News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Wounds While Crafting

Started by Magister, May 12, 2008, 08:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcbanner

Quote from: Malkavian on October 31, 2008, 03:18:58 PM
While not as worthy of song as some of the stories here...I can tell you guys that half opening a stainless steel or aluminum ring (for a maille project) and then dropping it on the floor...and stepping on it barefoot later....Yeah, that smarts. The sharp cut end of the ring invariably stands up like a caltrop.

I've had that happen before, I had to literally twist the piece of metal out of my foot, it doesn't sound like much but your right about it hurting

Taffy Saltwater

Discovered the hard way that E-6000 glue can cause some nasty skin irritation when used in good sized amounts for a long time - not to mention the migraine-inducing fumes.
Sveethot!

Hoowil

Quote from: jcbanner on October 31, 2008, 05:21:23 PM
Quote from: Malkavian on October 31, 2008, 03:18:58 PM
While not as worthy of song as some of the stories here...I can tell you guys that half opening a stainless steel or aluminum ring (for a maille project) and then dropping it on the floor...and stepping on it barefoot later....Yeah, that smarts. The sharp cut end of the ring invariably stands up like a caltrop.

I've had that happen before, I had to literally twist the piece of metal out of my foot, it doesn't sound like much but your right about it hurting
On a couple of occasions, I've stepped on staples, only to have the prongs bend halfway into my foot, effectively stapling it. One of the more interesting pains I've had in removing foreign objects from my flesh.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

UrsulaChandler

I got a blister cutting up fat for tallow candles.  :-[

Lesson learned: no one person needs 30lbs of fat for candles. 10lbs is enough.
Ursula Chandler
Louisiana Renaissance Festival
Cast, RLHC

Lady Christina de Pond

Lesson 265: to my growing list of hazards do not use a bead rimmer to put holes anything with a flat backside especally if your holding it in your hands(flat back gem broke and i poked my finger that smarted i had a tiny hole in my finger for a day)
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

Lady Mikayla of Phoenicia

lots of poked fingers from quilting... Mom used to always tell me to make it bleed so it doesn't get infected and it works. 
"Embrace those who love you and rid yourself of those who bring you down."

The Rabbi

Kokipeli are EVIL lol. Regardless of be it a glass etching or carving into an egg anytime I do a Kokipeli design I bleed. Really popular design not sure if folks like it that much or just want to find out how bad I will bleed.
My sanity is not lost I sent it away
Proud member of FOKTOP

Becky10

Quote from: Hoowil on October 20, 2008, 01:51:50 AM
Electrical/heat burns from a shared soldering iron, where somebody left the tip across the cord when it was hot. A nice tingle in the arm, then ouch...

I was learning how to use a soldering iron and i dropped little hit metal balls onto my foot more times than i can count.
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on

Rani Zemirah

Stabbed myself night before last with my jewelers needle nose pliers, right at the base of my thumb, while I was working on a wire-wrapped stone pendant.  The pendant is fine...  ::)   
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

bookwench

I was pressing open seams on a garment - press, put down iron, fiddle with seam, press, put down iron, etc.  At one point I reached for the iron without looking and grabbed the wrong side. Owie!
"I base most of my fashion taste on what doesn't itch." -G. Radner

Nighthawk

I was cutting some antler beads for my niece yesterday and hacked the knuckle of my middle finger on my left hand...  ::) It was a second's inattention. Saw slipped, finger got in the way, and now I have a row of 6 sawtooth marks on my knuckle!

***EDIT*** And I smashed my thumb with a hammer just moments ago putting up Halloween decorations!!  >:(

jcbanner

Quote from: Nighthawk on October 27, 2010, 05:49:44 PM
I was cutting some antler beads for my niece yesterday and hacked the knuckle of my middle finger on my left hand...  ::) It was a second's inattention. Saw slipped, finger got in the way, and now I have a row of 6 sawtooth marks on my knuckle!

I have done that more times then I care to remember.  I feel your pain on this one

Nighthawk

Quote from: jcbanner on October 28, 2010, 03:58:35 PM
Quote from: Nighthawk on October 27, 2010, 05:49:44 PM

I have done that more times then I care to remember.  I feel your pain on this one

And later that same day, my nephew hit me on the knuckles with a mallet. I was teaching him to set rivets in leather. And THEN I was hammering brass tacks into my Scottish targe and smashed my thumb!! All in the same day, man!!  8) Yes, I'm just that good...

jcbanner

Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed, does it?

Nighthawk

Quote from: jcbanner on October 29, 2010, 01:12:54 PM
Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed, does it?

That, sir, it does not.