News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Wounds While Crafting

Started by Magister, May 12, 2008, 08:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Once Debauched

Quote from: CountessofPhoenix on May 19, 2008, 05:28:44 PM
HOTTTTTT  Glue, need I say more!!!

I can't count the number times I have jerked a hand back wondering if I had finally lost a fingerprint!
IWG  #3527 Local 29
IFRP #1228 Loblolly Lass, HMS Lying Bastard
FOKTOP
ROoL #29
Tequila:  The interactive shot

jaunvie

*Every industrial sewer has cought their finger with the needle at least once.  :P

*ALWAYS use a bandaid for even small cuts. (They can bleed for a while sometimes and you don't know, untill it's on the fabric)

*Watch out for fatigue ::) I know...me too...

My worst wound was when I was using a fabric saw (a 12" long razor with a motor) and cut 1/4 of the way thru my thumb.

Aelwyn

Hot glue....lots and lots of hot glue burns.

Burns from burning the end of cord and not waiting until it cooled to touch it.

Splinters from various wood items.

Cut by many types of metal wire.

Sewing needles are hazardous to my thumbs.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*
Find me on Facebook as Aelwyn Daeira
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*

Lady Christina de Pond

lol hot glue burns are rough i remember making wings i hot glued feather for four hours then i had to take a break then i went back several hours later and glued for another 4hrs
i've recently superglued myself to a wire hoop making a dream catcher the other week. I"m dangerous with superglue
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

MacLaren

I've done the glue gun thing a few times myself....

But the worst was when the cell phone rang whilst burnishing a piece of bamboo with a propane torch. Problem was I reached across the flame and left a nasty burn on my left forearm. Right arm followed the movement, and, well, you get the idea.

Dan
Dan
Clan McLotofus
Captain, HMS Landshark
ROoL #78, guppy
FOKTOP

BrokenArts

I had super glue land right on my eye ball once........and only once.  What an experience, I tell ya.  Between lots of saline, and finally loosening it with a finger nail.
It came off, almost went to the emergency room. BLAH.

Lady Christina de Pond

;D ok i have senged fingers on wood burning tools too.
What can i say I'm inpatient and the metal takes forever to cool so i decided to help it out bye removing it. thankfully i used a paper towel but still senged my finger
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

Poof Bird

Hmm, crafting injuries?  Carpel tunnel in both wrists that makes me unable to lift anything really heavy.  Right wrist is way worse.  Probably a dozen or so 3rd degree burns from woodburing.  Once sewed my finger with my sewing machine, that was fun.  Two scars from hot glue guns in very odd places.  Lots of splinters.  Cuts on my legs from wire going crazy when my chainmaille jig decided to split in two.  Lots and lots of bird poo on me and in my hair from my crafting buddies. 

I have so many more crafting injuries, it's not even funny.  Plus i work in a print/copy center, so I get lots of strange injuries there too.  never get your finger caught in the collation tray of a xerox 4110.  It's not fun.

Dustin

While I was doing the rough work on the limb that has become my walking staff, the handsaw I was using slipped and gave me a nice cut on my left leg. Bled for a while, and I had to pick some sawdust out of it, but it wasn't deep. It was actually kinda funny looking, kinda like Morse code or something, because of the serrated blade.
If love be rough with you, be rough with love;
Prick love for pricking, and you beat love down. Romeo & Juliet, 1.IV

Dustin

The walking staff strikes again! I was wittling a bit on it a few days ago, and busted a knuckle on a branch nub.
If love be rough with you, be rough with love;
Prick love for pricking, and you beat love down. Romeo & Juliet, 1.IV

Arsinoe Selene

I had to stop knitting for about a week or two because my arm was really sore. Too much knitting in too short of time.

I cut the tip of my finger with a pair of sissors. Always watch where you are cutting, even if it is under the paper/fabric!

My mom cut a V in her knuckle with a pair of sewing sissors. They were sharp sissors.

My dad was polishing or cleaning something, and was using an electric drill with a wire... disk? I don't know what it's called. Well, whatever he was cleaning, he was holding, and the drill slipped. Onto his arm. So he ended up wirebrushing a bit of his inner forearm. Yeah, ow.

jcbanner

I wouldn't call it a "wound" so much, but it IS a pain.  not too long ago, I made a rather large wood gouge from a chunk of a car's leafspring I had laying around. (note to self, smoke from coal, and recovering from bronchitis doesn't mix well.)  but as I was grinding the edges smooth on my bench grinder, I picked up a file laying nearby and ended up with several metal fibers digging into my hand. took me a few days to dig them all out

Hoowil

Electrical/heat burns from a shared soldering iron, where somebody left the tip across the cord when it was hot. A nice tingle in the arm, then ouch...
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

ADraeger

Quote from: Morgan Dreadlocke on May 25, 2008, 12:02:06 AM
Lessons learned-
Never use a-
Hot glue gun
X-acto knife
Dremel tool,

While sitting down!

I was in the process of working on a project for Theatre (Scene design class)... sitting down, talking to mom, using a rather large exacto knife.  Slipped and stabbed myself in the thigh with the knife.  It was standing straight up in my leg...and it was deep. I think I stared at it wide-eyed, repeating 'what do I do? what do I do?'.  Mom was doing the same but saying, 'don't pull it out! don't pull it out!'.  Pulled it out.  Bled all over the place, almost went in for stiches, but b/c I'm a cheap skate, I just plasted butterfly bandages all on it.  Still have a not- so- pretty scar. :P

Malkavian

While not as worthy of song as some of the stories here...I can tell you guys that half opening a stainless steel or aluminum ring (for a maille project) and then dropping it on the floor...and stepping on it barefoot later....Yeah, that smarts. The sharp cut end of the ring invariably stands up like a caltrop.

I've stabbed myself in the hands with needlenose pliers whilst trying to manipulate smaller rings a fair number of times too. :-\