News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Wounds While Crafting

Started by Magister, May 12, 2008, 08:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on August 04, 2011, 07:40:12 PM
Cut the end of my finger with the tips of the scissor blades just now...  Sharp scissors!!!  :o
Oh yeah, did that a couple weeks ago.  I was holding a doublet tab in my left hand while trimming the piping.
    Always be aware of the position of your finger in relation to the tips of the (very sharp) shears.   I opened the end of my little finger with no effort at all.
   I had to wait for hubby to get home before I could bandage it; every time I brought it down to below my heart it bled too badly to get a gauze pad on it.   I got the heck out of the sewing room (and all the white linen therein) immediately.
    It's healed now but it still gives me a twinge when I put pressure on it...
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Dustin

I managed to give myself several friction blisters whilst whittling the magic wands for the kids (pictures in the Wizard's Workshop thread over in Queen Bonnie's Realm) - three on my index finger, two on the second finger, one on the ring finger, one on my palm just below the index finger and one on my thumb. Those hurt for days, and the skin just stopped peeling off my index finger yesterday - three weeks later!
If love be rough with you, be rough with love;
Prick love for pricking, and you beat love down. Romeo & Juliet, 1.IV

GryffinSong

My brother loves to work with wood. From carving fancy spoons to building decks, fences, and other structures. One weekend, while his wife and kids were out of town, he was working in the back  yard building a new deck. With a new saw. That had the safety shield on the opposite side from his old saw. You see where this is going, don't you.  :(  He cut off his left pinkie finger, and nearly severed his ring finger. No one was home, so when he was able, he walked to the neighbor for help. They had to send one of their kids looking for the missing finger, which sent the poor kid into therapy.  :(

Anyway, long story shorter ... he had the option of them trying to save the nerves of his ring finger with the doctor at the first hospital, or air lifting him to another hospital where they'd be able to save his pinkie finger. Unfortunately, he could not choose both. He chose to save the nerves of his ring finger, because that has more impact on his grip strength. That finger's still a mess, but it is mostly functional. His pinkie ends about halfway down.
"Be yourself, everyone else is taken." - Oscar Wilde