in not liking those "sneaky" shots, but when you're garbed up you're going to get attention, and that includes people taking pictures of you without your knowledge.

I agree with RFP - the guy's approach wasn't all that great, and faires usually have pictures on their websites. If you're uncomfortable with the picture being online, then asking him to remove it is definitely the way to go.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Bugsy

I think it's pretty flattering.  In fact, I have even gone to Flickr to see if anyone snapped me in my new garb, before I had any pics of it.

There was only one time I got a little upset, I didn't agree with some of the content on the web site where a picture of me was posted.  But, I got over it.

Last year, lol, I remember seeing this guy with one of those big professional cameras and he was snapping pictures right where I was going to walk.  So I slapped on a smile as I walked by, just in case. ....... Now, that picture is on the Ohio Renaissance website.
Elvish dragonfly
Castleteer
Bugs'n M'Crack Clan O'Maille
sister of Lady Pegos

Lady Renee Buchanan

Think of it as a compliment!  Imagine, you looked so good in your garb (and how many people don't!) that he took your picture as adding to the atmosphere of the faire.

He probably came up to you the way he did, because he thought you looked good and felt you might want a copy of the same picture for you.  We don't have Flickr, for example, and I am computer-challenged, so I'd never look there in a million years.

Most of the time at faire, people stop us and ask if they can take a picture, but I've seen people snapping away without asking first.  I feel honored when someone takes our picture.  Must be the diva in me!
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard

Oh Lady Renee I must be a Diva too then, people are always asking to take our picture. The only ones I don't like are when we are eating or doing something out of faire and they are snapping our picture, like maybe a mouth full of food.But besides that I'm ok with picture taking. ::)
MDRF Dandy  "Delfinia DuSwallow"
Sun'n Penny - Clan O'Morda
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

AbleArcher

While it may be private property, it is a place open to the public and you really don't have an expectation of privacy out in public.

The local fair has a clause on their ticket, that when you purchase the ticket you enter into an agreement with the owners and operators.  Part of that agreement may be that you likeness may be used without compensation or without further agreement from you.  You can probably ask that your picture not be taken, and most photogs will likely abide by your wishes, but don't be surprised to find your images on photo sharing sites. It comes with the territory.

Trillium

I take it as a compliment.  We get stopped easily 20 times a day to get our picture taken, on top of the random people taking snap shots as we walk by.  I appreciate being told where I can find a pic, I usually have to search around!  As long as they aren't trying to make money off of it, I don't care.
Got faerie dust?

Cyron

i am on of those crazies with the camera (581 pics taken on saturday, 490 to get posted tommorrow from it), but take it as a compliment.. you would be surprised how many people are surprised that you are taking there picture as they dont think they are good enough for it weather it be garb or looks.. but i try to get as many as i can of people in garb.. however i try not to bug them when they are eating, but do ask as they walk by if i can take it usualy.. unless its busy and people are just walking all over i just take them then.. but it evens out i think.. i had 57 photos i know of taken a few weeks ago of me that i was asked for, and yesterday about 15-20 minutes worth of them straigt with 2 other guys in armour.
I'm walking in a dream half the time, and sleeping through reality the other half.
Warning: Have camera, WILL Shoot!!

Jay Byrd

Where on flickr do you find those photos?  I'd like to take a look.

Jay Byrd

Master James

Being dressed out as a noble most days at faire, my wife and I sometimes get stuck in one spot for 15 minutes as people snap away.  Just comes with the territory of going to faire in garb.  We even get the "Can I take a picture with you?"  where they hand someone their camera and get in the picture with us.  And I'm sure there are countless pictures that are taken that I don't even know about.  I'm sure the guy was just trying to be pleasant and tell you where you could see your picture and nothing more since some people like that and that is why they do it.  As others have said, if you have a problem with it, then go to the site and ask him to remove it.  I think most people don't mind have having people take their picture, its just when they add some dopey caption to the picture like "One hot babe" or "What was this guy thinking?" that it gets a little out of line.
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

Cyron

Quote from: Jay Byrd on September 22, 2008, 06:41:45 AM
Where on flickr do you find those photos?  I'd like to take a look.

Jay Byrd

i dont post on flickr.. i use my site. .its listed in my profile here.
I'm walking in a dream half the time, and sleeping through reality the other half.
Warning: Have camera, WILL Shoot!!