News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Having your picture taken at faire?

Started by theChuck, September 20, 2008, 11:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BubbleWright

As I bring the Renaissance Bubble Machine to PARF, making bubbles at the Gate before opening and around the Shire for the rest of the day, I have my picture taken numerous times, with and without patrons in frame. What surprises me are the number of people who ask permission to do so. I have made bubble machines for over 25 years for use while kite flying for the purpose of tracking the ground winds and entertaining the nippers. If I had a nickle for every photo taken I'd be right up there with Bill Gates. I'm more than happy to share with the public.

http://renstorearticles.blogspot.com/2007/03/felix-cartagena-renaissance-bubble.html

http://www.kendrickhang.com/ken/blog/2007/04/kite-festival-photos-bubble-machine.html
"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

analise

Quote from: Jay Byrd on September 22, 2008, 06:41:45 AM
Where on flickr do you find those photos?  I'd like to take a look.

Jay Byrd

I usually search on flickr for relevant search terms (in my case, I plug in "maryland renaissance") and ask it to show me the most recent photos that match that.

That's how I found a candid of myself on there, anyway. Which I was actually pretty pleased with since it was fairly flattering.

As for the OP: You can't get a candid shot if you warn the person ahead of time you want to take their picture and I don't know about you, but if I know someone is directing a camera at me, I usually get tense and don't look as natural or happy as I did before I noticed the camera. I'd much rather be told after the fact than before, if only so the picture comes out better! :) That said, I would like to be told, but also really just so I can go look myself up, I don't mind people taking pictures because they like the way I've garbed up. (that said, if I uncovered one where someone had just posted my cleavage, for instance, or me with my mouth full of food or something, I would feel [at a minimum] pretty uncomfortable about that being online).

And it's a whole other realm if someone takes your photo and then wants to make money off of it.

I'm one of those camera-carrying folks, though, and it really doesn't occur to me to ask permission to take a photo or to post it online.

Mandrake Von Sets

I'm not one to fret, but to each their own.  I can understand if vendors who want to protect their products.  I've taken a few pictures and posted them on Flickr and haven't had any complaints (yet). 
Wil

RumbaRue

Considering I'm not a photogentic person, I'm always appreciative of those who want to take my picture.

Being Blond means I have the right to walk into any wall.

Adriana Rose

Good gravy all the pictures that I have had taken with and with out knowing it! There are a ton! But from what I do at fair  I must end up looking like a pissed off blow up doll, I am a hawker so my mouth is never shut!

There is nothing that you can do about it so just smile when you see a camera pionted at you.

Poldugarian Warrior

I wouldn't doubt most of us who are dressed in garb have our pictures taken without our knowledge, either by other patrons, workers, or professional photographers. I've noticed people taking my pic while I'm moving to the next pub, show, or food counter. And I don't stop unless they ask, and I usually do if they do ask. For the most part though I've usually been asked by people if they could take my pic. And if they want to post it, they do and let me know that I can get it and save it. But, I've never had it posted on a pay site, or I didn't ask to know, because it's really the photgraphers faulty marketing skills because without your description of what or who your character is and what they're wearing or the equipment their carrying they really can't make a good sale or lend a story to the pic. So in an aspect if people are trying to make money from our images then yes I too would be offended. But, if it's just someone whom is bashful to ask for a pic and they take it from far away I guess it's fine, and those other people whom just like to get action shots. from far away instead of a posed subject.

AbleArcher

photomike

Since I take about 500 to 900 pix every day of Faire & post about 60% of them on photobucket let me tell you my approach.
I will usually just take the picture. Most times they are of folk I know or that know me (I am known as photomike!). For patrons & playtrons I do not know I may stop them & ask for a photo or I may just take the photo & then approach them with a card & a complament. I will explane why I took the photo,cute, sexy,great garb, funny,exc. then hand them a card with my contact info & a link to the photobucket sight. I will also tell them that they can e-mail me directly with a description & the date & I will send them a copy by e-mail.  I have been shooting the Sterling Ren Fest for many years & have only had a couple people ask to have pix pulled from the sight & all requests were due to the people having split up with the other in the photo. I give out almost 500 cards each season & have many people thank me for catching the action & feel of our great Faire. I have had people say they would not like there photo taken & must respect that. Also, I will take pix before the gates open & after they close. All pix taken then are privet & do not get posted without permission. (My feeling is that the actors are not "on" & are due there privacy. Also not good to portray them out of Caricture)
  Dealing with children, can be tricky. I will try to catch the kids & then approach the parents & get a shot of the family. I had a funny experience this year, I took a shot of three young Lady's dancing during final pub sing. One of them I was introduced to earlier in the season but the other two I had not met. As soon as I took the photo the littlest girl about 5 years old ran up to me & said that her daddy did not want her picture posted on the internet! OK! I was floored! So, kneeling down I asked her who her daddy was. She told me & I told her that I knew her dad & I would ask him as he was one of the performers. I did go to her dad tell him the story & he was proud of her (so was I) I did get his permission to post the pix.

It has been a crazy season & I am way behind on editing & posting this years pix but I have some posted & more comming soon. Here is a link to my photobucket sight feel free to check it out all albums of dates are Faire pix!
http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/wildroverphotos/
Thanks & happy shooting!
*links and URLs not allowed in signature* - Admin

Macintyre

you should have told him that he just stole your soul and it's agains your religion to have your picture taken because of this and that he must remove it from his camera at once or you'll be left in limbo forever.

Poldugarian Warrior

Macintyre, that's a good old one. I don't know if anyone at faire uses that one any more. I've heard a few times of the "magic boxes" people carry with people inside them, and their souls can be seen through the window. And it's a good joke.

Lord Clisto of York

I go along with Cyron here. I post to my private website for all to see and, I even will go out and make nice 5 x7's for people of some they like and just give them to them. i take faire pics basically for me and then share them online for everyone so they can see what faire is about at a certain place. As you all can tell by my posting here announcing my pics are up. I never bother anyone while they are eating, or in a heavy conversation. And, I have never had one person in my 31 years of faireing tell me get lost or dont take theirs, except when something happened where they didnt look their best. But then i would not have taken it anyway. I try very hard to put up only good looking shots and nothing that makes people look bad or embarass them. If I do get a funny shot from a distance or a close area which I like but think they may not, I will write them and send a copy in e-mail for them to see for approval first. If its a yes, great, and if its a no, I will not post it, but I will still keep it in my personal faire collection. They almost always find it flattering and wonder why I would want their pic.

Now on the flip side, I cant even start to guess how many times a day at faire I get stopped by people wanting to take mine. It just goes with the territory. I always find it enlightening and fun as well as an honor. So I never get upset. I sometimes only get a few feet when someone asks again. I know the regular patron wants a momento of whatever or whom ever they deem to be worth it while at faire, while I like the aspect of garb and certain period shots. But all in all, most people love it as it is kind of an ego boost for them. I am just honored to have it done and to do it for others.

Sir Clisto
Invictus Maneo - I Remain Unvanquished

Carl Heinz

One of Sparky's functions is to provide a photo op.

I normally keep a Sparky hand puppet with me so that if folks want to take pictures of Sparky with their children, I can interact with them using the puppet.

I've no idea how frequently our picture is taken, but many do ask.

The soul stealing routine probably isn't period.  The occasional comment about miniature Flemish painters hidden in a box is probably better, but I think it's best to pause, smile and enjoy the compliment.
Carl Heinz
Guild of St Cuthbert

Lord Clisto of York

You got it! Just sit back and enjoy the ATTENTION ride. It's all in fun.

Sir Clisto
Invictus Maneo - I Remain Unvanquished

Richard de Graeme

Yea, magic boxes! I was accused of capturing someone's soul at the MRF. Just to be on the safe side, I immediately gave it back.
"For it is the doom of man that they forget."
NE OUBLIE!
Purveyor of dubious wisdom
Player of spoons
Herbalist

Lady Renee Buchanan

Let's face it.  Most people dress up because they enjoy the attention, myself included.  If they didn't want to be noticed, they'd wear jeans and a tee shirt and blend in with the rest.  I know I look at every garbed person who walks by.  Because they stand out as being different than what we see in our everyday lives.

So I can't imagine someone dressing up and expecting not to be noticed or have their picture taken.  I understand an unflattering picture with eyes closed, mouth open, eating, or the like, but otherwise, I think it's an honor that someone thought you looked nice enough to want to be remembered in their memories of the faire.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich