News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Wounds While Crafting

Started by Magister, May 12, 2008, 08:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyStitch

My american ekimo when I was little got into my grandmother's acrylic scarlet red paint.  I woke up to see my dog "covered" in blood...  only  it was just his paint.  The problem was that this paint bind's it's self to natural fiber.  For about 2-3 months we had a red, then pink dog.  Thankfull it happened in the spring, and she blew her coat during the summer.  Just meant extra brushing,  She was back to hiding in snow banks by winter, but good grief!
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

EmbyrretheFae

Like many crafters, I work in leather.  One lesson you can learn quickly is that the Glover's needles have surgical sharpness to their triangular tips.  Even if you drag the needle inadvertantly across the skin it will open it up.  Ive only done the drag once and it left a good sized scar.
You also learn quickly to never allow distractions to take your mind away from your work.  One afternoon I was carrying on a conversation with a friend as I was pushing the glovers through a fairly thick piece of leather.  I looked away for a second and the tip went right into the thumb straight to the bone.  The worst part about these needles is the triangle tips for they wont allow the puncture to close properly and you bleed badly.
Now I pay strict attention to my work when using them ;)
"Because I can" ;)

Nighthawk

Quote from: EmbyrretheFae on May 06, 2011, 06:19:19 AM
Like many crafters, I work in leather.  One lesson you can learn quickly is that the Glover's needles have surgical sharpness to their triangular tips.  Even if you drag the needle inadvertantly across the skin it will open it up.  Ive only done the drag once and it left a good sized scar.
You also learn quickly to never allow distractions to take your mind away from your work.  One afternoon I was carrying on a conversation with a friend as I was pushing the glovers through a fairly thick piece of leather.  I looked away for a second and the tip went right into the thumb straight to the bone.  The worst part about these needles is the triangle tips for they wont allow the puncture to close properly and you bleed badly.
Now I pay strict attention to my work when using them ;)

Oh yes... Those things can be nasty!! I've given myself more than one or two piercings... So recently, I've been assigned the duties of the clan chandler, as well as clan leather worker. I spilled a good 2 cups worth of hot melted bee's wax on the floor, with a good bit of it ending up on my bare leg and foot...  8) Yeah, I'm just that good...

Rogue Hidesmith

Quote from: Nighthawk on June 15, 2011, 12:19:49 AM
Oh yes... Those things can be nasty!! I've given myself more than one or two piercings... So recently, I've been assigned the duties of the clan chandler, as well as clan leather worker. I spilled a good 2 cups worth of hot melted bee's wax on the floor, with a good bit of it ending up on my bare leg and foot...  8) Yeah, I'm just that good...

Some women pay lots of money for a waxing of that caliber ;D
If you can do a halfassed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind. - Kurt Vonnegut
IBRSC #1603

CaraGreenleaf

It's not much compared to the others on here, but definitely painful, all the same! Broke a needle on my machine a couple weeks ago, found the tip in between my large and second toe...OUCH!!
Castleteer, IWG# 3606, MERC# 836, PRIV# 1311
Flog'n M'Crack, Chieftess of O'Cinneide

Corseter, Costumer and Crochete

Nighthawk

Quote from: Rogue Hidesmith on June 15, 2011, 05:43:59 AM

Some women pay lots of money for a waxing of that caliber ;D

You make a good point!!  :D

Niennis

Here's a story about safety!

I always wear safety goggles, gloves, leg coverings, and masks while working with dangerous supplies... well... now I do.

A couple months ago I had just borrows a dremel tool and was pretty excited to use it. At first I wore all of the protection I was supposed to. Then I just wanted to "try a little thing" and was too lazy to put on my goggles. I dremeled a bit of metal away from a piece of jewelry and ended up with some microscopic metal shavings in my eyes.

I went to the doctor that day and luckily it wasn't too bad. He gave me some drops and it all cleared up, but I could have been very injured due to laziness.

So... wear your goggles!

Also, be careful not to think "the knife isn't /that/ sharp." Oh, the scars I have from that mistake...
Hey, why not?

Hoowil

Quote from: Niennis on July 29, 2011, 03:33:04 AM

Also, be careful not to think "the knife isn't /that/ sharp." Oh, the scars I have from that mistake...
We were always told a dull knife is a dangerous knife. You're more likely to put too much force to it, and it won't leave a clean cut, but a jagged tear.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Delireus

I was trying to poke a small slit into some fake leather just now and the scissors went through it quicker than I thought and I sliced my thumb right open! I also made the slit waaay too big and the piece is ruined XD Gah!
- Shanon (with just 1 N)

Home is where
the faire is

Rani Zemirah

Cut the end of my finger with the tips of the scissor blades just now...  Sharp scissors!!!  :o
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Niennis

Careless cutting just a couple of days ago landed me with two deep cuts on my left hand. One on the joint. Ow!
Hey, why not?

deafdrummer

This has been a PAINFUL, but funny thread to read...  I'm glad I finished.  The pain was just getting to be too much.  I accidentally ground through a portion of one of my fingernails right on the nail bed with a grinding wheel that I was using to finish off metal shelves with.  THAT was painful, and I had to lay down and take deep breaths.  I watched the hole in the nail grow outward off my finger for a couple of months or so until I was finally able to cut that part off and have a whole nail again.

Keno

Funny enough all my scars are from gardening.. But I have stabbed myself while hand sewing, I have burn, sanded, cut, pierced, and skinned myself crafting, not a scar from any of it.. 
This years travels 2013

Performing
Travelers Cross Faire in Strang, Oklahoma

Vending
Iowa Renaissance Festival in Amana Colonies, Iowa
Iowa-Minnesota Pirate Festival in Clear Lake, Iowa
Des Moines Renaissance Faire in Des Moines, iowa

LadyStitch

As a stitching rennie I have many battle scars.  I added a new one 3 weeks ago.  Now my DH was nice enough to make sure that I didn't attempt to sew the night of my oral surgery.  However a couple days later I was doing a very late night sewing missing. I reached over to pick up scissors or something and the side of my hand hit the edge of my hot iron. Normally the slightest touch gets a flurry of curses out of me.  I don't' know if it was just how tired I was but I didn't feel it. I was just deadpan  "Oh I burnt myself.  Let's put it under some water."  Washed the blister off, and went back to sewing.  What my sleep deprived brain thought was just a small burn was actually a 2 inch long , quarter inch wide burn in the place on your hand where everyone's hand goes when they shake your hand.  I mentioned to the DH I had burnt my self, and since I didn't seemed phased he wasn't worried, UNTIL he actually saw the burn.  He was not pleased.

Word of advise, if you are starting a new position and being introduced to alot of people, DON"T burn your hand there.   :o
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

DonaCatalina

ugh. I've never burned myself that bad with an iron. I feel for you.
There is enough of my blood in every item I have ever made to make them relatives.
Especially the hats.....I'm wondering who ended up with the hat from the silent auction at St Voloc's.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess