News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Having your picture taken at faire?

Started by theChuck, September 20, 2008, 11:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sev

My latest outfit was made with the intention of receiving lots of looks. I have pictures taken of me left and right; most people come up and ask first, but plenty don't, and I don't really mind; I try to always "look my best". But there are plenty of times when I'm doing something not terribly photo-friendly, such as eating or fixing some part of my costume -- I know there's at least one picture out there of me with a giant Pepsi cup in my face, and a few others from behind of me squatting to adjust my hooves. Personally, I just laugh at those -- and I wish I could see the Pepsi one, it must be hilarious!

But I agree -- most costumes are worn for the attention. Maybe not ENTIRELY for the attention -- but that's a part of it, I do believe. And part of the fun. It's nice, because -- to me -- it means that the hard work I put into making and/or putting together my ensemble is appreciated. If you're asked for a picture -- be flattered. It's a compliment! If you're not asked -- well, you should still be flattered, and laugh at what a silly picture it must be. If you're right, hooray! Something to laugh at! Laughter is wonderful. If you're wrong -- then maybe it's one of those flattering candids! Those are my favorites, so I kind of love noticing that someone just took a picture of me when I was just being myself. (Even if in half of them, I'm in mid-speak and have some silly expression on -- the other half make it all worth it.)

Sicari

I am a ren sniper. I love candids. To me the show fest better than anything else you can tell people. I have only had one or two get mad and that was not at my home fest. They did calm down after talking to me. If I shoot someone alot I try to make sure they get a card with my contact info on it. I also will more than willingly take a picture of my site if someone really hates it. No big deal.

I also have no problem sending high rez photos to people if they want them. If I ask someone to pose for me then I make extra sure they get my card or contact info. For me this is a big part of my love of fest.

Dev

I can't complain about people taking my picture.

The way I see it, if they ask to take my picture, I have impressed someone...if I impress people, it's due to my garb, which means, as far as I go playing a fantasy character, that I have done something right.

I'm just a big ham.

Element of Air

I don't mind having my picture taken, It find it a compliment. The only time I do mind is if they stop me to take it and I am trying to get some where quickly.

I actually prefer the candid "non asked" photos to see how I carry myself when I think no one is looking. I like to see how I look to the world when I feel I am not in the "spot light".
Royal Duchess of Air, Music and Beauty in the court of Queen Bonnie.
FOKTOP
Royal Order of Landsharks, Guppy No. 25

jcbanner

I've held several view points with fest photos.  I always love seeing event pictures of me and my friends both on and off cast. but I used to get a bit miffed when I saw them posted online for sale. but then I started looking at it from a different angle. If I wanted professional quality pictures, I'd have to hire a photographer anyways, and the pictures won't capture the same energy as a candid photographer will, nor will the hired photographer likely follow me around faire to get shots of me in that setting.

It kind of amuses me how people get upset at their picture being taken. I don't know about all events, but most come complete with implied photo consent, meaning, if you payed for a ticket, you agree to faire's rules: *insert faire specific rules here* including photographic rights.

AbleArcher

Richard de Graeme

Aye, Able Archer, the muses speak through thee. Worry not of monies, the coming and the going, all shall be well. All thine images are thusly that alone, an image. Rejoice, live and remember what led thee to this road.
"For it is the doom of man that they forget."
NE OUBLIE!
Purveyor of dubious wisdom
Player of spoons
Herbalist

AbleArcher

Malkavian

If you have an actual working arrangement with the faire organizers that includes you retaining rights to do as you want with your photos, there isn't really any room for anyone to argue about vendor fees being applicable.  That said, vendors are buying space, and a captive market, so it's a little different anyway (IMO)

On the other hand, in my situation (enthusiastic amateur, utterly unaffiliated) I personally feel like the only way I'd ask for money for my shots is if one of the subjects (or the faire organizers) were interested in getting complete control of the material.

DeadBishop

Depending on the event, most will not let anyone sell images or videos without express permission.  It's usually a part of the agreement of ticket purchase or contract. 

R/F.com member since 2003

AbleArcher

DonaCatalina

I've never been bothered that people want to photograph us. When the whole family is together we look like a miniature Court.
When one of us spots a camera pointed at us, they yell "Frodo" so we can all smile for the photographer.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

amy

We love having pictures taken and even more when we get a lap full of someone's children to pose with!   My daughter even has a lovely little card with a yahoo mailbox on it that thanks them for the flattery of taking her picture and asks if they like they can email it to her so she may share their enjoyment.  This way she is kept rather anonamous and they don't feel obligated to anything, and we get some great pictures we never would have seen. 

ItsTheBishop

It happens frequently enough at BARF that I no longer mind. Last Sunday, I was sitting in a pub with Leneas and this couple comes up to us asking if they can have their picture taken with us... I've become so used to it I can smile on command.

Lady Catherine

i feel when i dress for faire, i pretty much ready for my photo to be taken. i really do enjoy it. but, i have only been on cast so far, this year, i will be a playtron!  dona, i LOVE that idea! 
2008-2009 cast TNRF
Fishers, GARF, TNRF, ALARF, Fishers, KYHRF and BRISTOL
Coming 2011- Bella the Troll at TNRF!