News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Noob needs help.....please

Started by gamekeeper, September 22, 2008, 08:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gamekeeper

I am working on my persona as His Majesty's Gamekeeper. Being Scottish/Irish I figured that wold work well enough for my persona but I have questions.....oh so many questions.
1) Would a Scot or Irishman dare be the gamekeeper for an English king in the 1400-1500s?
2) Would an English king dare have a Scot or Irishman for a gamekeeper?
3) What socioeconomic background would one need to have to even be considered for such a role?
4)  How will the aforementioned socioeconomic background affect my garb/weapon selection?
5) How long are you folks going to let me ramble on before you tell me to shut my festering gob and just have fun?

Thank you kindly for any and all information you folks can give. Everyone has been very nice to me thus far and I can't begin to express my gratitude. 

DonaCatalina

1) Scot or Irishman is remotely possible. The border between Scotlad and England was fluid after all. Some nobles held estates in several countries.

2) The position of gamekeeper would have been limited to a particular estate. i.e. The gamekeep for Hever Castle.

3) Since this was a post of moderate responsibility, a non-native is only likely to acquire the post through marriage to someone like the Sheriff's daughter. To make this kind of marriage his background would also probably be like a younger son of a knight/Baron.

4) As a lower end of the nobility/upper end of the peasant class, your dress would have been good quality, but limited in color combinations. No bright exepensive reds or true black.

5) Remember, these are just guidelines. But if you're not too concerned about historical accuracy, just go with what you want and have fun.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Richard de Graeme

Laddie, in the time of which you speak, the Scots on the Borders would be apt to steal and plunder from any English King, unless of course the King was willing to pay for their services. The Borders were ruled by reiving clans having no particular loyalty to any authority outside of the Clan. Vengeance and spoils, through nightly forays, twas their duty and pleasure. Aye, mounted on sturdy bogtrodders, the steel bonnets road with pride to avenge the transgressions of rival clans. Burning their store houses, stealing their cattle and sheep, pillaging.....AAAGH! Pardon, good lad, I must compose me self!

If I may put forth a suggestion, perhaps a Warden of one of the Marches would be more suited to ye? They, in a fashion, were game wardens. Wardens of the two-legged game. Oh, they were powerfull, corrupt and despicably political. There was a Western, Middle and Eastern march on both the Scottish and the English sides. Good Luck to ye.

All Blessings to ye, your kith and kin.
"For it is the doom of man that they forget."
NE OUBLIE!
Purveyor of dubious wisdom
Player of spoons
Herbalist

Thorn of Tribe Ravenor

1) Would a Scot or Irishman dare be the gamekeeper for an English king in the 1400-1500s?
The English used the Scot's as game keepers a lot, they were considered men who knew what they were doing, but don't hire as anything else.  The Irish weren't as favored with the English as the Scottish.  So to answer your question, yes.

2) Would an English king dare have a Scot or Irishman for a gamekeeper?
Yes.

3) What socioeconomic background would one need to have to even be considered for such a role?
I cannot answer this question correctly with the knowledge I have.

4)  How will the aforementioned socioeconomic background affect my garb/weapon selection?
You'd wear darker colors and usually equipped with semi-primitave weapons.  Though if you worked for a king you'd probably be gifted with some flashy goodies.  A ranged weapon is a must.

5) How long are you folks going to let me ramble on before you tell me to shut my festering gob and just have fun?
About 5 more seconds...3...2...1...shut your festering gob and have fun! ;D
~Those who don't know me treat me like I'm new...those people are witches.