News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

A kilt is born

Started by Marietta Graziella, September 22, 2008, 07:50:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marietta Graziella

OK, for those of you that hadn't heard the news...

VV is getting a kilt!!!  I had to make a promise in order to get him to wear one. We need not discuss to what I had to agree.  :o :D ;)

So quick, help!  Isn't there a kilt shop in Anoka?  Do they have Utilikilts?  Best options for first time kilt purchases/wearer?  What about shirt options?   I'd rather not buy the first one online.  (See how optomistic I'm being?) :D
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

Pinn

Stillwaterkilts.com, very good quality and reasonbly priced
I.P.B.
IWG# 3681
Ette
ROL #101
FOKTOP

SleepyArcher

You're only going to get a Utilikilt from their website or Ebay.
there is Stillwater Kilts and yes a shop in Anoka.
I think it's called The Frugal Corner-its on the first street as you come into Anoka from hwy 169. Take a left and it will be the store in the middle on your left.
Knight, FOP, Pirate, Woodsman...I am a man of many faces.

Muffin

Kilt's!!!!! *squeeeeeeeeeeee*

Nicely done MG!!! *clap clap clap*
A Captains Wench

It's always Beer:30 here....

*sigh* So many kilts, so little time......

Ette

escherblacksmith

Yup, Frugal Corner and Stillwater are your best bets for the small kilt (made quite well in pakistan).  Celtic Croft is another local option.

But only Frugal has a brick and mortar, the others are open by appointment (but really quick turnarounds, in the case of Stillwater).

I have a Stillwater heavyweight that I like very much.

If this is for mundane wear (in the real world sense), you will also need kilt hose (long soccer socks work well too), a kilt belt, a sporran.  Shirts can be anything that doesn't conflict with the plaid/tartan (stripes are right out).  T-shirts, polo, button down.

If this is for wearing to fest, then a basic poet shirt will work fine.   If for fest, 5-8 yards of wool or wool-blend plaid will do as well.

--

Marietta Graziella

LOL!!!

I have been begging (ahem, we'll leave out any "on the knees" comments here, thanyouverymuch) ::) him to get a kilt for years.  I think he'll look terrific in one.

So, just a couple of weekends ago at fest I seized the opportunity to ask again.  At last, when I pleaded for the kilt, he made a counter request of me, and a bargain was struck.  We have witnesses so there's no getting out of it for either of us.  BTW, thank you to all the ladies who clapped and cheered with enthusiasm at the news of another kilt klad kinsman. ;)

He'd like to buy a "proper" plaid style kilt rather than a utilikilt since he expects that he will wear it ONLY to fest.  I am hoping he'll change his mind once I get him into one (oh, and out of one! :o)

I doubt very much that he'll get a MN tartan.  I just don't see him as a purple plaid kind of man.  I would expect more of a traditional reddish or greenish color.  His family background is English, not Scottish so perhaps he'll choose something from my family background.  We'll see.  We're planning to go to Frugal tomorrow.  ;D

*will there be an "excessive use" of emoticons penalty on this?   :P

Lord Figaro

You can tell him that a guy out at our bar never thought he'd wear one, but his wife bought him one. While he doesn't do the fest thing like us. He says he loves his kilt and actually wants to get another one. He wears it quite regularly every Saturday at the bar now. So I'm sure VV will come around to enjoying it MG. 
Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes.

George Santayana

Tarac

MG the one you seen me in at twig was from the Anoka shop and are a good price for a starter, The shirt though I would look at fest say at Felix's shop. When he learns how nice they feel we can work on him going Leather.
   I have been talking with one of the Local Tailors that is part of the Royal entourage  and he has the pattern for the Utility Kilts I am hoping to get one made.
Scotch the only way to go

groomporter

The people at Celtic Croft are good friends of our and offer a wide selection of tartans, but we've got a couple guys in our booth how have just picked up kilts from http://www.thefrugalcorner.com/ in Anoka and are happy with them.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Sorcha

Like Muffin said...  Squeeeee!!!!!
There is never enough guys in kilts.   ;D

Lady Renee Buchanan

MG, Steve is English, but look into the clan names.  They have what they call "septs" with a list of last names that are associated with their clan.  That's how we got the Buchanan tartan.  Our last name is a sept of Clan Buchanan.

Steve's first kilt was a surprise Christmas present for him.  It's the real thing, made in Scotland, a formal kilt, and very, very expen$ive.  Therefore, he does NOT wear it at faire.  Sitting on bales of hay, eating slurpy things, lots of opportunities to spill, well, I'd have a fit all day wondering if he was going to ruin it.  So I'd suggest if it's something that he's just going to wear at faire, don't invest a lot of money in it.  I bought him a Sport Kilt on Ebay for around $50 in the Buchanan tartan.  It's not heavyweight wool, but I can throw it in the washing machine, and if he wants to sit on the ground or on a bale of hay, it doesn't matter.

A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Kiss-me-Kate

Oh MG, I think VV will look very handsome in a kilt.  Can't wait to see it on him.  Happy shopping!!!

and whatever bargain you struck, is well worth it.    ;)
~ Notouchin' M'Crack
Pucker Up!

SleepyArcher

Hey MG call me when you get to Anoka. Maybe we can all do lunch after he gets his kilt!!! I need to go to the store as well as I have been waiting for one to come in and I havent gotten a call lately.
Knight, FOP, Pirate, Woodsman...I am a man of many faces.

Marietta Graziella

Quote from: Sleepy on September 23, 2008, 07:59:56 AM
Hey MG call me when you get to Anoka. Maybe we can all do lunch after he gets his kilt!!! I need to go to the store as well as I have been waiting for one to come in and I havent gotten a call lately.

Alas, lunch plans are not part of our plans today.  :(  I have to work so we are heading in before my shift to take a look at things.  Sorry!

der idee_mann

Hey MG, I became a Kilted convert this last weekend, tell VV it's a wonderful thing  8) wear it well - enjoy the air conditioning

Dannicus

Anyone know the status of the Frugal Corner this week? After reading the thread I was going to head up tomorrow to get my kilt, but the website says they are out of town. I left a phone message with no response. Arg! I wanted my kilt for Sunday!
What we need in America is a renaissance. We need to go forward by going backward.   -Stanley Crouch

Marietta Graziella

I'm afraid you'll not get your kilt for Saturday.  The owner and crew are in Pennsylvania for a very large show and won't be back until next week. 

We were in Tuesday morning before they left.  Good folk.

Dannicus

Sad....well I guess....no garb this year. But on the brighter side of things, that saves me roughly 200 bucks for mead on Sunday! Woot Woot!

I wonder how long it would take me to stumble back into Shakopee?
What we need in America is a renaissance. We need to go forward by going backward.   -Stanley Crouch