News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What is your favorite shtick?

Started by jfdonohoe, July 15, 2008, 01:54:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jinx

A couple of years ago, my friend Billy and I were wandering around ORF, very early morning, after a very rainy week.  As we stood in one spot, looking for...well...I'm not entirely sure exactly what we were looking for, but we were looking around, nonetheless, a cast member stepped into the mud one one side of us and giggled madly.  "SQUISHY!" he exclaimed.  Without missing a beat, Billy says "NO!  There's monsters in the squishy!"  Said cast member went wild-eyed and jumped out of the mud.  Playing along, I said "Yes, Billy.  Monsters in the squishy.  You know they steal cheese, yes?"  At this, the cast member became a little more crazed.  "Monsters in the squishy steal the cheese?  ...What kind of cheese?"  "Oh, you know, a little of this, a little of that.  But mostly the Gouda."  "OH NO NOT THE GOUDA!"  "Yes," replied Billy.  "They loves them some Gouda."  At this, the cast member flings himself into the mud, desperately trying to get to the monsters that have stolen all the cheese, and another cast member wanders up.  "Say, wha's he doin'?"  "Looking for the cheese stealing monsters."  "Cheese...you mean like this?"  And at that, she held up the sleeve of her chemise which was, well, a similar colour to American cheese.  "Yes!  Cheese like that!"  So, this brings the attention of the first cast member.  "YOU HAVE THE CHEESE!"  And at that, covered in mud, he leaped up and went chasing after the second cast member.  It was a pretty interesting exchange. 

Later that same day, we went running as we saw a few of our friends, then got distracted by an impromptu game of tag with some random people.  I'm not sure if they were cast or other playtrons, but it was fun.  xD
Lust.
Pirate.
Wench.
Mischievous Little Imp.
Dinosaur.

VIII

I took a friend and his wife to the Faire their first time, lo, those many years ago.  she was a shy, retiring type who did not go in for the Faire type of fun.

Mid-way thru the afternoon, I insisted she have something to eat, due to the heat.  She finally chose a pickle, saying, "What harm is there in a pickle?"

After I paid for the pickle, the seller stepped back, and in his largest outdoor Faire voice announced, "PICKLE SACRIFICE NUMBER ONETHOUSANDFIVEHUNDREDANDSIXTYSEVEN!" and plunged the stick into the pickle with an ear-splitting scream worthy of an Opera-Diva-being-eaten-alive-by-rabid-weasels.

My friend's wife nearly died of shame and has never been to another Faire since!  But she did say it was one fantastic tasting pickle.
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

ladyecho

The fairies are awesome at walking up to little kids and playing with them. Then Turning to a cast member and making faces at them (the cast member can't see fairies so the kids are cracking up at this. Finally the cast member grows tired of the kids laughing at him for no reason and tells them to "go and find their parents because they can't be bothered with their childish ways".)

One year the fairies kidnapped the Mayor and put him in a twig cage labeled "human zoo". The Mayor couldn't break out because of fairy magic so he pleaded with the kids to help get the Sheriff and get him out. All the kids swarmed the Sheriff yelling at the top of their lungs that the fairies kidnapped the Mayor and they had to get him out of the cage, but when they brought the Sheriff to the Mayor the Sheriff couldn't see him due to fairy magic and then proceded to grumble to adult ears how the Mayor likes his women and mead!

Alacrity

At the ORF, there was a lady who wandered around offering a "Roll in the Hay" to men. If you accepted, she would have you kneel in the street and loudly proclaim that you were going to have a roll in the hay, and that she was going to give it to you (with many a bawdy references thrown in). After which she gave you a bun wrapped in a few twigs of hay and an official document that you went to the faire and had said roll in the hay.

Watched a good friend of mine turn bright red as he got his roll in the hay in front of wife and daughter. Hilarious.

Trust me, I'm a Dungeon Master

ladyecho

~laughing and thinking of young frankinstien~

Roll, Roll, Roll in the hay

Lord Finger

A couple of things from Sterling:

Young ladies of the court "fishing" from a balcony, using small trinkets as bait. They all go bonkers when someone is "caught".

A looong time ago, someone would occasionally toss a small bucket of water from a second story window, yelling "Chamber pot!" and narrowly missing patrons below.

robert of armstrong

Had to vouch for one of the gentlemen one of the ladies caught while fishing for thieves.  Didn't know him at all, but he said he'd buy me a pint.  Hey wait, he still owes that drink....
Always on the lookout for my next noble cause.

And because a flail don't need reloading, that's why.

AnyuBoo

Quote from: nliedel on July 16, 2008, 02:29:19 PM
I'm on cast at MIRF and I've just spent three days translating, Annie's Song and The Rose into Italian. It might go one of three ways. 1. Everyone thinks I'm nutes (true), 2. They have no idea what it is and then it dawns on them and it's funny. 3. Someone finds it romantic.

Of course I'm thinking of singing it on bended knee to various menfolk, after bringing their wives into the gag.

Don't be afraid to sucketh.

The Rose is a lovely song...and Annie's Song, is that the one by John Denver?  If so, I'll have to try and make a point of coming to listen.   :)
When everything seems to be coming your way...
...you're in the wrong lane!

Lord Finger

Quote from: robert of armstrong on July 28, 2008, 11:04:32 PM
Had to vouch for one of the gentlemen one of the ladies caught while fishing for thieves.  Didn't know him at all, but he said he'd buy me a pint.  Hey wait, he still owes that drink....

I had to promise the sheriff's daughter I'd meet her at her house at 8PM for my beheading. I didn't keep that promise either.

QueenofAttolia

I don't know what station you are... but I will tell you about our bit. it's made for peasants (really low peasants at that). It's called the "ugly stick"

You need a group of people... On main person and a group of supporting people.

The first thing you do is pick a target. When picking a target make sure to pick someone how looks like they could be taken down a peg or two. (Don't pick on people who look unhappy or emo. that's just not nice). We would look for the typical guy wearing a Hollister shirt (you know the kind) that or a guy on a date.

The main person has a stick (the uglier the better) and will quite obviously "Sneak" up on the target.
The group of people mingle with the crowd... the main person taps the target with the stick.
Then the group (of frantic women works the best) runs up to the person and starts asking "Did an old man (or whoever) just hit you with a stick???? After they reply yes, everything kinda breaks lose. Everyone starts yelling "You've been hit with the UGLY STICK!!! YOUR growing UGLY! Your features are melting.." and so on... the best exit is to run away shielding your face and crying UGLY!

We got some awesome people! One of the best reactions is when the persons friends (or we even hat a girlfriend) who would play along with us.
But I must stress it again, it is never fun to pick on people who look like they might be depressed or anything like that. Always look for the cocky jocks or the like, they are the most fun.

anyway I hope that you can use it... or if not that you at least got a smile out of reading this.

Adriana Rose

At my shop at CORF we try to play with the patrons as often as we can.

One of the shticks that I did this year was that my garlands will help keep one pure and would protect the impressionable young maidens, like my self I was protected from the unwanted advances from the pirates and other rougish men that were about. Then one of my workers always piped up with " Well what about that chap last night.." It was always lots of fun

Then there was the  seeing a patron on their cell phone, herdind all the people nearest to them away squwaking about the very contagous plauge that they could catch.

ladyecho

Cell phones! Ha ha ha! There's a guy at our faire who when he sees someone one their phone, walks up as close as he can then screams into the phone (while the person is still on it mind you) "HE CAN'T TALK RIGHT NOW! HE'S AT THE FAIRE!"

Adriana Rose

I love to do that! its soo much fun!

especially in my most annoying pissed off fish wife voice think Mrs.Weasly..

oh i cant wait for next season!