News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Faire Favors and Tokens

Started by Magister, May 12, 2008, 09:03:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phelyp, Lord Maydestone

Quote from: Bonny Pearl on August 18, 2011, 08:45:44 PM
So.... here is my first attempt at making favors....  not sure if I like the design or not.  Things always seem different comparing my imagination to application lol.

Very nice my lady!
It's always time for Chardonnay!

Bonny Pearl

Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Sir Stout

Quote from: Coch on February 27, 2012, 10:18:54 PM
I tried my hand at my first tokens. A small shield in my colors. I'm thinking as a handout to kids in costume.

Hi, Coch.  I really like these shields, nice job!  Are they metal, and where did you find them?

Thanks! - Josh
I'm the kind of guy who needs to have a game plan.  Unfortunately, I'm also the kind of guy who never has a game plan.

markste

scarletnyx

I have a question about the "etiquette" of handing out favors, if I may.

I do not hand our favors, but a few weeks ago at the Sherwood Celtic Fest I saw a Captain Jack lolling around the lanes, shouting " Faire Tokens, faire tokens! " or something to that effect. My experience with receiving tokens ( I got a few last year from the TRF fairies ) was that one procured them by interacting with whomever had them. When I saw the captain shouting that he had favors, it kinda... grated me. I prefer to get favors by interaction, but is what the Jack did also "acceptable"?
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

Rani Zemirah

I'm wondering if what he was hawking wasn't one of the cheaply bought or made little things that some "characters" (NOT to be confused with CAST characters, you understand) hand out to everyone they encounter in the lanes who will stand still long enough for them to do their "bit", so that they get the attention they have come looking for?  There's a huge difference between those things and the Favors that are designed, crafted and handed over to old and new friends each season by those who truly wish to give a Gift to those they meet and enjoy spending time with at Faire. 

I'm guessing that if this Jack was handing them out like candy then he neither put much time OR effort into them... and likely not much expense, either.  For most, Favors are something special, and to be kept and displayed season after season... or at least rotated when you've been given so many that you no longer have room for them all!  You can definitely tell who at Faire is generally well liked, though, by the weight of their "brag rag"...  ;D 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

scarletnyx

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on October 12, 2012, 11:21:23 PM
I'm wondering if what he was hawking wasn't one of the cheaply bought or made little things that some "characters" (NOT to be confused with CAST characters, you understand) hand out to everyone they encounter in the lanes who will stand still long enough for them to do their "bit", so that they get the attention they have come looking for?  There's a huge difference between those things and the Favors that are designed, crafted and handed over to old and new friends each season by those who truly wish to give a Gift to those they meet and enjoy spending time with at Faire. 

I'm guessing that if this Jack was handing them out like candy then he neither put much time OR effort into them... and likely not much expense, either.  For most, Favors are something special, and to be kept and displayed season after season... or at least rotated when you've been given so many that you no longer have room for them all!  You can definitely tell who at Faire is generally well liked, though, by the weight of their "brag rag"...  ;D 

Sadly I didn't think to get one to "research" it, but I think you're right. He just seemed so flippant about it. And really, captain jack? No one remembers any of the Captain Jacks they see around faire anymore ( at least, I don't ). So why try to stand out if you can see another Captain jack across the lane from you?

Bless his heart though, he was trying..? ???
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

iain robb

Does anyone know who it was who made the Tudor Rose favors and was giving them at the recent Kansas City Rendedezvous? I really should remember, but of course I don't. I need to know how they were made, since I want to make something similar.

Ms Trish

Quote from: iain robb on November 21, 2013, 08:25:04 AM
Does anyone know who it was who made the Tudor Rose favors and was giving them at the recent Kansas City Rendedezvous? I really should remember, but of course I don't. I need to know how they were made, since I want to make something similar.

Was it Lord Gauwyn's wife?
If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right!

iain robb

I don't know. I am such a loser when it comes to remembering names and faces. I'll try to get a photo of the favor at lunchtime and post it. That might help.

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: iain robb on November 21, 2013, 09:16:07 AM
I don't know. I am such a loser when it comes to remembering names and faces. I'll try to get a photo of the favor at lunchtime and post it. That might help.

I am pretty sure it was m'lady Addilay - I hear you want to know how she made them - I will ask her tonight and let you know.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

iain robb

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: iain robb on November 21, 2013, 08:25:04 AM

the basic piece is an item from Spare.Parts called 1" Round Clear Epoxy Stickers.  She used photoshop to create the image and to this she applied a firm felt back with glue (like Aileens tacky).  The epoxy stickers have an adhesive back so she just attached the image/felt piece to it an hot glued a pin (you can get the pins and stickers I know at Hobby Lobby or most craft stores).

Let me know it you have any other questions.

Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

iain robb

Thank you! That's simple and inexpensive -- two of my favorite things. I really appreciate the help.

RefMom3

What a charming idea. I've never given or received any, but it looks like such a nice custom.